Journey of Jesus Punches Out Diablo

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
"Open conversations about faith"

And by that they mean nothing but long drawn out circle-jerks about how awesome their religion is, shoving it own people's throats, an saying how anyone who thinks to criticize their particular faith is going to roast in hell for all of eternity. Nothing quiets critics than by saying they'll burn forever!

Of course, when someone tries to say that they should mind that other people don't want a religion shove down their throat, those people are "opressing their faith". They are "waging war on religion".

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Orange Lazarus said:
GonzoGamer said:
Is there some sort of peripheral I haven't heard of? When did we start eating games?
I wanted to reply with some sort of 'game disc = eucharist' comparison, but it's just not coming to me.
Is that what the guy was trying to say: That playing the game is like eating Jesus?... which for those of you who aren't familiar is one of the per-requisites for being a good christian...you have to eat Jesus every Sunday.
"And he said to his disciples, take this game and play it."

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Mr. Omega said:
Okay, I've heard this all a million times before.
Go to google and look up the words "vocal minority".
done? Thank you.

anyhow, do these guys not understand that stuff like thin makes people look bad

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I have to give them credit for their optimism.

Azuaron said:
"Interestingly, also launching today: Diablo 3, the newest installment of a game series built around battles with demonic creatures, which debuted in 1996 with the tagline, 'All Hell breaks loose'," the studio said in a press release.

"Both games immerse the player, and you are what you eat," Lightside CEO Brent Dusing added. I can't even begin to guess what that's supposed to mean.
I'm a little confused... so, in Diablo, you fight demons, eventually descending to Hell and fighting Diablo himself to save the world.

Dusing seems to be trying to imply that playing Diablo will make you a Satanist or something. But if you take his statement, "you are what you eat," to its logical metaphoric conclusion (the role you take in games becomes the role you take in life), everyone who plays Diablo III will become a crusader against (legitimate!) evil.
You're assuming they actually know what the hell Diablo is.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
I seriously doubt they do. But then, their target audience also doesn't know what the hell Diablo is, thus completing the circle of ignorance. Of course, their picture shows Jesus punching out the Devil in a boxing match, so it's possible neither of the parties knows what the hell Christianity is either.

If there's anything Christians ought to object to in Diablo, it's the idea that physical (or magical) weaponry is effective in combating spiritual evil.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
this sounds good, I am picturing a fighting game with Jesus as a playable character.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
I have to give them credit for their optimism.

Azuaron said:
"Interestingly, also launching today: Diablo 3, the newest installment of a game series built around battles with demonic creatures, which debuted in 1996 with the tagline, 'All Hell breaks loose'," the studio said in a press release.

"Both games immerse the player, and you are what you eat," Lightside CEO Brent Dusing added. I can't even begin to guess what that's supposed to mean.
I'm a little confused... so, in Diablo, you fight demons, eventually descending to Hell and fighting Diablo himself to save the world.

Dusing seems to be trying to imply that playing Diablo will make you a Satanist or something. But if you take his statement, "you are what you eat," to its logical metaphoric conclusion (the role you take in games becomes the role you take in life), everyone who plays Diablo III will become a crusader against (legitimate!) evil.
He knows enough to know you battle demonic creatures.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
If I am what I eat, then I am a 6 inch subway. (insert inappropriate joke). I don't eat videogames. I play them. And unlike some christian fundamentalists, I can tell reality from fantasy, truth from allegory.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Of course, the Diablo series takes (or used to take?) a rather darker approach to the topic, especially regarding hope and salvation. The only salvation the heroes from the first game could hope for, for instance, was death. And the angels and Zakarum are decidedly non-omnipotent in their battle with demonic forces. Still, it is an interesting approach on Lightside's part. Usually, Bible-thumpers see games or other media featuring demonic or evil aspects and immediately condemn the entire thing, even if the player or protagonist clearly takes on the role of a warrior against that demonic evil. Hell, that's one of the reasons I never understood Bible-thumpers' problem with Harry Potter. It's a basic story of good versus evil. But in their mind, there cannot be a good side to magic, so it's... evil versus evil? I guess? Promoting evil powers to fight evil with? Whatever.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
MasterSaji said:
Andy Chalk said:
the developers say they do think the game will "open conversations about faith."
Well, my faith in Blizzard is no more...
I could be misreading since its morning and I'm didn't have my coffee yet, but I'm pretty sure those were the developers of the Jesus game, not Blizzard.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Now that's a game I want to play!

forwardslashsarcasm

Captcha: red herring - this captcha system is telepathic, I swear.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
If by "open conversations about faith" they mean that this picture will cause 4-chan to be filled with pictures of Satan teabagging Jesus, then yes. Yes it will do that.

Not to say that I encourage or discourage this practice, but mark my words: it will happen.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Dana22 said:
Lightside Games

Lucifer - Light Bearer.

Conspiracy.
*cue X-Files Theme and the obligatory personal comment in order to avoid a low-content post warning*

This has always puzzled me, honestly. You make a game that riffs off Vikings and Norse mythology or is widely inspired by them? That's cool. You make a game inspired by Egyptian mythology? Also cool. Greek? Still cool. Crib elements from Mesopotamian civilizations in order to constitute your bestiary and/or own religion? Still cool.

However, as soon as you touch the J-man, shit goes nuts. Is there some sort of moral law nobody told me about concerning how I supposedly can't riff off Judeo-Christian mythology because that's a big social no-no?

I remember back when Diablo II first came out, I read about a fairly ignorant mother of two who more or less stuck her eldest son's D2 disc in a white cloth with a stitched cross on it, with a couple hosts and some holy water sprinkled on top - because anything named "Diablo II" is *obviously* Satanic in nature.

I just can't wait for video games to be so deeply ingrained in pop culture - yes, even more deeply than they are now - that we won't see these kinds of things anymore. Even if what's pressed on the disc happened to be some sort of vile depiction of Hellish monstrosities out to suck the souls out of poor innocent kids, you're talking about a silicon sandwich. I'd be a lot more concerned with parents who think teaching their underage kids to handle guns is a good idea.