Johnny Depp Is Mad And Creepy

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I've heard a lot of different kinds of criticism about Johnny Depp over the years, but this is honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone even suggest he was anything but the best part of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

PlasticPorter

Aug 27, 2008
Malygris said:
I've heard a lot of different kinds of criticism about Johnny Depp over the years, but this is honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone even suggest he was anything but the best part of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
"Jack sparrow is the most 2-dimensional character in a "popular" movie I have ever seen, the executives of the 1st pirates movie found out exactly what the audience liked i.e. Johnny Depp wobbling around and spouting quirky catch phrases and decided to make that the ENTIRETY of the sub-par 2nd and God awful 3rd movies. By the halfway mark of the 2nd film he basicly parodiezes his own character unintentionaly.
and notice how i said Johnny Depp ruined PIRATES, not Pirates of the Carribean. Pirates are cool, Pirates of the Carribean is lame and drawn out and I will allways remember seeing "Worlds End" as the day i discovered a movie trilogy with a more drawn out ending than lord of the rings.

Isaac Dodgson

The Mad Hatter
May 11, 2008
A few sources mention that this may or may not even be how depp will look, as the movie would incorporate live action with motion capture like Beowulf, so this could just be an artists rendition, or a concept costume.

Source [http://movies.gearlive.com/movies/article/q107-getting-into-character-johnny-depp-as-the-mad-hatter/]
Source (With a link to other actual shots from the set...just two) [http://www.cinematical.com/2008/11/17/is-this-johnny-depp-as-the-mad-hatter/]
Source, no picture but states the same thing about motion caputure [http://www.stuff.co.nz/4765138a1860.html]

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Okay, err... did I got redirected to some movie news website or what?
I think when people commented on the lack of news here, they meant video games news you know.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I quite like Depp as an actor, I think he's really quite good. Will he be the right person for the role as the Mad Hatter? We shall see when the film comes out, until then I'm going to hope it doesn't get fucked up and this is a film that people will remember as one of those good remakes you hear people talking fondly about for years afterwards.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Not really impressed by the photo. Guess it doesn't fit my tastes. Depp looks like more a homeless clown than a lunatic, but I find that oddly appropriate for Burton's hight-hearted darkness. Still might see the movie, I do love Burton films.

Feb 13, 2008
All depends on how Alice is. I'm a huge fan of all three, but attempted gestalts have a habit of turning all the constituents to pap.

And Gene Wilder beats the living pants out of him for Willy Wonka.

calelogan

Jun 15, 2008
Depp does in fact usually play some weird and/or peculiar roles.

I admire him for being so versatile and successfully executing so many different characters.

But being the Mad Hatter does not impress me.

Now...if he were to play Alice. THAT I'd like to see and would be impressive.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Malygris said:
He wasn't the best part of the films. Before I got tired of everyone fangirling (and sometimes fanboying) over him, I thought we was amusing but nothing more. I'd criticize his character in the second and third films, but honestly, that would be unfair since the character development in both of those sucked.

For me, there is only the first Pirates movie.

As for Johnny Depp himself, I'm just tired of him being in every film. Then again, I liked when Tim Burton did the Planet of the Apes remake. Granted it wasn't as great as the original, missing a lot of the actual commentary being made and going for just Hollywood fun, but hey, it was a fun movie, and it wasn't the typical "everything must look Goth!" type of film.

This? This is going to spawn a shit ton of Hot Topic merchandise before it is even released with a bunch of teens that never even read the book (though gotta admit I haven't either) declaring it as the best piece of motion art ever.

It really is hard for me not to judge someone when they declare love for Burton and/or Depp. It basically says "lookit me, I'm a hopeless little goth boy/girl that likes things because society tells me it fits with my image".

fluffylandmine

Jul 23, 2008
ccesarano said:
fluffylandmine said:
Tim Burton is one of the few movie industry people I would allow in my fallout shelter should the time arrive.

And since Depp isn't that bad(he has his moments where I'm lead to utter confusion and discust) I suppose he could have the upper left corner near the door...but only if there is no more Willy-Wonka without it being the original.
Because, y'know, the "original" Willy Wonka had SO MUCH to do with the original book, as opposed to Burton's flick.

Yep.

As for this, my first thought was "Why doesn't he just team up with American McGee?...in fact, hasn't American McGee been working on Alice as a film since forever? Huh...".

This is a much better role for Depp than Sweeny Todd was. I got to see the original play and the play Into the Woods by the same writer, and they were awesome. But Depp as Sweeny Todd was a horrid casting choice. Depp is the wrong kind of insane to play Todd.
I hated the book and loved the original(strange), but I will agree on the whole American McGee idea.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
After Sweeney Todd, I will see everything that Depp and Burton team up in from now on. Bring it on, it looks deliciously mad
After Sweeney Todd AND Corpse Bride, you mean. Both were excellent, in my opinion.

Nov 28, 2007
Arbre said:
Okay, err... did I got redirected to some movie news website or what?
I think when people commented on the lack of news here, they meant video games news you know.
No, you didn't get redirected to a movie news website. But the name of the forum is "The News Room", not "The Video Game News Room".

Jobz

May 5, 2008
Alice in Wonderland has always been my favorite fairy tale (If you consider it a fairy tale, and I do) it's also my favorite animated Disney film.

I especially enjoy dark re-imaginings of the Alice stories. Whether it be Alice in Wonderland or Through The Looking Glass (The lesser known sequel). So I'm quite excited about this, I just hope it doesn't turn into anything that resembles Burton's version of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. That was just awful.

Nov 28, 2007
Jobz said:
Alice in Wonderland has always been my favorite fairy tale (If you consider it a fairy tale, and I do) it's also my favorite animated Disney film.

I especially enjoy dark re-imaginings of the Alice stories. Whether it be Alice in Wonderland or Through The Looking Glass (The lesser known sequel). So I'm quite excited about this, I just hope it doesn't turn into anything that resembles Burton's version of Charlie & The Chocolate Factory. That was just awful.
What are you talking about? The only movie version of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory starred Gene Wilder in a great interpretation of Willy Wonka. There was never a remake involving Johnny Depp as Willy Michael Jackson Wonka. You're just imagining things.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
i'll be watching that when it comes out. johnny depp rules. i'm not gay but for him i'd make an exception!