Joss Whedon Responds to Buffy Reboot News

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I'm confused, does this mean theres going to be two Batman (Batmen?) films out at the same time... That just seams weird to me...

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
uppitycracker said:
HAHAHHAHAHHAHA

THat's hilarious, considering his success can be greatly measured on exactly what he's complaining about, the "sad, sad reflection on our times" and lack of original ideas... I mean, seriously, who the hell takes a great comedy like the original movie, and makes a teen angst drama out of it?

This man is a tool, plain and simple, and I'm glad they are not taking his input. He doesn't deserve that privilege.
I'm sad it took until post 5 for the generic "grumblegrumblewhedonwah" post to show up where nothing particularly relevant, thought-out, or... factually accurate is said.
Considering the finished product was different than what he wanted to make... and he's the creator... Oh hell, like I'm gonna talk intellectual property with you.

thublihnk said:
You say he's not acting openly bitter about it, but he is being a smug little douchebag about it. Say what you will about Joss Whedon as a creative person (lord knows I have), but this is flat hypocrisy.
That was the easy part.
Now for the hard part: Elaborate.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
thethingthatlurks said:
Say, shouldn't he be making more Firefly instead? Really, can somebody give him a blank check and tell him to go nuts already?
I know right..

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
You say he's not acting openly bitter about it, but he is being a smug little douchebag about it. Say what you will about Joss Whedon as a creative person (lord knows I have), but this is flat hypocrisy.
That was the easy part.
Do I have to? The smugness (his Batman remake, har har har) and the hypocrisy, ("Hollywood is out of ideas! Imma go shoot The Avengers").

Real simple. You read the same article I did. :p

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
That was the easy part.
Do I have to? The smugness (his Batman remake, har har har) and the hypocrisy, ("Hollywood is out of ideas! Imma go shoot The Avengers").

Try again.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Bretty said:
He didn't invent it? Why would they make him involved?
Yeah, he did. He walked out on the original movie, but that doesn't mean he didn't come up with it.

Anyway, appreciated the humourous tone.
I am glad you got the humerous, because you missed the sarcasm...

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
Bretty said:
He didn't invent it? Why would they make him involved?
It's not like his name is a huge box office draw. As vocal as Whedon's hardcore following is, they've failed to keep two TV series and one moive afloat. Most people don't even know who he is, and most of the movie's target audience won't care.

Meanwhile, not involving the original creators more than legally neccessary is standard operating procedure.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
That was the easy part.

Try again.
Why do I have to? I'm pretty sure I backed up my claims with words right out of his mouth. I don't have to justify my legitimate statements with every Whedonite who can't accept that sometimes Joss Whedon might not be a perfect human being.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
That was the easy part.

Try again.
Why do I have to? I'm pretty sure I backed up my claims with words right out of his mouth. I don't have to justify my legitimate statements with every Whedonite who can't accept that sometimes Joss Whedon might not be a perfect human being.
Indeed the article says right out he was joking but you, like many, have everything to say about the man, and nothing to say about his works.
You shouldn't make up definitions for words though. It undercuts your point. You didn't "back up" any "claims".

Nonetheless, oh snap I gots burned. Did it feel good? Now for the hard part: What does Whedon's... lack or non-lack of "perfection" have to do with this?

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
"So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you."

I must admit, I chuckled.

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
That was the easy part.

Try again.
Indeed the article says right out he was joking but you, like many, have everything to say about the man, and nothing to say about his works.
Oh? You want me to talk about his WORKS? This isn't about his works, this is about what he said. The man. Anyway, Firefly was overrated, Buffy was cheesy and Dollhouse deserved the failure it got. Dr. Horrible was great, though. Still overrated, just like every one of Whedon's works. But again, I've spent ages talking about those and I'm not terribly interested in going on about them. What I'm discussing here is how he's reacting to a group of competent producers and an admittedly untested writer rebooting his franchise. And he was being smug. And a complete hypocrite. And he was repeating a tired trope about Hollywood's so-called bankruptcy of ideas that he's contributed to AND anyone who's even half paying attention knows that Hollywood has always been out of ideas. In fact, we're now in a much better period than we could be-- thank GOD Jason Vorhees In Space or whatever terrible F13 sequel would be laughed out of a production meeting these days.

EDIT: Thanks for making a giant edit to your post while I was writing out mine. At least you had the class to mark it as an edit. Anyway, point is Whedon was being a douche and I don't like it when successful creative people are being douches. Happy?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Whedon completely removed the need to make snarky comments on this bit of news by providing them himself. Nice.

