John Oliver Torpedoes Hollywood Whitewashing on Last Week Tonight

JaredJones

Jun 8, 2015
John Oliver Torpedoes Hollywood Whitewashing on Last Week Tonight

Oliver pulls no punches in his latest "How Is This Still a Thing?" segment.

The story of this year's Oscar boycott has been well documented [http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-et-oscars-so-white-reaction-htmlstory.html], the number of frivilous think pieces devoted to it in the thousands, the list of actual celebrities participating in it somewhat less than that. In some critic's eyes, the #OscarsSoWhite campaign has been a long overdue comeuppance for an industry that likes to pride itself as being more progressive and forward-thinking than the rest of the world with little evidence to support its claims.

Now just a week out from the 88th annual Academy Awards, John Oliver put his spin on the diversity problem plaguing Hollywood in one of his "Why Is This Still a Thing?" segments, taking specific aim at the claim that there simply aren't enough good roles available for actors of color.

In typical Oliver fashion, what followed was an uncompromising, scathing takedown of this notion, citing Hollywood's long tradition of casting white actors in roles specifically meant for minorities. Whether it's seeing American John Wayne cast as Genghis Khan or seeing white as paper Christian Bale and Joel Edgerton portraying Egyptian prophets Moses and Ramesses, respectively, the film industry has a long history of whitewashing history in order to suit the needs of its financial backers, as Oliver explains.

At the center of Last Week Tonight's segment is a rather telling quote that was given by Exodus: Gods and Kings director Ridley Scott, who while attempting to defend the movie's whitewashed cast, said the following [http://uproxx.com/filmdrunk/ridley-scott-explains-why-he-didnt-cast-mohammed-so-and-so-in-his-white-washed-exodus/]:

I can't mount a film of this budget, where I have to rely on tax rebates in Spain, and say that my lead actor is Mohammad so-and-so from such-and-such. I'm just not going to get it financed. So the question doesn't even come up.

Yowza.

Of course, the discrepancy be wouldn't be as noticeable, Oliver argues, if half the country didn't erupt in outrage every time a non-white actor was cast in a role originally portrayed by a white person -- look no further than the backlash Michael B. Jordan received [http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/michael-b-jordan-trolls-upset-fantastic-article-1.2233185] after being cast as the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four remake.

Check out the video above, then give us your take on the issue in the comments section.

Source: Last Week Tonight [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3XTzVzaHQEd30rQbuvCtTQ]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The first time I saw a trailer for Gods of Egypt I cried laughing. Not only does the movie just look plain pants-on-head-retarded, but every fucker is white! Like, seriously??!?! It's 2016, guys! We can cast people who at least look Egyptian, can't we?

Christ's sake.

The Last Samurai part of the segment was amazing, and the quote from Ridley Scott was... disheartening.

gact

May 26, 2014
So he just points out that people only get outraged when characters of "color" are represented by "whites"? thats far from the truth, people get mad when this happens to any race and any character, just remember everyone complaining about the cast in the last air bender. The problem is people dont care when the characters portrayed dont interest them, no one cares if moses is played by a white dude because there is no moses fan club.

Also the name of the actor does sell tickets, and that gets reflected on the funding studios give.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Oh Escapist. You folks know your audience.

The Tom Cruise as the last samurai bit was hilarious. Although I always thought that movie was supposed to be about a white guy in Japan. I've never seen it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
gact said:
... because there is no moses fan club.
Sure there is. In fact, it has millions of members.

I believe they call themselves "the Jews".

I'm here all week folks!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Isn't a huge part of it China specifically? I remember listening to several Hollywood producers saying basically that movies with black leads don't do well 'internationally'. Which means in China.

Not excusing Hollywood, just saying in a capitalist society, whatever gets you the most money is the answer. Its bullshit, but do I blame them for pandering? No, not really.

Still bullshit.

