Journey Falls Short At the Grammy Awards

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Journey Falls Short At the Grammy Awards

Austin Wintory's Journey soundtrack couldn't quite muscle its way past The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

It was big news last December when Austin Wintory's work on Journey was nominated for a Grammy Award, the first "pure" videogame soundtrack to earn such an honor. Alas, despite winning the Best Music Award at the 2013 Spike Video Game Awards, it couldn't quite pull off the same feat last night at the Grammys, losing out to The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross.

"Well finally have the answer! Congratulations to @trent_reznor!" Wintory tweeted last night after the winner was announced. Thanking his followers and Journey fans for their support, he added, "Obviously I didn't work on #JourneyPS3 hoping to win a Grammy. The entire point was the game itself and that's gone beyond my wildest dreams."

It's a shame that Journey didn't come out on top, but Wintory's accomplishment is still nothing short of remarkable. For those who haven't yet sampled its pleasures, the Journey soundtrack is now available on iTunes [https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/journey-original-soundtrack/id511359368].

Source: Twitter [http://www.grammy.com/nominees]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Moral of story, don't mess with Trent Reznor.

But it's still amazing to make it to the Grammys short list, with any luck Journey won't be the last game to appear either.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
I'll just echo some other comments:

Reznor is awesome, BUT JOURNEY SHOULD HAVE WON!

Oh well, big surprise, it's the Grammy's. Giving awards to the wrong people is just their thing.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Wait, hold on a second...

Although I liked the soundtrack to GWDT, that came out in 2011, so why was it even in the nominations?
Then again, this is the same show that recognizes a 5 year old band as best new artist, so what do I know

darksakul

Old Man? I am not that old .....
Jun 14, 2008
Journey's soundtrack would never have won, not that it does not deserve it mind you.
I am surprise Journey even got nominated.

Keep in mind the judges at these award shows are cranky old men, so who or what wins depends on someone in their 60's or older sensibilities not what relates to the whole of listeners and audiences that are out there.

Nominations are just like the Oscars, they come from the production crews. In Music that is everyone who works on a production who is not part of the creative side like the song writers, musicians, recording artist, performing artist or vocalist. The Vote for nominees are done by technicians, sound engineers, set builders, lighting crew, roadies, the costume and make up people, camera men ect.

In short if you have great work but you absolutely piss off your crew, you aren't getting a nomination as your crew are not voting for you and they going to tell other crews to do the same.

Until the hands of who decide whats consider art will consider video games its own medium and not children toys, you never see more than just a nomination.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hey I'd be pretty satisfied if I composed music for a video game and it became a Grammy nominee :D
unless I was Hans Zimmer or something but still :p

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, if you're going to lose to anyone, Reznor is one of the best to lose too.

[sub] And I still need to play Journey... [/sub]

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Mcoffey said:
Eternal_Lament said:
Wait, hold on a second...

Although I liked the soundtrack to GWDT, that came out in 2011, so why was it even in the nominations?
Then again, this is the same show that recognizes a 5 year old band as best new artist, so what do I know
I think the movie was released in 2011, but perhaps the soundtrack was released separately in 2012? The movie came out on Christmas, after all.
That's what I thought, but after checking I saw that the soundtrack was released on December 11. Again, I don't really understand the criteria for the Grammies sometimes.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Chatboy 91 said:
Oh well, big surprise, it's the Grammy's. Giving awards to the wrong people is just their thing.
Explains how Chris Brown got one, doesn't it?

OT: I'm just glad a game soundtrack got into the Grammys at all. I hope there's some more ones in there in the future, or we get recognition for older soundtracks. Squenix must have about 17 of them lined up. either way

Dec 14, 2009
Bah, philistines...

Joking aside, the fact it even got nominated at all is amazing.

I got the soundtrack as soon as I finished the game, like the day after it came out on PSN :D

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Well I suppose I can't be too upset at him loosing to Reznor, but I would have liked Austin Wintory to have won all the same.

I think I would have been more annoyed if they had picked Zimmer or Williams or something ...

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Well, in all fairness, I can see a lot of people voting over an internationally advertized and known movie than a PS Network game. It's sad but true. What sucks, though, is that I feel like it didn't lose to TGWTDT because it was better. That was irrelevant. I feel like Journey lost just because it was a videogame.

Someday, guys. Someday.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Oh well. The simple fact it managed to get this far is an excellent feat and a milestone for Videogame music no matter what the end result was.