JRPG Dev Promises 400 Hour PSP RPG Before Handheld Dies

GoldenShadow

May 13, 2008
Any game advertised as having 400 hours of gameplay is one I will pass up in a heartbeat. I'm not ready to settle down and get married to one game. I will stay single and have lots of quick cheap thrills with many many games.

Xander_VJ

Nov 8, 2007
The idea doesn't sound bad in theory. We'll have to see HOW the game will get to that.

On a sightly different note, Imageepoch efforts for restating JRPGs old respectfulness is noble... but it's seems to be going kind of wrong.

They seem SO worried about their games being liked that I can't help but fear that that will be the very same reason they will (probably) fail. It's like hitting on a hot girl. The more you show off you wanna be liked by her, the less she will actually like you.

And they don't seem to realize that.

And besides, they are getting some exciting features that might feel fresh, but they seem to be missing A LOT of the things most of JRPG-haters actively diminish, like the anime visual design or command-based combats.

If you don't present those in a EXTREMELY unique way (like "Valkyria Chronicle" did, for instance), there's no way in hell the genre criticizers are going to change their minds. NO-WAY-IN-HELL.

Actually, quite the contrary. They will hear the "game-that-will-change-JRPGs-popularity" thing, which will AUTOMATICALLY put this kind of people in "skeptic mode". Then they will see the art style and 99% of them will get alienated against it, even before they touch the console. And because of that alienation, most probably they wouldn't like it anyway even if they played it.

Long story short: Imageepoch seem to believe they are "thinking big" for they JRPG revival crusade. And sadly, they don't realize that they are thinking EXTREMELY small.

I'll be glad if I'm wrong in the end, though.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
400 Hours for multiple endings? I think I might play it once and YouTube the others. Really it's not like there is 400 hours of content. It's 50 hours that you do over and over while making a couple of small choice differently. Let this person live or die, make friends with party B and not party A...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
400 hours huh? Only if I care enough about the characters to see what happens in each ending. This does intrigue me though, and IF it's any good I might get it.

I don't know if I can play a single game for that long, but kudos for ambition.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
I believe there's a misprint in the article's title, it should be "JRPG Dev Promises 400 Hour PSP Grindfest Before Handheld Dies".

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
I think that it COULD work. Maybe.

I enjoy the Way of the Samurai series, which is essentially an extremely replayable 'choose-your-own-adventure'.
I sank 400 hours into that sucker.

Then the sequel came along.

The trick of Way of the Samurai was it's extreme shortness but MANY different storylines.

You never feel the slog of replaying a whole game since it's so diminutive in length,
and the plots are so varied that every new game feels like a 'mini-sequel'.

Example:
(I'm summarizing)
First Run:
Bridge spawn.
Save girl from being kidnapped by gang. Spare leader. Refuse to join, making enemy's.
Agree to coffee with girl. Find out her and her family are being evicted. Save them from repo men.
Agree to help when I can. Random quests. Return to cafe to find that the father has been captured by gang.
Try to save, fail and die.

Second RunL
Bridge Spawn.
Ask to join in the fun.
They tie me up, leave me on some train tracks.
I squirm for a minute until someone hears my cry's.
They offer to untie me for some help in uprooting a gang.
I refuse. They leave me there, and I am run over by a train and die.

If the story is interesting and has many variables, the new game can pull it off.

(Oh, and Way of the Samurai keeps track of your game as a whole. Every 'new game' counts towards your final time).

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
matrix3509 said:
I spent 423 hours on my first playthrough of Oblivion+Shivering Isle, so its not unheard of.
The thing is Oblivion is a console game, this is a handheld. It would've made more sense to compare this game to Monster Hunter, you know, that game that says, "Welcome Newbie" when you complete 100 hours...

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
If this is yet ANOTHER SRPG, I couldn't give less of a damn. And it looks like one, with the talk of "action points" and other such nonsense.

The genre is completely dead. Demised. Passed on. It has ceased to be.
It is an ex-genre, if you will.

That sounds... immense. If War and Peace had a baby with all the Harry Potter books that was somehow a video-game, this game would be twice as long as that. Holy fuck.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
Ugh, just when my handheld breaks and I need a nice long different game to play this comes along. Haven't played a jrpg in a while and something this long actually tempts me into getting my handheld fixed and then getting this game. Don't have the money though so damn.

Does anyone know of any console jrpg's that are pretty good, long, (hopefully) deep and pretty cheap? Looking for anything from the first PS to now or for the 360.