Beetlebum

Oct 14, 2011
We must stop doing everything the way we did it, because it's the current year! /sarcasm

I understand the irritation people might have when a actor is cast in a role that doesn't align with their skin colour, either way around. However just pointing towards Hollywood or the financiers and telling them to fix everything doesn't work, cause they're not a single entity and they're still making a lot of money the way they're doing things.
Vote with your wallet, start your own movie studio, be the change you want to see.

A little tantrum on a late night show might be cathartic, but it only serves to entrench people further in their own ideologies.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Maybe it's just me but I personally remember there being plenty of angry people when those whitewashing actors were announced to play these roles.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
The last time I saw someone say that another person 'torpedoed' an issue in relation to a news article, it was on every news network ever the moment anyone said anything about [Hot Button Political/Societal Mess.] A bit clickbait-y, man!

That being said, I have to say this pretty much resembles the average non-top-10 Buzzfeed article. Hell, the article even includes the classic 'Oh, I'm white, so my opinions don't matter but I totally agree that something is wrong you guys!' Disclaimer.

I'll say this. Yes, there is an issue of lots of white folks getting non-white roles, but it seems rather silly to dismiss all explanations given with a wave of the hand and 'IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR!' as if that actually presents a well thought out counterargument. If you don't like the way the Oscars currently work, maybe just try ignoring the Oscars as many have already done with the boycotts. Just don't put it in your head that boycotting will actually be very effective. The Oscars aren't a bus route, they're an award show that will already have all the money they need to continue just by virtue of being a part of Hollywood's traditions.

On another note, the comic books industry has been seeing a somewhat inverse phenomena recently where superheroes are needlessly diversified and given overly progressive ideals, yet the outrage over that is considered 'whining' by 'neckbeards.' What's even worse is that the issue in the comic books side of things is only exacerbated by how aggressive and mean-spirited the writers have become. Remember Female Thor? How she had an opponent who laid out a well-written argument on how she could have Thor's hammer, do her own thing, but maybe try doing something to differentiate herself from the original Thor? What about Squirrel Girl, who turned into a poorly drawn mass of blobs that argued with Galactus over pronouns? What about Wonder Woman deciding to let somebody beat up a guy because, and I quote, 'The lasso compels truth, but it can't stop Mansplaining'? These examples only serve to devalue actually well thought out examples of diversity in writing, such as Steve Rogers' long time friend Sam Wilson taking up the mantle of Captain America.

Maybe just acknowledge that not getting a small gold man to put on your hat (what do most people do with Oscars, anyway? I want one on my hat.) doesn't mean that your prowess is going unrecognized. All award shows are just circlejerks for whoever is popular at the moment anyway, so why even care if you don't get to join in that mass of sweaty, most likely naked actors and directors?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Amaror said:
Maybe it's just me but I personally remember there being plenty of angry people when those whitewashing actors were announced to play these roles.
Yeah there was. Sadly I think there were just as many people saying "Shut up SJWs/White Knights/Keyboard warriors" whatever the term of the day was.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of the most cringe-worthy, racist performances I have ever seen. Seriously, what the HELL was that??? I love how they also skewer the idea that we need white guys to play solely for money even if that guy has no star power, and how everyone freaks out with races other than white getting white parts. Now to see if the John Oliver Effect happens

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
DemomanHusband said:
on comic part, what your talking about is not whitewashing, whitewashing is when change a character race to a different race mostly in adaptations or historical people. what your talking is legacy characters.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
tf2godz said:
DemomanHusband said:
on comic part, what your talking about is not whitewashing, whitewashing is when change a character race to a different race mostly in adaptations or historical people. what your talking is legacy characters.
I realize that, I suppose 'inverse' issue wasn't really the proper word there. I don't really have a problem with 'blackwashing' (colorwashing? I hate how it's all about white vs color these day, sheesh.) of characters within other media because I'm not a thin-skinned, small-gold-man worshiping socialite, so 'similar in nature but not within the same type of media' might be a better way of putting what I was talking about, albeit a long-winded name for it. The issue I take is really just the handling of legacy characters. Although I'm pretty certain Squirrel Girl and Wonder Woman have remained the same, and while there's been a bit of man-hating from Wonder Woman from time to time, it never stuck with her once she actually started working with other heroes in earnest, and she never would have used the hilariously misandry-laden term 'Mansplaining' before letting another woman punch a subdued man in the face.

