Journey's Multiplayer Designed "For Humans," Not Cursing Kids

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
My question is how many of the people he's worried about - the screaming kids, drunken idiots, etc. - will really want to buy a game that is about "walking about, meeting people, walking about with them and maybe going up a mountain in the desert"?
The people who rush out to buy a game like Journey will be the ones who know exactly what it is, know what thatgamecompany are trying to do, and are ready to experience what the game is offering.
Whenever I tried to describe Flower to someone who primarily just played games where they could shoot at something, they would laugh or say it's "gay", not go buy it. I'm not saying there's no potential for Journey to be ruined by players, but I'd say it's fairly safe, at least until it hits the special offers.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I like the idea but it has already been stated that someone will find a way to be an asshole.

Though i might get this when it comes out.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
"for humans" is the perfect way to phrase that. Satisfying.

Certain things remove your humanity, as far as I'm concerned. being the stereotypical 13 year old xbox live ***** is one of them.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
To quote the rules of the internet: The more beautiful something is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt it. Seriously, who honestly thinks that this won't get ruined in some way, shape or form?
Yes, but this game is under the radar of most jack asses that only find enjoyment in said destruction. It has potential to be good and its indy roots make it not a hot buy of parents getting their child what they want for Giftmas or birthdays.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
It'll be more like life eh? People can be assholes in the real world too and I'm fairly certain that will appear here in the form of random punchings. Still, would be nice to have a asshole free online experience.....

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
KEM10 said:
buy teh haloz said:
To quote the rules of the internet: The more beautiful something is, the more satisfying it is to corrupt it. Seriously, who honestly thinks that this won't get ruined in some way, shape or form?
Yes, but this game is under the radar of most jack asses that only find enjoyment in said destruction. It has potential to be good and its indy roots make it not a hot buy of parents getting their child what they want for Giftmas or birthdays.
Plus they will probably be playing Black Ops still or whatver new generic shit shooter is out...

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
You have to pay for it and there's no voice chat - that should actually do pretty well to eliminate greifers. I actually forsee more of a problem with 'hardcore' players who don't indulge in any of the social aspects and just speedrun through all the puzzles.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Sounds like he's challenging the douchebags out there.

Don't do it. Don't challenge them.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I think it sounds nice, I've had a similar kind of experience in online games before.

Like that rare occasion in WoW when you meet someone on the opposite faction, alliance/horde, and they start helping you and you start helping back. You can't communicate with each other directly and you could break into combat at any moment but you don't, there's just a nice moment of mutuality. Then after the moment you probably never cross paths again.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I'm sorry, but no. If there's any actions between players in a game, they WILL be assholes whether you like it or not. That's just how it is. Unless the players can't interact at all, this man's words will fall flat on their face. That is 95% guaranteed.

bruunwald

Feb 26, 2010
About nine years ago, a friend of mine told me a story of how he was playing Diablo II online, with a ridiculously powerful character. It's been so long since I played that game I can't remember what I thought of as ridiculous, but he and I used to play on an internal network, and I had some pretty high level guys myself, so just imagine the highest level you can think of.

Anyway, he was playing online one night, and these two fairly low-to-mid (10th? 12th?) level guys jumped in, playing all innocent like they wanted the benefit of his wisdom and help gaining levels. Of course, about ten minutes in, they attacked him. He calmly sat back, watching them try to murder his guy, and occasionally paused to type in a calm "what are you doing?" These guys could not put a dent in him, but he told me they kept it up for over ten minutes. How stupid do you have to be to keep hitting a guy you can't put a dent in for ten minutes and still you won't give up?

So, of course, he finally got bored and flattened them.

Despite this story, he convinced me shortly thereafter to get online myself, and of course, it took all of ten minutes before somebody was trying to frag me. Over and over again. Funny for our internal network games of Duke Nukem, yes. Frag Nukem was fun. Not funny for all the effort of getting online back then on Blizzard's painfully slow servers.

I've never played online since. And I have no desire whatsoever to game with frag-happy thirteen-year-olds, and even more so disgusting I can't bear to think about it, thirty-five-year-olds who act like thirteen-year-olds. I love my consoles, but I actually get offended when they try to get online. Please, feel free to keep crapland all to yourselves.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Isn't the Brotherhood Multiplayer 12-year-old-moron proof? I haven't played it, but it looked like, you needed to be able to use more than just one brain cell to be able to play it at all.
Heck, Yahtzee liked it for it's intelligent design. so does it work as an idiot repellent?

OT:Very interesting opinion but i would personally have preferred....you know, hearing something ABOUT the game. I, like most people, think that it will be some sort of interesting, probably unique concept. awaiting further news.

Flutterbrave

Dec 10, 2009
Flying Dagger said:
I was totally expecting this to be called Flowerer
At least it's not Deflowerer, eh?

V8 Ninja said:
I'm sorry, but no. If there's any actions between players in a game, they WILL be assholes whether you like it or not. That's just how it is. Unless the players can't interact at all, this man's words will fall flat on their face. That is 95% guaranteed.
I don't think he means that there won't be any assholes at all because, well...that would be stupid, like you said. I got the impression that what he was saying was that it won't be an environment which breeds assholes, like online FPS games are.

coldshadow

Mar 19, 2009
Aeshi said:
So children aren't people because their brains haven't had time to turn to mush and are evil for wanting to play games multiplayer?

the point he is trying to make is that when you meet a kid in real life, the kid doesn't swear at you and try and teabag you when you fall over. so why should it be like that in a game, especially in a game like this where everything is much more calm and has an almost philosophical feel.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Chen's found that in Left 4 Dead people would often kill him for his medical pack, when the game is supposed to be about surviving together.
Oh you little liar. 250 hours of gameplay and no such thing happened to me, ever. But it certainly fits your agenda :D

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
For humans? Better ship that game with a mandatory Gom jabbar test then.

Anyway, to me this sounds more like "This game is basically online all the time, but you'll barely realise it until you see someone else."