Jojo Thread! All of the Jojo Series Are on Netflix Too!

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Is it coming to Netflix as a simultaneous release?

Also, does Netflix still not have part 5?

I've been watchingJojo with some friends over the course of the pandemic. I've seen all of it and am rewatching, they're watching Jojo for the first time. We're currently half-way through season 4.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I should really finish Part 4 already... I have no idea what's happening here.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Cool, should be fun. Also, Weather Forecast? It's Weather Report, you numbnuts. You know, like the jazz fusion band? Like how tons of JoJo characters are named after bands?

I should really finish Part 4 already... I have no idea what's happening here.
JoJo's parts become more and more stand-alone as time went on. You don't really need to have seen/read parts 1-5 to follow 6's plot. About the most important thing is that Jolyne is Jotaro's daughter.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I take it you're not a Jojo fan. Afraid of the memes.
No I am not a JoJo fan. I tried watching the show. It was too.....jojo for me. But yes, I am also dreading the resurgence of rabid jojo fans, flooding the internet with jojo memes and references. I mean they're already terrible about it :p Giving them more fuel for the jojo fire, just fills my soul with dread.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No I am not a JoJo fan. I tried watching the show. It was too.....jojo for me. But yes, I am also dreading the resurgence of rabid jojo fans, flooding the internet with jojo memes and references. I mean they're already terrible about it. Giving them more fuel for the jojo fire, just fills my soul with dread.
Which season did you start with? Part 1 is pretty basic and it's not all that bizarre, even by the 80s standard. Part 2 is a bit more bizarre, but it's still pretty straightforward. Actually one of my favorite parts though. I prefer Parts 2 and 4. Part 3 is fine, but it drags on too long with the monster of the week formula. I have little interest in Part 5, so I'm just waiting for Part 6. It's funny when you realize that a lot of Japanese companies in the '90s, the early 2000, and now are huge JoJo fans. Capcom are the biggest fans of Jojo. There is some type of minor or major JoJo reference in a least one of their games. Nero's Devil Trigger in DMC 4 is basically a stand. There's also Donovan from Darkstalkers. He is a huge JoJo reference.

And let's not forget about Hellsing.

Expect plenty of that phrase for a while. You should be fine on this website. What websites or other forms you to visit that do that a lot? though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Which season did you start with? Part 1 is pretty basic and it's not all that bizarre, even by the 80s standard. Part 2 is a bit more bizarre, but it's still pretty straightforward. Actually one of my favorite parts though. I prefer Parts 2 and 4. Part 3 is fine, but it drags on too long with the monster of the week formula. I have little interest in Part 5, so I'm just waiting for Part 6. It's funny when you realize that a lot of Japanese companies in the '90s, the early 2000, and now are huge JoJo fans. Capcom are the biggest fans of Jojo. There is some type of minor or major JoJo reference in a least one of their games. Nero's Devil Trigger in DMC 4 is basically a stand. There's also Donovan from Darkstalkers. He is a huge JoJo reference.

And let's not forget about Hellsing.

Expect plenty of that phrase for a while. You should be fine on this website. What websites or other forms you to visit that do that a lot? though.
I started with season 1. I got about...I dunno, 3 or 4 episodes in? Starting the show by fucking burning his pet dog alive, kiiiind of soured me on the whole project. But I just couldn't get into it.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Is it coming to Netflix as a simultaneous release?
It's kinda murky. AFAIK american Netflix releases animes(like any other stuff) in bulk. Netflix Japan though, follows a weekly schedule.
What's more curious is that the show will drop on the US Netflix before it does in Japan.

Cool, should be fun. Also, Weather Forecast? It's Weather Report, you numbnuts. You know, like the jazz fusion band? Like how tons of JoJo characters are named after bands?
Get used to it. Later JoJos are a copyright nightmare. I for one am excited to see more of the likes of Flaccid Pancake and Spicy Ladys.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I started with season 1. I got about...I dunno, 3 or 4 episodes in? Starting the show by fucking burning his pet dog alive, kiiiind of soured me on the whole project. But I just couldn't get into it.
Yeah, the author had an obsession with villains being cruel to animals or other pets. He finally got past that stage in part 4. Part 2 has a little bit of it, but nowhere near to the extent of what Dio did in Part 1. Part one is basically Castlevania combined with Fist of the North star. It can be a bit entertaining, but most of of the characters are a little flat. Part two has much better story, characterization, and pacing. I recommend that you least watch that one. It's basically Indiana Jones, but with Aztec vampires. Joseph Joestar is a much better protagonist and one of my favorites. Definitely find him better than part one's Jonathan or part three's Jotaro.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
You know, I'm interested how it turns out, but I've never found it all that bizarre. Nonsensical at times, especially Part 4, but as long as you aren't describing powers the story is pretty straightforward.

They've had to change quite a few names over the years. Copyright/trademark issues.

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
As long as there's a way to watch it with fansubs I'm happy. I'm not dealing with copyright name bullshit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As long as there's a way to watch it with fansubs I'm happy. I'm not dealing with copyright name bullshit.
I'm watching it dubbed any way, so no big deal for me. I already know a website that will have it subbed sooner than later.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I marathoned all the episodes they have available. That's 12, and I am already hooked. For record, all of the Jojos are available on Netflix in dub or sub, so you got all of the options open to you. Since Part 4 is up there too, I'll finish that up this week(end).

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Still need to finish Part 3 before I watch this and I'm usually pretty good about being able to fill in the gaps of continuity I miss so I don't mind skipping around.

Why would you deny yourself the glory that is English dub Joseph? The actor for him knew exactly what was required of him and is loving every second of it.

Which season did you start with? Part 1 is pretty basic and it's not all that bizarre, even by the 80s standard. Part 2 is a bit more bizarre, but it's still pretty straightforward. Actually one of my favorite parts though. I prefer Parts 2 and 4. Part 3 is fine, but it drags on too long with the monster of the week formula. I have little interest in Part 5, so I'm just waiting for Part 6.
My only real problem with Part 3 is that Jotaro is ostensibly the main character yet in practice Polnareff seems to be the actual main character given how much screentime he has.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Still need to finish Part 3 before I watch this and I'm usually pretty good about being able to fill in the gaps of continuity I miss so I don't mind skipping around.

Why would you deny yourself the glory that is English dub Joseph? The actor for him knew exactly what was required of him and is loving every second of it.

My only real problem with Part 3 is that Jotaro is ostensibly the main character yet in practice Polnareff seems to be the actual main character given how much screentime he has.
It's why I rarely ever bother with part 3. If I ever do watch it, I just skip the most unnecessary episodes and move on to what's important. Part 3 is definitely overrated. The Japanese love the crap out of part 3. Joseph Joestar his hands down tis he best English dubbing for a main character in the entire series.