Joker Sets His High School On Fire

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Joker Sets His High School On Fire

Arson is no joke, even when it's committed by a man dressed as the Joker.

Politicians that blame comic books and videogames for society's ills may have a new real-world example to use in their arguments for getting rid of anything fun. An Irish man was recently caught red-handed burning down his former high school dressed as the Joker. Arson everywhere is soon to be blamed on the existence of Batman.

The Joker is Batman's longtime arch nemesis and may have risen to a new level of popularity thanks to Heath Ledger's portrayal of him in the mega-hit movie The Dark Knight. Christopher Clancy of Clondalkin, Ireland attempted to get into the spirit of the comic book/movie villainy by dressing up as the Joker, pouring gasoline around his high school, and lighting it on fire.

When police arrived on the scene they saw a man dressed "in a purple suit, with green hair, a white face and red painted lips," just like the Joker. "He then told us to go around the corner and we would see what he had done," police said. Clancy was upset because he believed the school was "run by hypocrites" and says he "didn't like the way they treated my friends."

Clancy's arson reportedly caused more than $1 million in damages, which is a pretty lame act when it comes to Joker standards. If the Joker was mad at the way a school treated his "friends," he would have just blown up the entire school while everyone was in it, including his friends. This was obviously an attempt to get attention or just misguided teenage anger. Totally lame Clancy, totally lame.

Source: io9 [http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/joker-set-fire-to-old-school-in-revenge-on-hypocrite-staff-2273186.html]

laryri

May 19, 2008
Pfft... Why blow up the school with everybody in it when you could trap everybody inside and tell them that you have a mole and a bomb in every room and watch as they all turn against each other.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Considering that he could afford the gasoline and not any laughtergas, makes this incident a joke off the joker.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I wonder if he was inspired by that recent story where a guy in a Darth Vader mask robbed a bank. The difference is, Darth Vader got away with it, while The Joker couldn't.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
If I ever snap, god forbid, and decide to light somewhere on fire, I will at least have the decency to get rid of all evidence that suggests I've been near comics and games before doing it. I especially wouldn't dress up like a character from one, otherwise you may as well just blatantly say "they made me do it"

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
I bet his "Friend." was two face. Seeing what piece of news was directly below this made me laugh.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
Holy crap, I have the power of clairvoyance, when I saw the thread I predicted this scenario.
Bow down before my luck!

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
are we sure he set it on fire because of his mates or because he was trying to increase work for the local unions?

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!

That man has my respect, seeing as he had the balls to do it. And it now gives me new ideas for how I'm going to light my school on fire before I die

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
mrtenk said:
Wait wait wait wait wait wait... since when does the joker have "friends"?
Since when did he commit pre-meditated arson on schools that don't have anything he wants for the next phase of his scheme against Batman?

I'd like to know which version of Joker he was dressed as. Something tells me he's of a more recent 'greasy hobo' style of Joker, rather than the classic 'clown pimp'.

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Stupid Irish news! Why are we only finding out about this now when it happened over a year ago!?

titaniumChampion

Nov 27, 2009
After seeing the Dark Knight, I too wanted to rage at the world for creating such a terrible overhyped long-winded depressing villain movie with a pointless ending. Not so much to burn down a high school though.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
It's not "High School" in Ireland, it's secondary school. And it was about a year ago, he was just up in court today (the cogs of Justice turn slowly in Ireland).

Fuckin' moron though. Still he's garnered a certain kind of immortality...

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
I'm fairly positive that this isn't going to much media attention as it doesn't involve a game. They MIGHT use Arkham Asylum footage though in their news report.