Joss Whedon Responds to Buffy Reboot News

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
ph0b0s123 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
He said that the reboot was "sad, sad reflection on our times," and people couldn't come with original ideas anymore, unlike his Avengers movie, which he came up with all by himself.
Two different points. Either you have a problem with the Avengers movie idea being unorignal or that he did not think of it. Which is it? I don't think Hollywood has made a movie before with a load of superheroes in, played by A-list stars who have (mostly) stared in their own superhero movies before hand.

And I don't think you can blame a guy for work on a movie where he did not think of the idea.

Like Jos, hated Dollhouse....
The comment about the Avengers movie was his, not mine. Sorry for any confusion.
Ah... Got the Batman bit being a joke, not that part. Thought that bit was some editorializing.... Serves me right for not reading the linked story. Sorry...

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
You say he's not acting openly bitter about it, but he is being a smug little douchebag about it. Say what you will about Joss Whedon as a creative person (lord knows I have), but this is flat hypocrisy.
That was the easy part.
Now for the hard part: Elaborate.
Do I have to? The smugness (his Batman remake, har har har) and the hypocrisy, ("Hollywood is out of ideas! Imma go shoot The Avengers").

Real simple. You read the same article I did. :p
Try again.
Why do I have to? I'm pretty sure I backed up my claims with words right out of his mouth. I don't have to justify my legitimate statements with every Whedonite who can't accept that sometimes Joss Whedon might not be a perfect human being.
Indeed the article says right out he was joking but you, like many, have everything to say about the man, and nothing to say about his works.
Oh? You want me to talk about his WORKS? This isn't about his works, this is about what he said. The man. Anyway, Firefly was overrated, Buffy was cheesy and Dollhouse deserved the failure it got. Dr. Horrible was great, though. Still overrated, just like every one of Whedon's works. But again, I've spent ages talking about those and I'm not terribly interested in going on about them. What I'm discussing here is how he's reacting to a group of competent producers and an admittedly untested writer rebooting his franchise. And he was being smug. And a complete hypocrite. And he was repeating a tired trope about Hollywood's so-called bankruptcy of ideas that he's contributed to AND anyone who's even half paying attention knows that Hollywood has always been out of ideas. In fact, we're now in a much better period than we could be-- thank GOD Jason Vorhees In Space or whatever terrible F13 sequel would be laughed out of a production meeting these days.

EDIT: Thanks for making a giant edit to your post while I was writing out mine. At least you had the class to mark it as an edit. Anyway, point is Whedon was being a douche and I don't like it when successful creative people are being douches. Happy?
How long does it take you to compose a post?
But like it's been said in Hollywood: you're only as good as your last work. I'd say that's true since Dollhouse tanked, but of course the fad backlash on the internet in the last year or so against Whedon seems to have little to do with that. Otherwise, his shows have been critical darlings and loved by the fans, while Buffy was of course very successful to boot.
You thankfully used the "o" word, as that's a word I hear a lot when referring to Whedon's shows. Since time immemorial, it's meant "Yeah, I can't cite any specifics but... y'know, I'm having trouble coming up with anything to say. Leave me alone." For instance, it's the go-to word for Firefly on these boards, probably because unlike the rest of his shows, he managed to make it the whole first season without any stand-out bad episodes. (But it's The Escapist. People have to show how independent (TM) they are somehow, even if they can't make a case for it. =P)

Yes yes, you gents trying to be inter-cool often go on about how you have talked at length about the shows elsewhere. Of course, even then, it always amounts to "It's totally corny. And overrated. But the real story is Whedon himself: He's mean, or something. And arrogant, for some reason. And douchey, because mature and discerning people use these words. Also, [insert actor associated with him in any way] is so stupid but the fanboys love him/her!"
Basically it's like trying to argue taste with a teenage girl: She inevitably wants the conversation to be about anything but.
I wasn't arguing taste, you brought up taste. I only gave my basic opinions because again, that's not what's being discussed here. I think characters are trite, his dialogue is interchangable and his plots forgettable. And yeah, I think Firefly was overrated because it was a decent show that, because of an early, less-than-deserved cancellation, the fanboys need to rally around. 'Cause, rebellion and all that.

Happy? Again, all I said was that Whedon was being a bit of a hypocritical douche, you wanted to bring in the discussion of his shows. I honestly don't know why. Probably because you couldn't defend his words, so you decided to bring up something entirely unprovable and subjective so that you wouldn't have to be wrong. Well, congratulations! You're not wrong, but you're sure as hell not right.

