Joss Whedon Explains New Avengers 2 Cast Members

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Guffe said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Guffe said:
How many will they add?
Wasn't there supposed to be a space-prate-raccoon-thingy and AntMan for the second one?
Now a Witch and some SilverDude?
The movie will be one big RoyalRumble!!
The raccoon is in Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man has his movie coming out after Avengers 2. I doubt either of them will be in this one
AntMan is set to come after Ave2? ok thought he was going to BE IN the second, my miss...
But I've read here on the escapist that the raccoon from GotG would be in the Avengers, maybe those are just rumours thou....
Maybe Rocket Raccoon is due to show up in Avengers. If he is, I personally don't know about it.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
The Hungry Samurai said:
Anachronism said:
I thought Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were owned by Fox on account of being part of the X-Men franchise? Or am I missing something here? In any case, it'll be a little odd to see them in a universe where Magneto doesn't exist. Should be interesting, though.
I'm still hoping that the Agents of Shield series is going to be there to facilitate all those characters that have movie rights tied up elsewhere. It'd be a great place to see some Whedony Marvel Xmen /Spiderman goodness.
I hadn't thought about this. I mean, Marvel did just require the tv rights to Spider-Man so this is very possible.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Essentially, they have to avoid the whole Xmen universe.
Which could be tricky, but consider they don't necessarily have t o give a lot of back story. How much did we get on Hawkeye and Black Widow?

Entitled said:
Hahaha, our IP laws are just fucking absurd.
This has nothing to do with IP laws and everything to do with licensing. After all, mutants in the Marvel Universe never stopped being Marvel's intellectual property. Same with X-Men. They made some deals, however, that have come to bite them in the ass down the line.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
This has nothing to do with IP laws and everything to do with licensing. After all, mutants in the Marvel Universe never stopped being Marvel's intellectual property. Same with X-Men. They made some deals, however, that have come to bite them in the ass down the line.
I think that you mean to say that this has nothing to do with copyright laws.

But if licensing can be written in a way that divides who gets to use which elements of a creatve work can be used, then I will call it a part of "IP laws".

Oh, and by the way there is no legal definition of what counts as "Intellectual Property", as that phrase is just an informal figure of speech popularized in 1967 by an organization called the WIPO, and only caught on around 1990 [http://www.gnu.org/graphics/seductivemirage.png], as a catch-all term for the actual legal categories of patents, trademarks, copyright, and occasionally anti-plagiarism, and various publisher rights.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Quiotu said:
Entitled said:
Tombsite said:
Anachronism said:
I thought Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were owned by Fox on account of being part of the X-Men franchise? Or am I missing something here? In any case, it'll be a little odd to see them in a universe where Magneto doesn't exist. Should be interesting, though.
Because they first showed up as characters in the Avengers comics they can be used outside of the x-men. But only as long as you do not mention mutants, Magneto or X-men.

Long live lawyers I guess
To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Whedon poked fun of that in the film itself. He's sorta known for poking fun at his own work.

Captain A: So... what's you two's story? How'd you get your powers?
Scarlet Witch: From our father, of course.
Captain A: And... who's your father?
Scarlet Witch: Well, you see-
Fury: Stop! Rogers, I get you don't trust them, but there's some holes you just don't stick your head down. I vouch for them, leave it at that.
"Dear God, Please let that be a direct quote in the movie. Amen" , And all the Nerds say "Amen".

Mr. Whedon is definitely the type too pull that stunt. Of course, it will be 3-to-1 odds that the studios will let it by. Maybe if we do not tell them it is a joke.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
DRTJR said:
I say Squirrel Girl for Avengers 3.
Sounds appropriately nuts.
Make it happen.
YES YES ONE MILLION TIMES YES!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *breaths* NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I just realized, she can not be in Avengers 2. She is a mutant, all rights too mutant IPs are owned by FOX (curse you FOX). FOX is putting out crappy movies just to keep the IPs (or try to sell them for a bigger profit).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Entitled said:
Oh, and by the way there is no legal definition of what counts as "Intellectual Property", as that phrase is just an informal figure of speech popularized in 1967 by an organization called the WIPO, and only caught on around 1990 [http://www.gnu.org/graphics/seductivemirage.png], as a catch-all term for the actual legal categories of patents, trademarks, copyright, and occasionally anti-plagiarism, and various publisher rights.
Of which this doesn't fit. So yeah, even with your nitpicking, it doesn't work. My point still stands.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
llagrok said:
xPixelatedx said:
You know what Avengers 2 really needs? A plot. A bad-guy from a previous movie coming back with an army out of nowhere... "just because", isn't going to work again. I don't care how witty the Joss Whedon banter is. It worked in the first movie because apparently that's all they could think of to get all the heroes together, but now that they're a team, try and add a smidgen of complexity, if it isn't too much trouble.
This is a bit too much to ask I think.

It's Whedon and it's a huge blockbuster. They won't risk anything other than some drawn out yawn of a snark-fest.
And Moviebob will call it the greatest thing ever in the world because it hits all the right geek points.

On topic!

Agreed that its probably goin to feel highly out of place with their backstory bein completely hidden. They'll probably try to pretend its all mysterious so that they can reveal it whenever Marvel gets the rights to X-men back, but the chances of that happenin any time soon is pretty much nil.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
How about the Scarlet Witch start by rewriting reality to give Hawkeye and the Black Widow some real super powers. :p

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I hope the weird incest vibe come through with Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch. Because controversial tears are delicious

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I look forward to the day when all Marvel characters are owned by a single company. If that ever happens. Which doesn't seem likely. Because this is chaotic and I don't like it.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
I'm going to sidestep the whole controversy and just state that Colton Haynes would make an excellent Pietro. He has the smug, rich, elitist asshole attitude down pat. He's also almost painfully good-looking, which can only be a good thing.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
not sure if I want to see these two on the big screen, but ehh that might just be me

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Fappy said:
Anachronism said:
Back when they initially signed over the X-Men properties to FOX they specifically left out the characters Scarlet Which and Quicksilver in the event of an Avengers movie.

OT: Wonder how they will explain their origins give FOX's current ownership of X-Men movie rights.
It's rumored he's going to make them inHumans which would make sense and be a resonable way to go...but part of me can't help but wonder the shit storm it would cause with comic book nerds (don't get me wrong, i'm one of them) if he made them the children of Thanos....cause from a film perspective that would make improve the narrative in my opinion.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Aarowbeatsdragon said:
Fappy said:
Anachronism said:
Back when they initially signed over the X-Men properties to FOX they specifically left out the characters Scarlet Which and Quicksilver in the event of an Avengers movie.

OT: Wonder how they will explain their origins give FOX's current ownership of X-Men movie rights.
It's rumored he's going to make them inHumans which would make sense and be a resonable way to go...but part of me can't help but wonder the shit storm it would cause with comic book nerds (don't get me wrong, i'm one of them) if he made them the children of Thanos....cause from a film perspective that would make improve the narrative in my opinion.
Them being Inhumans I can swallow, but children of Thanos? No thanks.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Entitled said:
Tombsite said:
Anachronism said:
Because they first showed up as characters in the Avengers comics they can be used outside of the x-men. But only as long as you do not mention mutants, Magneto or X-men.

Long live lawyers I guess
Got nothing to do with it, its contracts.