Journey's End

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Terraria 1.4 is upon us!
Master mode! Casual mode! Golf mode! What else could you ask for? More fishing, more food, more pets too! New minimap borders!?

Full changelog

Share with us your cherished Terraria memories and let's go on a 2D adventure one more time.

Oh I remember back in 1.1 when you didn't have stairs or slopes! Those were wacky times. Ah the endurance test of 200 Angler Quests.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Wow... That's way more than I expected. Seeing the updated sprites, I look at that and say "Wow, they looked like THAT this whole time?!" Once I have a large gap in games I'm playing I'll give this a spin

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Well, this image seems apropos.

On the other hand...Aw, nuts. NPCs have happiness stats and biome preferences now? *sigh* My days of making one massive castle are apparently at an end.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
On the other hand...Aw, nuts. NPCs have happiness stats and biome preferences now? *sigh* My days of making one massive castle are apparently at an end.
That's maybe the ONE thing about the update I don't really like much. Having a nice, big hub area around your base with a castle or individual houses for the NPCs is convenient. I basically have to sacrifice convenience for the NPCs so they don't jack the prices of stuff up. Kinda bleh. Wonder if they'll let us disable that or not

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Been trying a new playthrough, realized I may have made a tiiiny error. My base has a basement. I'm still pretty early (Still on iron/lead armor, no boss kills), so I have nothing to worry about yet, but anyone who's played up through hardmode is probably shaking their heads at me.

...I don't suppose they tweaked anything about the wraiths for 1.4?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Spent the weekend basically playing this non-stop and it's freaking fantastic. I have been away from Terraria pretty much since it came out. I beat the game way back then and to see how much stuff has been added in the years since has been an incredible amount of fun. The fact that they've been updating the game like this for free for so long is just insane.

Plus the mod support apparently has been crazy.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
My unstable mobile internet forces me to play solo, and the first map I created was annoying as hell (important early game items were super scattered). Master mode is insane in the beginning when you don't have mobility and can't take a hit. The new food meta is amazing. What I don't really like is that reforging early game items has been "balanced" so it costs a damn fortune now.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
My unstable mobile internet forces me to play solo, and the first map I created was annoying as hell (important early game items were super scattered). Master mode is insane in the beginning when you don't have mobility and can't take a hit. The new food meta is amazing. What I don't really like is that reforging early game items has been "balanced" so it costs a damn fortune now.
Master mode was insanely hard imo, we tried it for a while and it was just too frustrating to do after Eye. So we decided to drop to classic and farm up some hard mode gear before going back to Master.

Asita

Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Spent the weekend basically playing this non-stop and it's freaking fantastic. I have been away from Terraria pretty much since it came out. I beat the game way back then and to see how much stuff has been added in the years since has been an incredible amount of fun. The fact that they've been updating the game like this for free for so long is just insane.

Plus the mod support apparently has been crazy.
Should I take that to mean that you've never experienced the invasion events, like the Goblin Army, or the seasonal events like the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon? Because hoo boy, those can blindside you.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I can't but disapprove.
Feel free, but it was simply too much for us, and we felt no reason to suffer through nonsens until it got fun. To be fair we only built starter gear in classic before going into Master. We crafted like Iron stuff just to get the foot in the door then proceeded through Master as normal.

Should I take that to mean that you've never experienced the invasion events, like the Goblin Army, or the seasonal events like the Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon? Because hoo boy, those can blindside you.
Well I have now. We got the Goblin invasion and the pirate attack, which was crazy to fight the ghost ships and stuff. Was worth the money though.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Master was quite the lesson in frustration. After a lot of dying and dying and dyiiiiing.... we managed to get molten gear.

We defeated the eye with a built arena, slime mounts and minisharks.

We used massive amounts of explosive to hollow out an arena to fight the eater of worlds. We didn't actually defeat it, but we destroyed a few segments so that some shadow scales dropped. So we had access to a Demonite Pickaxe.

And we went straight to hell and geared up to Molten gear without having defeated the Eater of Worlds, Skeletron nor having had any Meteorite whatsoever.

We then proceeded to massacre the Eater of Worlds kitted with Molten Furies and loads of Jester Arrows.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Master was quite the lesson in frustration. After a lot of dying and dying and dyiiiiing.... we managed to get molten gear.

We defeated the eye with a built arena, slime mounts and minisharks.

We used massive amounts of explosive to hollow out an arena to fight the eater of worlds. We didn't actually defeat it, but we destroyed a few segments so that some shadow scales dropped. So we had access to a Demonite Pickaxe.

And we went straight to hell and geared up to Molten gear without having defeated the Eater of Worlds, Skeletron nor having had any Meteorite whatsoever.

We then proceeded to massacre the Eater of Worlds kitted with Molten Furies and loads of Jester Arrows.
My friends and I have been playing Master up until a couple nights ago when we got into hardmode and even with 3rd level hardmode armor, you can get one-shot by random enemies in the dark of your mining pit. Especially with so many enemies that travel or shoot through blocks from off-screen and the majority of them are pitch black so they are impossible to see or avoid and you just die out of nowhere for no reason.

We have the best possible gearyou can get without beating a mechanical boss, and still can't kill them. You basically have to build your characters perfectly, stack potions, food, and flasks, and play at a top level to actully bring these guys down.

After doing a bit of reasearch, Master mode offers no gear and basically rewards cosmetics only, which led us to feel like Master is supposed to work like a NG+ where you've beated classic or Expert and you want to zip through the game with a higher bit of challenge. Because even with the best gear in the game, the hardmode bosses will ruin your life.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
We have the best possible gearyou can get without beating a mechanical boss, and still can't kill them. You basically have to build your characters perfectly, stack potions, food, and flasks, and play at a top level to actully bring these guys down.

After doing a bit of reasearch, Master mode offers no gear and basically rewards cosmetics only, which led us to feel like Master is supposed to work like a NG+ where you've beated classic or Expert and you want to zip through the game with a higher bit of challenge. Because even with the best gear in the game, the hardmode bosses will ruin your life.
Yeah, I'm also starting to feel like it isn't worth playing. Even with full Molten equipment, I got my ass completely handed to me by the Brain of Cthulu and Queen Bee playing on my own solo world. It's feeling rather masochistic.