"Journalist" Who Wrote Fake GTA Story Ridicules Gamers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
"Journalist" Who Wrote Fake GTA Story Ridicules Gamers

The "journalist" who made-up the story about Grand Theft Auto Rothbury in yesterday's Daily Star says he's "baffled" by the uproar and has responded to complaints by ridiculing adult gamers.

A quick update in case you missed it Raoul Moat [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102247-Daily-Star-Gets-Nailed-for-Made-Up-GTA-Story]. He even extracted an obviously anguished quote about GTA Rothbury from the grandmother of Moat's ex-girlfriend, one of his victims. The problem? There is no such game. Lawton found a fake cover of the non-existent game online and proceeded to build an anti-gaming story around it.

The uproar eventually led to the story being pulled, albeit without any kind of apology, explanation or even an acknowledgment that it existed at all, but the man behind it is entirely unrepentant. In fact, he claims to be surprised that people are upset by his story and seems oblivious to the fact that Grand Theft Auto Rothbury doesn't actually exist at all. He even took the opportunity to ridicule adult gamers on his Facebook page [http://www.facebook.com/jerry.lawton?v=wall], which has since been set to private.

"Baffled by the fury of adult gamers," he wrote. "These are grown (?!?) men who sit around all day playing computer games with one another who've today chosen to enter the real world just long enough to complain about my story slamming a Raoul Moat version of Grand Theft Auto! You would think I'd denied the Holocaust!!! Think I'll challenge them to a virtual reality duel....stab....I win!!!"

Let me remind you that this is a "real journalist" speaking and although the Star is a notoriously trashy rag, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a certain minimal level of integrity in its reporting, even if only to the point of not passing off outright lies as real news and then making fun of people who call them on it. Is that really so baffling, Jerry?

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/-journalist-who-wrote-gta-raoul-moat-story-is-a-prick-179543.phtml]

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
The daily star? Thast even more a of piece of crap than the Sun, nothing they publish is news worthy. Seriosuly, its audience consists of people who find the Sun to hard to understand.

gilthanan

May 25, 2008
My only question, who the hell is Raoul Moat? He killed what, 3 people? So what? Honestly? Why would GTA make a game off of him? When the US has how many 30+ serial killers? Not to be mean, or say that what he did was a minor thing, but seriously? Who the hell would believe this?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
And thus not only do I get the image of The Poor Victim in the top right, but I also get an idiot being the worlds most idiotic man. I could think of much harsher words, but I refuse to lower myself to that.

Calumon: Silly man is VERY silly.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
Print journalism is a dying medium as it is, I think we could spare the writing efforts of this jerk.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
So you lie about something, thet get all buthurt when said somethings fan base is angry at you? How about trying to not be a lying fraud instead of being a smug dick?

Deathguy3

Nov 4, 2008
gilthanan said:
My only question, who the hell is Raoul Moat? He killed what, 3 people? So what? Honestly? Why would GTA make a game off of him? When the US has how many 30+ serial killers? Not to be mean, or say that what he did was a minor thing, but seriously? Who the hell would believe this?
He killed one guy and failed to kill a policeman with a shotgun to his face.

Also, British Media is full of cunts.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Because, obviously, sitting around playing video games all day is far, far worse than making up stories out of whole cloth and attempting to pass them off as "news" in order to generate controversy (and, of course, site views for his column).

The man is a cancer on the face of the Internet and should be ridiculed at every turn. And the grandmother he interviewed should sue him for causing mental anguish and using her name to promote lies.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
Thank you for putting journalist in quotes, because it needed to be done. Isn't the daily star a tabloid? the name rings a bell, but i can't remember exactly what it is. in which case, anything read in that thing should be immediately dismissed as talentless writing concocted from the mind of someone who can't get a real career.

Feb 13, 2008
Perhaps "grown men" don't sit on FaceBook godmodding and bitching about being caught making libellous comments?

Oh, you can if you're Chief Crime Correspondent of the Daily Star [http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/jerry-lawton/20/11b/6aa] can you?

Would that be the Jeremy Giles Lawton, 43, from Essex, btw? Who has 3 pseudonyms on the electoral roll?

In fact, this man,

The man that wrote this headline:
HAM SARNIE MUSLIMS SUE JAIL FOR £2M [http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/19188/HAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2m/HAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2mHAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2mHAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2mHAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2mHAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2mHAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2mHAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2mHAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2mHAM-SARNIE-MUSLIMS-SUE-JAIL-FOR-2m]

Just a tip. Those Gamers. Not good people to get riled.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I challenge you to a writing duel, Jerry!
I wrote that I win, so I am the victor!
How did we get there? Is there any logic behind this process? I am merely making statements with no sources and covering it up with insults?

You didn't take these things into account, neither shall I!

brunt32

Aug 24, 2008
This is like me writing a story of how Russia declared war on America and afterwards when everyone pissed caused they spent last 5 hours building bombshelters get pissed at me and me responding... "Well maybe Russia should go to war with America."

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
gilthanan said:

This the UK and shooting people simply isn't British outside of a gentlemanly duel

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
Unfortunately, completely making up a story is not new here. Our tabloid journalism makes it a habit. Fact checking is a lost art. Journalists just hear a rumour, or see another article in another paper and run with it. It's crapulous nonsense at best, hatemongering filth at worst. It's the reason I don't rely on tabloid newspapers for current events.

SoxFan96

Mar 16, 2010
I am sensing a bit of annoyance in the last paragraph there.

But seriously, crap like this is just annoying. I mean, could be not be bothered to do a google search for the supposed title of the game. When nothing legitimate came up shouldn't he have stopped writing. Idiots like this just annoy me. Actually strike that, people who are not smart enough to reserch their claims annoy me. I can tolorate an idiot, people like this are a waste of a brain. [/endrant]

Needed to get that off my chest...

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This guy is a grade A troll, I'd applaud him for the lengths he appears willing to go in trying to keep trolling the gaming industry, but unlike a normal troll people listen to this idiot.

Any word on 4chan striking out against this douche?