Joss Whedon Thanks Fans After Avengers' Success

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
AgentNein said:
Buffy season 8 (comics) does a complete disservice to the show, although that can be partly summed up to the limitations of the comic book as a format for storytelling in my opinion.
I agree that season 8 is awful, but one thing that does confuse me is why? I mean, comics would be fantastic for Buffy to use as a format. There would be no budget limitations and people would still hear the voices of the actors portraying the characters.

I think where the comics went wrong was that Season 7 ended on a perfect point. There was nowhere to take the story anymore. Comics can portray epic fiction and adult drama, as Fables, Walking Dead, Constantine, Transmetropolitan and quite a few others have proven. Even Whedon has shown to be comfortable with comics, just look at his amazing run on X-Men!

Could it be the Lucas syndrome? Without limits the story goes on overdrive and everything is thrown in, regardless of whether or not they should? Maybe.
You know I think Joss has said as much actually. People saw what they COULD do and lost sight of what they SHOULD do. Keep it character focused for instance. They're definitely trying to shy away with that in S9 (...semi-successfully...).

My main issue was that yes, the series ended on a perfect note. The Character of Buffy completely shattered the status quo of the world she lived in for the better. It was a beautiful ending in some ways.

Season 8 undercut it all completely because it wanted to sync things up with Fray. Which I couldn't give a shit about.

I did however recently pick up (I believe it's called) Slayers, a cannonical collection of comic stories from the Buffyverse, dealing with slayers, vampires, some connected with Buffy and co. and some not. Stays MUCH truer to the spirit and tone of the show.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Uh, what do you mean FINALLY making it big? For crying out loud, the guy had TWO highly successful TV shows. He hit it big YEARS ago and trying to pretend like he didn't is trying too hard to make him seem like one of those underrated artists who never got a chance. Though he did have his share of fuckups (see Dollhoue and Alien: Resurrection)

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
Andronicus said:
jurnag12 said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
jurnag12 said:
JaredXE said:
He's not wrong about getting flack for being a Whedon fan. So many people don't understand how I can love Dollhouse or Buffy, now I can point them to Avengers and go, "There!"

I do love how Joss still hasn't figured out how to make drama without random deaths. Random deaths are his "You must feel sad now!" pathos button.
Which random deaths would this be in the movie? (Not trying to be an ass, asking a serious question here).
The death of that SHIELD agent dude who was in Thor? I forget his name. He had vintage Cap'n 'merica playing cards. But he died and Thor was like NOOOOOOO and it made everybody depressed so yeah there we go.
Isn't it heavily hinted that he isn't dead? The cards Fury showed to the team actually came from his locker, and when questioned about that he notes that they needed something to motivate them.
They needed something to motivate them, and I just assumed that Fury put a bit of blood on them and pretended agent Coulson carried them around with him always, for more emotional impact I suppose. Besides, I don't see how the cards being in his locker suggests he isn't dead
But...

There is a tiny glimpse of someone who looks like Coulson approaching Fury on the bridge at the very end of the film.

Kashrlyyk

Dec 30, 2010
I always thought the worst part of Firefly is River. She is an alien in a show without aliens.

Then we have a completely idiotic conspiracy, an operative so evil he is a caricature and a "FUCK YOU FANS" death in Serenity. And everytime I see River fight I want to punch anyone who thinks that story is well written.

Firefly is just a story like so many other stories. Nothing special about it.

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
I hope that everyone will also remember him for co-writing Cabin in the Woods. Seriously, Joss Whedon is the fucking man. I love everything he has done (Firefly, Buffy, etc, not just those two movies lol).

Khazidhea

Oct 23, 2008
Draconalis said:
You know... thinking back on it... I wonder if wheton had any hand is laying the groundwork for Twilight. Not as much as Anne Rice, for sure... but Buffy had it's fair share of terrible Vampire moments that could be seen a the predecessor to Twilight.
Not really the point you were trying to make, but it made me think of one particular YouTube clip:

Kashrlyyk

Dec 30, 2010
SpiderJerusalem said:
Uh, yes, that may have been a part of the point?
It seems to have more to do with Whedons inability to write anything with just normal people. Nope always at least one supernatural.

