Jon Stewart Leaving The Daily Show This Year

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
I...Jon and Colbert were the reason I even got into or began to care about politics.

They helped shape my world view (even though I didn't agree with them all the time) and I genuinely believe the two to be good folk. Just listening to them outside of their show personas, both are and were stand up gents.

I'm sincerely going to miss them.... and it's quite a damned sad time. I'm sure they'll continue to be a big part of our entertainment-lives (Colbert especially), but it really seems like an era is ending.

I don't have a source for TV news that will be straight with me. Won't bullshit. Will have their agenda on their sleeve and try to be honest.

Just. Damn it. D:

That said? John Oliver's doing an excellent job over on HBO. I like the guy and he'll probably fill the void left behind by Stewart/Colbert to some extent.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
This is sorta... weird to hear.

I fell out of limbo with the Daily Show (And subsequently Colbert) for a good number of months now for reasons. I kinda kept away from it for a while and was mildly bummed, but ultimately prepared, for Colbert to end, so that one never really struck me. I've been meaning to get back into the Daily Show recently, and now to read this, I'm not sure how to feel. I guess disappointed is the best word. Steward, whether I agreed with what they were covering or not, was ultimately a cool, down-to-earth and genuine dude who fit perfectly into the role of helping summarize the crazy goings on in the world in a comedic fashion for the youth.

If he's stepping down and the Daily Show plans to keep going, I honestly don't know who'd be able to fill his shoes. Not that it's impossible, but I hope whoever it is opts not to be a funny newscaster, but rather a newscaster who's funny, like I feel Steward is.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Honestly made me sad when I heard the news. Just like many here, he got me into politics. As for being fake news, The Daily Show did put the big news channels in their and uncover the massive turd they always leave. I did notice he seemed a bit tired and needed a break or something with the amount of crap the political world is throwing out lately. If John Oliver didn't leave to do HBO, Last Week Tonight is a great show by the way and very insightful bit recently about relationships between doctors and drug company which is shocking too as some from outside of the US, he would have taken Colbert's or Stewarts slot but HBO gives him so much freedom.

Either way, thank you Jon Stewart for making many laugh, smile and see some honest truth and just telling it like it is when any politician tries to fool voters.

Side Note: So, Brian Williams was "suspended" for lying. When will other new readers suffer the same fate then? Or was Williams just a scapegoat to cover up and shy away from how the news is really like?

Demagogue

Sperm Alien
Mar 26, 2009
Mid Boss said:
Scribblesense said:
LysanderNemoinis said:
Quick, somebody put Bob on suicide watch! Dear God, he might not be able to handle this. Where will he and those like him go to get their worldview reinforced? I mean aside from ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, CNN, CNBC, MSNBC, Hollywood, the music industry (aside from most country), TV, half of newspapers, about a third of AM radio, etc.
Wait, if you're here, then who's filibustering Congress? Somebody might do something useful!
Oh God, they just passed a bill that strengthens equal pay laws. Where the hell were you Scribblesense!? You have failed us!
Okay... this made me laugh.

OT - Wow... I wonder why he is stepping down, I hope things are okay. :( He will be missed.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I salute the man. I'm sad to see him leave, but I'm always relieved to see people quit while they are ahead. With Colbert throwing going on to bigger things, and John Oliver showing himself capable of following in Stewarts footsteps, it feels kind of like an appropriate moment for a generational shift.

I was watching The Daily Show almost religiously for five or six years. I only stopped after my TV viewing habits shifted towards watching everything online, and Comedy Central a year or so later decided to pull all their online content for Europeans :-/ I still catch an episode every once in a while though, and it's still as brilliant as ever.

Jon Stewart will always be an entertainer I look up to. Not only for pioneering what has become one of my favorite type of comedy shows, but also for the way he understands that nothing is ever "just a joke". There are so many people that hide behind "satire" as an excuse to say whatever they want and retort with "why can't you take a joke?" or "you don't get it, it's satire" when they are criticized for it. But Jon Stewart always acknowledges that he means every word he says, and he is ready to stand for it when he comes under fire.

