Joss Whedon Thanks Fans After Avengers' Success

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
I think he reined in a lot of his bad habits and wrote a fabulous piece with The Avengers.

sjt

Nov 17, 2009
So does this mean after the Avengers rakes in a few hojillion dollars, he can then buy the rights to the Firefly/Serenity universe off of Fox & make MORE?!?!?!?

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Thank you Joss Whedon for Avengers. Thank you for pulling off 4 years of anticipation, and thank you so much for Avengers once again. That was the happiest I have ever been upon leaving a cinema, and only Dark Knight Rises or Avengers 2 can give me that same feeling.

So Mr Whedon, carry on spreading joy like a film-making Santa Claus. I salute you, good sir.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
For Joss Whedon, I would be a marshmallow covered in sugar.

Nice to see he did reign it in a little for the Avengers, however. I was honestly scared there would be a nonsequitur, unnecessary Nathan Fillion showing up just to put him in for fanning about.

JaredXE said:
I do love how Joss still hasn't figured out how to make drama without random deaths. Random deaths are his "You must feel sad now!" pathos button.
Better that than there being no pathos, if that's the option. Though, why he has to do it with the infinitely loved characters, rather than the loved-but-not-as-much ones, I'll never understand. Because that hurts more, I assume, and makes us connect more with the characters, but that makes it no less upsetting.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
You're welcome! And thank you for all the hard work you've done! I really appreciate it!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Joss Whedon? Wasn't he that kid from Star Trek?

[small]Imkiddingpleasedontkillme[/small]

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
BehattedWanderer said:
I was honestly scared there would be a nonsequitur, unnecessary Nathan Fillion showing up just to put him in for fanning about.
Thor: My hammer is Mjolnir, it spits lightning.
Captain Hammer: My hammer is my...

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
You know... thinking back on it... I wonder if wheton had any hand is laying the groundwork for Twilight. Not as much as Anne Rice, for sure... but Buffy had it's fair share of terrible Vampire moments that could be seen a the predecessor to Twilight.

That being said... man did I hate most of Wheton's work.

Firefly was awesome though.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Andronicus said:
They needed something to motivate them, and I just assumed that Fury put a bit of blood on them and pretended agent Coulson carried them around with him always, for more emotional impact I suppose. Besides, I don't see how the cards being in his locker suggests he isn't dead

It is Marvel... No one stays dead.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I'd like to throw out my "Thanks" to Mr. Whedon for making one of the best damn movies in a real long time, and probably the best superhero movie I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying.

Also... thanks for fixing the Hulk.

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
I love the man and the movie, but I just wish he'd get his villains up to par with his protagonists. Then again we've got Thanos to look forward to, so there's hope.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
As much as I loved the Avengers and all of his other works, I kinda don't want him to continue Firefly.

Why? Nathan Fillion is in Castle which is a great show, Alec Bladwin is in Chuck which is also a very good show, and since I don't watch a lot of American TV, I hope thath the others are in great shows/movies as well. Summer Glau was great in that stupid TV show she was in, that somehow missed the plot on how to get ready to fight a nigh unstoppable force.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
If I did not like the movie, it was not going to be because Whedon directed it. I've always known that Whedon can direct. He has all of the qualities great directors have. He knows where to point the camera, he can frame great sequences, he is willing to listen to his actors and is able to make necessary changes to his vision if they prove they are correct, and he can do things under budget. The movie just proves that point.

I'm not a fan of his dialog, something that gets a lot of praise. It is not clever to make a pop culture reference when describing something. Clever is finding a novel way to describe something. Clever is not pulling the same bullshit that the writers of those ______ Movies do on a consistent basis. Clever is not talking about better movies that I probably should go see. Tarantino does this too and I'm not a fan either.

I'm not a fan of his original creations. His original creations are sarcastic nerds, which is fine when there is only one of them, but not a whole team of them.

His series, like Buffy, Firefly and Dollhouse, feel unfinished from the first episode and in all cases, it takes around 8 episodes before they have a direction. Angel and Fray were different. Both were in Buffy's Universe and already had established ground rules when he wrote them. The Serenity movie worked better than the Firefly series because the universe was already built and he only used the parts that were necessary for his movie. They felt like they belonged and not cobbled together like in the series.

But, I do not have any problems with the guy. I've met him at the SD comic con and he was willing to spend a few minutes with me talking about his directing style while signing the gift for a friend. He seemed rather taken aback that I considered him a great director, but not a good writer. I guess it was something he did not hear often or at all. He took my criticism of his writing in stride and did not tell me to fuck off, which tells me he is not the delicate flower his fans think he is.

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
We got Cabin in the Woods AND The Avengers within WEEKS of each other, and we have the promises of Dr. Horrible 2 and Avengers 2 to look forward to...

I think the thanks goes to YOU, Mr. Whedon. Wonderful, wonderful job. I'm so glad to see that this turned out so well.