AD Headshot

Nov 22, 2010
I don't understand how WB thinks this is a good idea.
Apart from being a massive Buffyverse fan, (and being insulted at the idea of Whedon not being involved), the original movie was a steaming pile of crap!
Why would this one be any different?!

You can't just take a show that ran for 7 years, with a spin off series that ran for 5 years, and completely ignore everything about it aside from the bloody title of the show!

Sometimes I hate our world lol =(
I agree, it's a very sad, sad reflection on our times!

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
What is it with remakes and reboots.

All the remakes I have seen over the past few years have been nowhere near the originals.

Just some that spring to mind.

The Fog
Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween
Karate Kid (Kung fu kid in my houshold)
Clash of the Titans
Wicker Man

And coming soon
The Thing
Buffy

Enough already.

Logan Westbrook said:
He said that the reboot was "sad, sad reflection on our times," and people couldn't come with original ideas anymore, unlike his Avengers movie, which he came up with all by himself.
Two different points. Either you have a problem with the Avengers movie idea being unorignal or that he did not think of it. Which is it? I don't think Hollywood has made a movie before with a load of superheroes in, played by A-list stars who have (mostly) stared in their own superhero movies before hand.

And I don't think you can blame a guy for work on a movie where he did not think of the idea.

Like Jos, hated Dollhouse....

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
mr_rubino said:
thublihnk said:
That was the easy part.

Try again.
Oh? You want me to talk about his WORKS? This isn't about his works, this is about what he said. The man. Anyway, Firefly was overrated, Buffy was cheesy and Dollhouse deserved the failure it got. Dr. Horrible was great, though. Still overrated, just like every one of Whedon's works. But again, I've spent ages talking about those and I'm not terribly interested in going on about them. What I'm discussing here is how he's reacting to a group of competent producers and an admittedly untested writer rebooting his franchise. And he was being smug. And a complete hypocrite. And he was repeating a tired trope about Hollywood's so-called bankruptcy of ideas that he's contributed to AND anyone who's even half paying attention knows that Hollywood has always been out of ideas. In fact, we're now in a much better period than we could be-- thank GOD Jason Vorhees In Space or whatever terrible F13 sequel would be laughed out of a production meeting these days.

EDIT: Thanks for making a giant edit to your post while I was writing out mine. At least you had the class to mark it as an edit. Anyway, point is Whedon was being a douche and I don't like it when successful creative people are being douches. Happy?
How long does it take you to compose a post?
But like it's been said in Hollywood: you're only as good as your last work. I'd say that's true since Dollhouse tanked, but of course the fad backlash on the internet in the last year or so against Whedon seems to have little to do with that. Otherwise, his shows have been critical darlings and loved by the fans, while Buffy was of course very successful to boot.
You thankfully used the "o" word, as that's a word I hear a lot when referring to Whedon's shows. Since time immemorial, it's meant "Yeah, I can't cite any specifics but... y'know, I'm having trouble coming up with anything to say. Leave me alone." For instance, it's the go-to word for Firefly on these boards, probably because unlike the rest of his shows, he managed to make it the whole first season without any stand-out bad episodes. (But it's The Escapist. People have to show how independent (TM) they are somehow, even if they can't make a case for it. =P)

Yes yes, you gents trying to be inter-cool often go on about how you have talked at length about the shows elsewhere. Of course, even then, it always amounts to "It's totally corny. And overrated. But the real story is Whedon himself: He's mean, or something. And arrogant, for some reason. And douchey, because mature and discerning people use these words. Also, [insert actor associated with him in any way] is so stupid but the fanboys love him/her!"
Basically it's like trying to argue taste with a teenage girl: She inevitably wants the conversation to be about anything but.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
ph0b0s123 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
He said that the reboot was "sad, sad reflection on our times," and people couldn't come with original ideas anymore, unlike his Avengers movie, which he came up with all by himself.
Two different points. Either you have a problem with the Avengers movie idea being unorignal or that he did not think of it. Which is it? I don't think Hollywood has made a movie before with a load of superheroes in, played by A-list stars who have (mostly) stared in their own superhero movies before hand.

And I don't think you can blame a guy for work on a movie where he did not think of the idea.

Like Jos, hated Dollhouse....
The comment about the Avengers movie was his, not mine. Sorry for any confusion.