At the same time he rarely lets it go to his head. He remembers that he is an entertainer first and foremost, as much as he takes his role seriously, he never takes himself too seriously. Which I imagine is not an easy thing to do o_O

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
YES! Now I don't have to be bothered with Jon's BS anymore on Comedy Central. This is like a 2nd Christmas present after Colbert left. Now I can finally enjoy the actual comedic shows on the network without being pestered by the propaganda!

Edit: The fact that most people in the comments are saying that Stewart/Colbert got them interested in politics, that just saddens me. It really does show what is wrong with kids today.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Hdawger said:
Edit: The fact that most people in the comments are saying that Stewart/Colbert got them interested in politics, that just saddens me. It really does show what is wrong with kids today.
Or as I stand on the other side of the fence, this shows whats wrong with politics today.

Also way is everyone surprised John is leaving? His show was starting to dry up, time for a fresh face and take. Larry, Larry, Larry.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Damn. This is definitely the end of an era. Jon Stewart is one of those comedic talents that was a sane voice breaking through the insanity of this world. Even in our darker moments such as the aftermath of 9/11, he was there for us offering comfort and humor. It's going to be interesting to see who takes over for The Daily Show because Jon is leaving behind some big shoes.

Godspeed, Jon Stewart, and thank you.

Lt. Rocky

Jan 4, 2012
Godamnit, I was emotional and slightly puppy-eyed when I heard Colbert was departing,

Now I'm having a 'glass case of emotion' moment.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Good, I haven't been able to stomach it for years. It was so sad. As more and more young viewers came to view his show as somehow being more "real" news, it transformed more and more into the sort of slanted, ideological, ratings-driven bias-confirming infotainment drivel that Stewart had always railed against. It's hard to watch someone you used to respect become that which they profess to hate.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Aiddon said:
Man, and we thought having to fill Colbert's shoes was going to be an issue. I don't envy the guy who has to take up the helm after Stewart.
Tell me about it, those two are a hell of an act to follow. I wish whoever get's their spots the best of luck though.

OT: I wish he would stay longer but holy crap, it's really been fifthteen years already?

deathmothon

Nov 30, 2013
There had been a real downtick in quality over the last few years. He was tired. You could hear it in the throwaway comments he made before and after going on vacations and the like. He took the time to make Rosewater, and I guess he realized he didn't want to be tied to the daily show anymore.

He was golden as a counter weight to the Bush years stupidity, but wasn't as impactful with Obama. Combined with the loss of passion, I only watched once every week or 2 for the last year.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Kinda weird. I'd never really thought that a comedy news anchor stepping down would make me feel sad and yet here we are.

I wonder where he'll be going.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Hdawger said:
YES! Now I don't have to be bothered with Jon's BS anymore on Comedy Central. This is like a 2nd Christmas present after Colbert left. Now I can finally enjoy the actual comedic shows on the network without being pestered by the propaganda!

I know right! These kids these days not falling for Fox News, CNN and MSNBC "journalism", taking every word they say as if its sweet nectar and pitting different groups in battle and over exaggerating EVERYTHING, just to fuel their ratings. Damn these kids for not falling for every politicians word and not voting for or staying loyal to the same party every 4 years, even when a new representative comes in with different motives to the last, they still don't want to follow blindly into the abyss. Kids these days seeing through the bullshit so damn easily.

This generation is blah blah blah rabble rabble...

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
This could have a significant impact on the 2016 elections. Stewart is one of, if not the most important left wing advocates.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
This is a shame. Like Bill Maher, I struggle to catch Jon Stewart over here in the UK but when I do, it's worth it. It's a sad indictment of the media when a "fake" news show has to tell the truth and expose the lies. Jon did all that whilst also making me laugh but I can see how it might eventually grind him down.

I'm sure he's not going away and that we haven't heard the last from him...at least I hope not!

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Paradox SuXcess said:
Hdawger said:

I know right! These kids these days not falling for Fox News, CNN and MSNBC "journalism", taking every word they say as if its sweet nectar and pitting different groups in battle and over exaggerating EVERYTHING, just to fuel their ratings. Damn these kids for not falling for every politicians word and not voting for or staying loyal to the same party every 4 years, even when a new representative comes in with different motives to the last, they still don't want to follow blindly into the abyss. Kids these days seeing through the bullshit so damn easily.

This generation is blah blah blah rabble rabble...

Well done, sir!