Journey: Collector's Edition Won't Travel to Europe

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Journey: Collector's Edition Won't Travel to Europe

Thatgamecompany suggests fans import the game or demand localization from Sony.

According to a tweet from thatgamecompany, Journey: Collector's Edition, which includes a short documentary and commentary for each the company's three games, has no European release date. Thatgamecompany further listed Japan and Australia as countries that would not see the bundle.

While responding to tweets from disappointed fans, thatgamecompany explained that localization costs for Europe would be prohibitive. The games themselves aren't the problem; Flow, Flower, and Journey are all wordless and have already been released in Europe on the PlayStation Network. It's the bonus content in the bundle, which includes commentary and other language-specific features [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118094-Journey-Collectors-Edition-Comes-Loaded-With-Extras], that would increase translation costs. The studio also pointed to logistic costs including advertising, shipping, and dealing with local retailers.

Thatgamecompany is encouraging fans to take it up with the regional branches of Sony Computer Entertainment, which control where the game sees release. Sony's Europe office has not officially confirmed or denied the tweets, simply telling Eurogamer, "release information for other territories will be announced soon." This may mean that Sony is gauging fan reaction versus costs, or simply waiting until the heat has died down.

The good news is that Journey: Collector's Edition is region-free, so impatient and underserved gamers can still obtain it by importing from North America or Asia. It's not the best option, and it doesn't cover many European languages, but it may soften the blow if Sony decides to stick to the territories currently planned. In addition, thatgamecompany has indicated that regions denied the boxed bundle may instead get the bonus content via PSN.

Source: Eurogamer [https://twitter.com/#!/thatgamecompany]

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Oh, so you can't port it to Australia cuz they don't understand English there? Bullshit.
I've never accepted the language excuse, if it's so much of a bother, release it in English as a download, it would cost you nothing in production cost and a lot of people in the world speaks English!
Production, shipping and marketing I get, just leave language out of it.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
So...what, are all of us early adopters going to get shafted? I can't really say I want to buy it again so I can get this bonus content.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
TornadoCreator said:
GeorgW said:
Oh, so you can't port it to Australia cuz they don't understand English there? Bullshit.
I've never accepted the language excuse, if it's so much of a bother, release it in English as a download, it would cost you nothing in production cost and a lot of people in the world speaks English!
Production, shipping and marketing I get, just leave language out of it.
They already have released Journey in Europe and Australia on PSN, and they've already stated that they'll make the collectors edition available as a digital download in those regions.

The disc is region-free anyway, so you can import it if you want. I fully intend to import the game as it genuinely is that good. Remember though thatgamecompany is a small independent developer, they can't afford to go for a worldwide release. I was a little pissed knowing it wouldn't come to my region officially, but it is region free, and it's well priced so I'm not too bothered. I already own Journey on PSN but I'll be double dipping here, I plan on importing.
They won't have the entire thing as a download, only the special features such as commentary. And shipping internationally sucks. I get why they did it, as I said, I just don't like the explanation.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Lethos said:
If only there was some country in Europe that spoke English..
If only there was some way to put translated words at the bottom of the screen...

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Lethos said:
If only there was some country in Europe that spoke English..
If only there was some way to put translated words at the bottom of the screen...
Maybe one day, in the far future where technology has progressed, such sci-fi technology will be possible.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
ExiusXavarus said:
So...what, are all of us early adopters going to get shafted? I can't really say I want to buy it again so I can get this bonus content.
Exactly my thoughts. I loved Journey but I ain't gonna buy it again, as much as I love discs over downloadable games.

...Guess that's what we get for...being first?

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
translation? the only games they translate are kids games and in-game subs/menus that,s hardly expensive