L3D

Jul 15, 2008
Zhukov said:

The Tom Cruise as the last samurai bit was hilarious. Although I always thought that movie was supposed to be about a white guy in Japan. I've never seen it.
Yes, Tom Cruise was a white American officer in the movie, so Tonight Show people didn't see that movie either? They were wrong about that and they used that as final punchline, I was with them to that point, but that kinda ruined the entire thing for me.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
erttheking said:
Amaror said:
Yeah there was. Sadly I think there were just as many people saying "Shut up SJWs/White Knights/Keyboard warriors" whatever the term of the day was.
And there were people saying "Shut up racist" when people were angry when minorities were cast for originally white characters. What's your point?

Sep 24, 2008
Here's the issue.

If people don't talk about it, nothing will change. It will still be the same old guard with the same old guard sensibilities. People are ok with the status quo, and people are really not ok with being forced to think about other people.

If we talk about it and something changes, everything will be suspect and hated. Boycott this Oscar because they are catering to the whiny minorities. Oddly enough, boycotting something because of whiny minorities is a valid and just think when you're a whiny majority. In fact, I've NEVER seen anyone whine so hard as the Current Majority. Did you see the hate about Finn being cast a leading role in the latest Star Wars?

If you haven't, it looks like this [http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/19/racists-urge-boycott-of-star-wars-episode-vii-over-black-lead-and-most-of-them-love-trump.html].

I just want certain people to admit that they outright don't like other people instead of acting like they just don't want to see pandering. That's at least a conversation to have because it's something of honesty and substance. Not claptrap that really doesn't hold water.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
L3D said:
Zhukov said:

Yes, Tom Cruise was a white American officer in the movie, so Tonight Show people didn't see that movie either? They were wrong about that and they used that as final punchline, I was with them to that point, but that kinda ruined the entire thing for me.
Tom Cruise was a white American, yes. However he was the Last Samurai. All the other Samurai in the movie actually were killed off. He's the last one. In a movie with Asians out the ass the whitest guy ever is the last member of a very culturally Japanese group.

Fuck that.

The point of that was the Last Samurai was a movie set in Japan, steeped in Japanese culture and the conflict between Japans past and its future. In all that the story focused entirely on the white guy and after everything is said and done, the white guy is the one who saves Japan's soul.

Again. Fuck. That.

People losing their shit over the inverse is also the most infuriating thing ever. How many people lost their collective shit (the bad way) over Heimdall in Thor being a black guy instead of yet another white guy? Or for a really recent thing, look at the shit the people who made Hamilton have been dealing with. They cast every character (except King George) as a poc and they've been getting shat on for "distorting history" despite the fact that they never seem to bat an eye when Hollywood casts a white person as a Native American.

Dreph

Jun 27, 2015
shintakie10 said:
People losing their shit over the inverse is also the most infuriating thing ever. How many people lost their collective shit (the bad way) over Heimdall in Thor being a black guy instead of yet another white guy?
I mean I get the "historical context", but those people are clearly wrong and for one very obvious reason. Idris Elba should pretty much play every roll ever.

Well... Not Loki. Tom Hiddleston has that character pretty much perfect.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
Dreph said:
shintakie10 said:
People losing their shit over the inverse is also the most infuriating thing ever. How many people lost their collective shit (the bad way) over Heimdall in Thor being a black guy instead of yet another white guy?
I mean I get the "historical context", but those people are clearly wrong and for one very obvious reason. Idris Elba should pretty much play every roll ever.

Well... Not Loki. Tom Hiddleston has that character pretty much perfect.
Phew, I get that this post isn't entirely serious, but the fact that I've had more than a few friends legitimately make similar arguments to me just exasperates me.

I'd say dramatic irony is a lost art, but that's mostly because we live in it so often that apparently nobody notices.