EDIT: I didn't catch that he made the crack about The Avengers. Alright, good on him for being able to take the piss out of himself and that kinda deflates my argument. *shrug* I'll admit I've never read anything but stories about him being very nice, so I though this was a bit out of character (though it's almost expected to react like this to someone rebooting or remaking your work these days, entitlement and all). Anyway, I still don't love everything he's done.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
You say he's not acting openly bitter about it, but he is being a smug little douchebag about it. Say what you will about Joss Whedon as a creative person (lord knows I have), but this is flat hypocrisy.
That was the easy part.
Do I have to? The smugness (his Batman remake, har har har) and the hypocrisy, ("Hollywood is out of ideas! Imma go shoot The Avengers").

Try again.
Why do I have to? I'm pretty sure I backed up my claims with words right out of his mouth. I don't have to justify my legitimate statements with every Whedonite who can't accept that sometimes Joss Whedon might not be a perfect human being.
Indeed the article says right out he was joking but you, like many, have everything to say about the man, and nothing to say about his works.
Oh? You want me to talk about his WORKS? This isn't about his works, this is about what he said. The man. Anyway, Firefly was overrated, Buffy was cheesy and Dollhouse deserved the failure it got. Dr. Horrible was great, though. Still overrated, just like every one of Whedon's works. But again, I've spent ages talking about those and I'm not terribly interested in going on about them. What I'm discussing here is how he's reacting to a group of competent producers and an admittedly untested writer rebooting his franchise. And he was being smug. And a complete hypocrite. And he was repeating a tired trope about Hollywood's so-called bankruptcy of ideas that he's contributed to AND anyone who's even half paying attention knows that Hollywood has always been out of ideas. In fact, we're now in a much better period than we could be-- thank GOD Jason Vorhees In Space or whatever terrible F13 sequel would be laughed out of a production meeting these days.

EDIT: Thanks for making a giant edit to your post while I was writing out mine. At least you had the class to mark it as an edit. Anyway, point is Whedon was being a douche and I don't like it when successful creative people are being douches. Happy?
But like it's been said in Hollywood: you're only as good as your last work. I'd say that's true since Dollhouse tanked, but of course the fad backlash on the internet in the last year or so against Whedon seems to have little to do with that. Otherwise, his shows have been critical darlings and loved by the fans, while Buffy was of course very successful to boot.
You thankfully used the "o" word, as that's a word I hear a lot when referring to Whedon's shows. Since time immemorial, it's meant "Yeah, I can't cite any specifics but... y'know, I'm having trouble coming up with anything to say. Leave me alone." For instance, it's the go-to word for Firefly on these boards, probably because unlike the rest of his shows, he managed to make it the whole first season without any stand-out bad episodes. (But it's The Escapist. People have to show how independent (TM) they are somehow, even if they can't make a case for it. =P)

Yes yes, you gents trying to be inter-cool often go on about how you have talked at length about the shows elsewhere. Of course, even then, it always amounts to "It's totally corny. And overrated. But the real story is Whedon himself: He's mean, or something. And arrogant, for some reason. And douchey, because mature and discerning people use these words. Also, [insert actor associated with him in any way] is so stupid but the fanboys love him/her!"
Basically it's like trying to argue taste with a teenage girl: She inevitably wants the conversation to be about anything but.
I wasn't arguing taste, you brought up taste. I only gave my basic opinions because again, that's not what's being discussed here. I think characters are trite, his dialogue is interchangable and his plots forgettable. And yeah, I think Firefly was overrated because it was a decent show that, because of an early, less-than-deserved cancellation, the fanboys need to rally around. 'Cause, rebellion and all that.

Happy? Again, all I said was that Whedon was being a bit of a hypocritical douche, you wanted to bring in the discussion of his shows. I honestly don't know why. Probably because you couldn't defend his words, so you decided to bring up something entirely unprovable and subjective so that you wouldn't have to be wrong. Well, congratulations! You're not wrong, but you're sure as hell not right.
*sigh* Again, if you spent more time explaining yourself and less puffing up your chest, you'd sound less like you were pitching a fit. Just snide one-liners to cover the fact that, again, all you've offered is "He's a meanie-mean-face because... ... ... DAMNED WHEDON FANBOYS WANTING TO BE REBELLIOUS WHY CAN'T THEY JUST ADMIT WHEDON ISN'T THE MESSIAH?!?!"
We get it. You used the other magic "o" word, so you can just say you've made an argument (even if you haven't), and thus it's not bandwagon-jumping. As my momma possibly always said: If you can't talk in a straight line, talking in circles works just as well.

EDIT: An edit as well.