He is evil, sure, but this is not a sneering 50's villain with no reason to be evil than just for shits and giggles. Also, Serenity's death, even if fans were shocked, gave the entire ending far more weight than it would have had without it.
No, he is Malak from Kotor evil. His retarded use of violence against civilians even though he has enough man to cover all the hiding place (he turns up with an armada of space ships at the end) and catch them there. And despite him having enough man he walks in on Malcom and Inara without back up outside the door?? So he is also stupid. And in the end he looses against a clearly inferior foe. That is a badly done villain and a badly written story.

And these two are related... how? Because you're angry a girl is fighting?
Oh, come one. Why can she fight? Oh right, she was reprogrammed/trained by the bad, bad government in a conspiracy to become the perfect assassin. Aren't there some Dolph Lundgren movies with a comparable badly written story? Besides again the only reason she wins is because of bad writing.

Clearly quite a few people disagree with you on this.
Lots of flies disagree with me about the taste of shit. Argumentum ad populum? Please.

Kashrlyyk

Dec 30, 2010
Does Malcolm have superstrength? Supervision? Anything super? No, therefore he is a normal person. What about Inara, Zoe, Wash, Bishop, Jayne or Simon? Even Simon is within the normal range of people. The Alliance? All normal people. Except River Tam who is THE ONLY person that is superintelligent, superstrong, superfast, superunbeatable in melee combat, etc. The only mindreader is her! Without River it would be story with normal people. Whedon seems to be incapable to NOT include some kind of superhuman.

You are just so blinded by your fanboyism that you can't see how many bad cliches and bad writing is in that series.

Point a) is so stupid that millions of people facepalmed after reading it.

Point b) and c) is bad writing. Thank you for mentioning that. But you can't see it.

The academy is there to create assassins for the alliance. That is even on firefly.wikia.com.

The only reason she wins is bad fighting? Or could it be that it's because she is extremely powerful, adaptable and can find the weaknesses or the foes she's fighting?
No, bad writing. This part of your reply further proves how much of a blind fanboy you are. From: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WaifFu

More realistic depictions of combat between a Waif-Fu user and an opponent who depends on strength and size ... can be quite exciting. Typically the practitioner of Waif-Fu will be slapping around the attacker, doing all sorts of damage to him while he struggles to land a good hit on her. It looks like she might win. Then he finally lands a blow, and she goes flying.
Very common among characters of the Mary Sue variety.
I don't have an agenda. I just voice my opinion. You are just not capable of dealing with the fact that your precious Firefly is not as awesome as you think.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
WonderWillard said:
I hope that everyone will also remember him for co-writing Cabin in the Woods. Seriously, Joss Whedon is the fucking man. I love everything he has done (Firefly, Buffy, etc, not just those two movies lol).
You know I walked into the movie theater already building my argument for why I hated Cabin in the Woods (I hate Horror movies) and left seriously impressed. I just wanted to say that.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
No no no no, Mr. Whedon. Thank you for...

Thor and Hulk's defeat, tag team style, of a flying monstrosity into a building. After which, Hulk kindly "brofists" Thor.

...and also for...

When Hulk confronts Loki, Loki mouths off to Hulk and then Hulk LITERALLY rag-dolling Loki into the floor. I never larf'd so hard in my life.

I gleefully look forward to your next Avengers movie.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
ARGH! So many movies that I still have to watch but got no time! I want to watch this really badly but I first have to watch the other movies. I haven't watched Captain America, Iron Man 2 and Thor and it has been so long since I've seen Iron Man 1 and Incredible Hulk.
I think I'll just do a marathon the day after finals are over.

Anyway, it's good to hear that the movie is successful and I hope that Whedon uses this to make more great movies.