Joss Whedon Responds to Buffy Reboot News

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Joss Whedon Responds to Buffy Reboot News

The man who dreamed up Buffy the Vampire Slayer says he isn't resentful towards the people working on the reboot.

Warner Bros. announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105532-Stake-Me-Now-Warner-Bros-Rebooting-Buffy-The-Vampire-Slayer] yesterday that it was planning to reboot Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Not the TV show, mind you, the movie that came before it. The reboot will also not feature any input from Buffy creator Joss Whedon, something the man isn't too happy about.

He took it with good grace however, taking playful jabs at the idea that there were no original plots left in Hollywood. He said that the reboot was "sad, sad reflection on our times," and people couldn't come with original ideas anymore, unlike his Avengers movie, which he sarcastically suggested that was all his own work. He wasn't thrilled by the idea of someone making a Buffy movie without him, but said that there wasn't a lot he could do about it, other that "sighing audibly." He added that he didn't harbor any ill will towards people that were passionate about the world he had created.

It wasn't all doom and gloom however, as Whedon took the opportunity to announce a major new project. "I'm making a Batman movie," he said. "Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you."

Source: E! Online [http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b212644_joss_whedon_reacts_buffy_movie_news_i.html] via Blastr [http://blastr.com/2010/11/joss-whedons-hilarious-re.php]

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
He didn't invent it? Why would they make him involved?

I mean sure it would guarantee all Whedon fans would watch it. And he did make the franchise popular, but hey! Who am I to comment on what Warner does.

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
I appreciate his humor towards it, at least he isn't throwing a temper tantrum like someone else would be.

And now I'm curious about this Batman that he's making...

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
I think he should be involved with it, but unfortunately that's not how things work in the media industry.

And a Batman movie filmed in Toronto? Dibs on being Robin! (I know it's a joke, but a man can dream. And if Nathan Fillion was Batman? Mmmmm....)

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Say, shouldn't he be making more Firefly instead? Really, can somebody give him a blank check and tell him to go nuts already?

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
HAHAHHAHAHHAHA

THat's hilarious, considering his success can be greatly measured on exactly what he's complaining about, the "sad, sad reflection on our times" and lack of original ideas... I mean, seriously, who the hell takes a great comedy like the original movie, and makes a teen angst drama out of it?

This man is a tool, plain and simple, and I'm glad they are not taking his input. He doesn't deserve that privilege.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My thoughts are that Joss Whedon not being involved is his own fault. To be honest, people have been clamouring for more "Buffy" for a while, yet other than some comics he's been pretty consistant in not giving it to us, even when in a position where he could probably do it.

I think he could successfully reboot the franchise with a new cast (given the passage of time and the interest), or even just move the universe forward with a new slayer or whatever and just use "The Buffyverse" as the setting.

While well intentioned, his more recent project like "Dollhouse" just haven't impressed me all that much. While it showed massive potential at times, I felt like it never delivered the way "Buffy" or "Firefly" did.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Big, massive mistake to reboot Buffy without Whedon attached to it. The only reason something as absurd as "high school drama with a chick who fights daemons" works so amazingly well is because of Joss Whedon and his dedication to the series. Taking Joss out of Buffy the Vampire Slayer isn't just taking away the writer, it's pretty much taking the soul out of the concept.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Therumancer said:
I think he could successfully reboot the franchise with a new cast (given the passage of time and the interest), or even just move the universe forward with a new slayer or whatever and just use "The Buffyverse" as the setting.
Like Fray?

Yeah... A Tv series about her could be good.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bretty said:
He didn't invent it? Why would they make him involved?
Yeah, he did. He walked out on the original movie, but that doesn't mean he didn't come up with it.

Anyway, appreciated the humourous tone.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
I am really interested in this Batman thing he is doing...

But isn't about time we finally got some more Firefly, I mean COME ON ALREADY. We NEED more of that stuff...

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I was hoping never to see anything Buffy related again for the rest of my existence. Bah!

Incidentally, this is why I will never ever sell any of my ideas to any major producer. At most I'd lease it, or work out some sort of arrangement where I maintained complete and absolute control of the thing.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
You say he's not acting openly bitter about it, but he is being a smug little douchebag about it. Say what you will about Joss Whedon as a creative person (lord knows I have), but this is flat hypocrisy.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Diablo2000 said:
Therumancer said:
Like Fray?

Yeah... A Tv series about her could be good.
Never read it, but heard about it, and I believe it's set a bit too far in the future to be plausible or relatable.

If it's like I've heard, the FX budget would probably be substantial, and that would be a major deterrant to doing it.

To be honest, I'd imagine the best thing for him to do would be to ignore the comic continuity he set up, and if he ever did launch a sequel series, to address the unresolved questions through bits relayed from other characters here and there.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
It wasn't all doom and gloom however, as Whedon took the opportunity to announce a major new project. "I'm making a Batman movie," he said. "Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you."
Heheheh. Nice.

Gonna come out right here: I actually enjoyed Buffy. And Angel. I'm pretty ambivalent to the movie reboot but I'll likely check it out at some point if only to stay up to date on how Hollywood is treating vampires.