JRPG Dev Promises 400 Hour PSP RPG Before Handheld Dies

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
JRPG Dev Promises 400 Hour PSP RPG Before Handheld Dies

One of Imageepoch's next big JRPG efforts on the PSP is said to include the potential for 400 hours of gameplay.

At the end of 2010, Imageepoch unveiled [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105615-Imageepoch-Unveils-New-Wave-of-JRPGs] an upcoming lineup of JRPGs it hopes will revive the genre in 2011 and beyond. Part of that revival apparently involves one of those games including hundreds of hours of gameplay.

Through Twitter, Imageepoch CEO Ryoei Mikage wrote that he'd been going through Final Promise Story, the first of the company's new wave of games scheduled for release in Japan on April 28. The PSP RPG features a command-based battle system and a story that involves two warring kingdoms: one that favors magic, and the other machinery.

Mikage tweeted that Final Promise Story will take 50 hours to complete, but due to the game's multiple endings and characters, it'll take players 400 hours to see everything. I don't know if that means that players will have to play through the game 8 times, or if there'll be lots of side quests, but that's quite a lot of content even if only the first 50 hours are the most meaningful.

[gallery=102]

Final Promise Story was already intriguing, with a visual style that resembles a cross between confirmed [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1295847273&sr=8-1] to be localizing Imageepoch's upcoming line of JRPGs for regions other than Japan, so we'll hopefully get a look at the game, though I think 50 hours or so will be all I can personally handle.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/24/fps_400_hours/]

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
400 hours? Well I think I sunk that much time already into League of Legends so why not? I'll try all 400.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Thats....too much. I can't handle games that stretch towards the 50 hour mark usually. I guess if all of the content is extremely interesting, but I can't see it impacting the game enough to want you to actually explore all "400 hours" of it.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Yea....no. I really don't quite "get" how someone could be able to play a game for 400 hours and not lose interest in it. Eh, different strokes for different folks.

And "Final Promise Story" is possibly the most un-imaginative name I've ever heard.

EDIT- Just watched the trailer for shits and giggles...kinda wish I hadn't. Game looks about as original and thought-provoking as the title. This is supposed to change people's opinions on the JRPG genre...how? Sure as hell didn't change mine.

MmmFiber

Apr 19, 2009
The handhelds keep looking more and more appealing. But, I'm currently saving up for a trip. Damn them all to heck!

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
If this is yet ANOTHER SRPG, I couldn't give less of a damn. And it looks like one, with the talk of "action points" and other such nonsense.

The genre is completely dead. Demised. Passed on. It has ceased to be.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
the entirety of those 400 hours will be spent in looooong drawn out battles where the player is forced to take turns with the enemy.

/burn

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I'm always wary of games that through multiple choice options use replayability as a game mechanic to increase the games length. If a standard play through is going to be 50 hours though then that is more than enough and I can't complain. For Tom's question though I would think it's pretty obvious that it would be much more playing through the game 8 times than mass amounts side questing. It's not really anything new at that either... a JRPG called Tactics Ogre comes to mind, about 50 hours to play through with multiple choices online the way so if you're determined to 'see everything' you could probably spend at least 200 hours.

Defense

Oct 20, 2010
Looks average. I'll still look out for it though, since trailers have never made me want a game.

Grey_Focks said:
EDIT- Just watched the trailer for shits and giggles...kinda wish I hadn't. Game looks about as original and thought-provoking as the title. This is supposed to change people's opinions on the JRPG genre...how? Sure as hell didn't change mine.
I didn't see anything either, but I don't expect a 2 minute trailer with no clear gameplay footage to blow me out of the water.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Okay, if we're going by multiple endings as well, then Star Ocean 2 is easily the longest game of all time.

Kind of seems like cheating to me, like including all of the side quests in a regular games play time.

Also, it reminds me A LOT of the SMT games, not that that's a bad thing of course.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Considering Disgaea takes a helluva lot more than that (Show me your level 9999 team, and I'll show you mine), especially if you want to see all the endings, max out all your team's items, max out all their levels, and unlock all the secret stuff. Leave it to Nippon Ichi...

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Defense said:
Looks average. I'll still look out for it though, since trailers have never made me want a game.

Grey_Focks said:
I didn't see anything either, but I don't expect a 2 minute trailer with no clear gameplay footage to blow me out of the water.
I would imagine Grey Focks apart from maybe playing a game or two isn't even a fan of the genre to begin with. JRPG's started out as a niche genre in the West and have since returned to that status. Except now thanks to the internet you always get everyone else who wouldn't even play the games to begin with throwing in their two cents about how the genre is stale, unoriginal, dying, or whatever. It's a JRPG, it's not supposed to be the next Bethesda or Bioware game.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
RandV80 said:
Defense said:

Grey_Focks said:
I would imagine Grey Focks apart from maybe playing a game or two isn't even a fan of the genre to begin with. JRPG's started out as a niche genre in the West and have since returned to that status. Except now thanks to the internet you always get everyone else who wouldn't even play the games to begin with throwing in their two cents about how the genre is stale, unoriginal, dying, or whatever. It's a JRPG, it's not supposed to be the next Bethesda or Bioware game.
You are partially correct, though there are a few JRPGs that I enjoy (original Final Fantasy Tactics being my all time favorite) but my point was, that the devs of these literally said that their goal was to "change the way people see JRPGs" or "reinvigorate the genre" or some such thing. I saw none of that in this trailer, and as a maybe partial fan (who would dearly like to enjoy them again) I do believe I am part of the target audience.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
More than 2 solid weeks of 24/7 nonstop playtime.

Granted, I've played WoW more that than, but seriously. For a PSP game? That's ridiculous.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Grey_Focks said:
RandV80 said:
Defense said:

Grey_Focks said:
You are partially correct, though there are a few JRPGs that I enjoy (original Final Fantasy Tactics being my all time favorite) but my point was, that the devs of these literally said that their goal was to "change the way people see JRPGs" or "reinvigorate the genre" or some such thing. I saw none of that in this trailer, and as a maybe partial fan (who would dearly like to enjoy them again) I do believe I am part of the target audience.
Yes I can agree with that, when I started reading other articles linking to this one I noticed that trend how they're talking more about making JRPG's popular again, and that this probably isn't going to cut it. Rather than worrying about that they need to worry about getting their core fanbase back, and for that we need to actually get some decent games released. I see this as more following the recent trend of 2D platformers rather than trying to constantly evolve the genre into something the average gamer will like again and losing your old fans in the process.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Hopefully they will all come here to the west. Or at least to Europe so I can buy one of ebay even though that would probably be more expensive...

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
400 Hours... damn thats way to much.

No wonder japanese games fail, if endless games (which lets face it probably just means more grinding) is a mark of quality.