EDIT: Just to point out:

And yeah, I think Firefly was overrated because it was a decent show that, because of an early, less-than-deserved cancellation, the fanboys need to rally around. 'Cause, rebellion and all that.
Yeah, that makes... no sense. No meaning can be gleaned.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
That was the easy part.

Try again.

*sigh* Again, if you spent more time explaining yourself and less puffing up your chest, you'd sound less like you were pitching a fit. Just snide one-liners to cover the fact that, again, all you've offered is "He's a meanie-mean-face because... ... ... DAMNED WHEDON FANBOYS WANTING TO BE REBELLIOUS WHY CAN'T THEY JUST ADMIT WHEDON ISN'T THE MESSIAH?!?!"
We get it. You used the other magic "o" word, so you can just say you've made an argument (even if you haven't), and thus it's not bandwagon-jumping. As my momma possibly always said: If you can't talk in a straight line, talking in circles works just as well.

And yeah, I think Firefly was overrated because it was a decent show that, because of an early, less-than-deserved cancellation, the fanboys need to rally around. 'Cause, rebellion and all that.
You are just insufferable, man. I argued my points where I felt the need to argue them, I admitted I was wrong, and yet you still feel the need to resort to just shouting about how I'm not saying anything. You want not saying anything? How about arguing that just because I haven't written you an 8 page treatise on why everything Joss Whedon has ever done sucks means that I clearly just dislike Whedon because he's popular, not because of the ACTUAL REASONS I LISTED.

Oh, and, "Just snide one-liners..."

Maybe now you see why I don't like Joss Whedon's dialogue.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
That was the easy part.

Try again.

You are just insufferable, man. I argued my points where I felt the need to argue them, I admitted I was wrong, and yet you still feel the need to resort to just shouting about how I'm not saying anything. You want not saying anything? How about arguing that just because I haven't written you an 8 page treatise on why everything Joss Whedon has ever done sucks means that I clearly just dislike Whedon because he's popular, not because of the ACTUAL REASONS I LISTED.

*looks over checklist*
Not gonna work. You forgot to complain about Summer Glau's feet, or Nathan Fillion's anything. That's a new requirement after Ms. Grunewald's rather odd article last week.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
That was the easy part.

Try again.

*looks over checklist*
Not gonna work. You forgot to complain about Summer Glau's feet, or Nathan Fillion's anything. That's a new requirement after Ms. Grunewald's rather odd article last week.
Nathan Fillion has no range as an actor, but hey, he's a character actor, what can I ask for? Other than that, the cynic in me hates him for being too damn likable. Also, I have no feelings one way or another about Summer Glau.

gallaetha_matt

Feb 28, 2010
I wish we'd stop rebooting every damn thing. It just really irritates me. It's like handing every bad film maker a free pass to redo the movies that didn't make enough money. How would people feel if they found out Uwe Boll was going to take another stab at Alone In The Dark except this time he threw in sparkly vampires because they're in right now? Or if Kevin Costner asked for funding to reboot Waterworld only with more subliminal cell phone ads?

You know what - those movies are probably already in production as I type.

My plan is to cash in on this trend. As soon as I make billions of pounds (either through internet pornography or the regular kind) I'm going to buy the rights to Dirty Dancing or Titanic and reboot them into kung fu and tits action movies. It'll equate to about the same amount of artistic integrity as the Buffy reboot will.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bretty said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Bretty said:
He didn't invent it? Why would they make him involved?
Yeah, he did. He walked out on the original movie, but that doesn't mean he didn't come up with it.

Anyway, appreciated the humourous tone.
I am glad you got the humerous, because you missed the sarcasm...
Poe's Law.

Tohru_Readman

Sep 14, 2009
Well first of all, it's a bad idea to reboot Buffy in the the first place and I don't care if it's the movie rather than the tv show. Buffy well always be Sarah Michelle Gellar and from the mix reviews that the series 8 comic is getting at the moment, Joss Whedon's input probably wouldn't help much and I'm still piss off at him for killing off my two favourite characters in Serenity.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
AD Headshot said:
You can't just take a show that ran for 7 years, with a spin off series that ran for 5 years, and completely ignore everything about it aside from the bloody title of the show!
What I love about this is how people act like it isn't the standard procedure for making movies based off of TV series that have been dead for more than a year.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
thublihnk said:
Nathan Fillion has no range as an actor, but hey, he's a character actor, what can I ask for? Other than that, the cynic in me hates him for being too damn likable.
Its the only reason I could sit through White Noise 2. I was not seeing Nathan Fillion glowy people saviour who really messes up their lives... I was seeing space cowboy Mal - Ghostbuster.