Joss Whedon Thanks Fans After Avengers' Success

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Joss Whedon Thanks Fans After Avengers' Success

The maker of Firefly and Buffy finally hit it big.

Joss Whedon has been a staple among cult-favorite television for the last decade or so. He wrote and produced Buffy the Vampire Slayer, garnering him a legion of fans despite his tendency to over-write scenes. After seven seasons of Buffy and a spinoff, he entered what many refer to as his "dark period" in which every project turned to dust. There was the great Firefly, which was cancelled before its time, and the botching of Whedon's Alien Resurrection script. Dollhouse (2009) never took off and it seemed Whedon was relegated to producing his own web videos, the greatness of Dr. Horrible notwithstanding. Then he landed a big tentpole movie deal to write and direct we all know how that turned out this weekend. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5674-Avengers]

Today, Whedon posted a letter thanking his fans for their support throughout his entire career and he promises the success won't change him ... much.

"People have told me that this matters, that my life is about to change. I am sure that is true. And change is good - change is exciting. I think - not to jinx it - that I may finally be recognized at Comiccon. Imagine!" Whedon wrote on the fansite Whedonesque [http://whedonesque.com/comments/28797].

"What doesn't change is anything that matters. What doesn't change is that I've had the smartest, most loyal, most passionate, most articulate group of - I'm not even gonna say fans. I'm going with "peeps" - that any cult oddity such as my bad self could have dreamt of," he continued. "When almost no one was watching, when people probably should have stopped watching, I've had three constants: my family and friends, my collaborators (often the same), and y'all."

Whedon takes the logical next step to express his gratitude. "So this is me, saying thank you. All of you. You've taken as much guff for loving my work as I have for over-writing it, and you deserve, in this our time of streaming into the main, to crow. To glow. To crow and go 'I told you so', to those Joe Blows not in the know," he said before quipping, "Last time I hire Dr. Seuss to punch my posts up. Yeesh!"

For all of you Browncoats and Whedonites, it certainly feels awesome to see one of our own wear the green Benjamin Franklin-bedecked laurels of a smashing box office bonanza on his orange-colored mantle. Thank you, Mr. Whedon, for fighting through it all to make a great film and secure your place among the top film directors of the land.

Now get your other projects (Much Ado, Dr. Horrible 2) in the can and get cracking on Avengers 2.

Source: Whedonesque [http://whedonesque.com/comments/28797]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/ravenu/406247299/sizes/n/in/photostream/])

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
He's not wrong about getting flack for being a Whedon fan. So many people don't understand how I can love Dollhouse or Buffy, now I can point them to Avengers and go, "There!"

I do love how Joss still hasn't figured out how to make drama without random deaths. Random deaths are his "You must feel sad now!" pathos button.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
I'm wondering how much he actually got out of this, now that you're mentioning Benjamins.

JaredXE said:
He's not wrong about getting flack for being a Whedon fan. So many people don't understand how I can love Dollhouse or Buffy, now I can point them to Avengers and go, "There!"

I do love how Joss still hasn't figured out how to make drama without random deaths. Random deaths are his "You must feel sad now!" pathos button.
Which random deaths would this be in the movie? (Not trying to be an ass, asking a serious question here).

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
jurnag12 said:
Which random deaths would this be in the movie?
His first name is "Agent"!

I like that about Joss (deaths). After growing up with hordes of shows of battle after battle in which nobody ever dies, the occassional war casualty seems far more realistic. (I also like reading Glen Cook books, so Joss is kind of low on the casualty count by my standards.)

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
jurnag12 said:
JaredXE said:

Which random deaths would this be in the movie? (Not trying to be an ass, asking a serious question here).
The death of that SHIELD agent dude who was in Thor? I forget his name. He had vintage Cap'n 'merica playing cards. But he died and Thor was like NOOOOOOO and it made everybody depressed so yeah there we go.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
jurnag12 said:
JaredXE said:

The death of that SHIELD agent dude who was in Thor? I forget his name. He had vintage Cap'n 'merica playing cards. But he died and Thor was like NOOOOOOO and it made everybody depressed so yeah there we go.
Isn't it heavily hinted that he isn't dead? The cards Fury showed to the team actually came from his locker, and when questioned about that he notes that they needed something to motivate them.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I guess I'll thank you for the Avengers if I ever do go and see it, but I strictly cant say thanks for unleashing Buffy on the world. Especially after season 3, so many nights spent bored when I just wanted to fuck about instead.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
jurnag12 said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
jurnag12 said:
JaredXE said:

Isn't it heavily hinted that he isn't dead? The cards Fury showed to the team actually came from his locker, and when questioned about that he notes that they needed something to motivate them.
They needed something to motivate them, and I just assumed that Fury put a bit of blood on them and pretended agent Coulson carried them around with him always, for more emotional impact I suppose. Besides, I don't see how the cards being in his locker suggests he isn't dead

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
JaredXE said:
Whedon deaths aren't random. He understands that people only get upset when people they care about die.

Also, I don't believe for a second that [REDACTED] is actually dead. Especially if Marvel Studios are really going to embrace the zany extremes of the comics, where the only people who've ever stayed dead are Uncle Ben, Gwen Stacey and the Punisher's family.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Props to Joss on his big win and good luck to his next project. Anything directed by him is worth waiting for.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Well, as a peep, thank you back!
I'm so excited that he's finally got some pull in the industry, hopefully he'll use that for an original IP. As much as I would love more Firefly, who are we kidding?

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
James Cameron thanks himself for his success.
Joss Whedon thanks his friends, family, and fans.

Love you too, Joss.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Heh, not a problem Joss, not a problem at all. All I can ask now is one thing. What's next.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I thought the whole Alien: Resurrection fiasco happened before Buffy. Or at the very least before the Buffy TV-series.

On topic: I'm kind of glad the guy finally got some major success (Toy Story doesn't count!) outside of his usual fanbase, he kind of deserves it :D

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Don't thank us, GO MAKE AVENGERS 2! HURRY! WE WANT TO SEE T&^%&s In the next movie!~ DON'T LEFT US HANGING!~