JRPG dudes look feminine because asian dudes look (somewhat) feminine

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
From Dictionary.com

---

eth·no·cen·trism Audio Help /ˌɛθnoʊˈsɛntrɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[eth-noh-sen-triz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?noun
1. Sociology. the belief in the inherent superiority of one's own ethnic group or culture.
2. a tendency to view alien groups or cultures from the perspective of one's own.
[Origin: 1905?10; ethno- + cent(e)r + -ism]

?Related forms
eth·no·cen·tric, adjective
eth·no·cen·tri·cal·ly, adverb
eth·no·cen·tric·i·ty Audio Help /ˌɛθnoʊsɛnˈtrɪsɪti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[eth-noh-sen-tris-i-tee] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

---

rac·ism Audio Help /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
?noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.
[Origin: 1865?70; < F racisme. See race2, -ism]

?Related forms
racist, noun, adjective
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

---

Just to clarify that ethnocentric doesn't make it much better. If at all. There's no malice but the ignorance is still there which by and large actually does begin to offend me. C'mon I thought the Escapist was meant to be an intelligent and thoughtful creature, but I could have seen this kind "scholarship" from 4chan or Gamefaqs.

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
As for Brits and Japs driving with a different method, that's because they're driving on the right side of the road and you're not!
yes I tried to make that analogy; of course they would draw the steer on the right because that's how it IS there. Of course the heroes would be more feminine, because to a certain extend, that's how it IS right there (as a lot of posters here have pointed out, of course it's not all that black-and-white, but I still think there is that 'certain extend'

Thats not entirely true, which you also know.

There's a thing about more muscle mass, broad shoulders, larger frame in general - And that thing that women got hips.

Also stuff about jawline, chin, eyebrowbone, and almost everything about your face.

-- The problem is that the JRPG main male characters have no shoulders/arms, and have faces resembling the female sidekick's very much. In turn the women tend to have no hips, and no breasts (Or both are VASTLY overdone) and such either there is NO contrast, or a very wrong contrast.

"A man isn't more muscular than a women biologically" Yes he is, you should be able to tell a man from a women by simply looking at their frame, which you can't in JRPG.

I'm not asking for a Arnold Schwarzenegger clone, I'm asking for a man that looks like an actual man.

-- One thing is obeying the cultural trends, whatever, but they are OVERDOING it the EXTREME. While the trends might very well say that people must look feminine, it CANNOT remove the biological differences between male and females. BUT IN THE GAMES, YOU ARE ALMOST UNABLE TO TELL A MAN FROM A BY LOOKING AT THEM, HOW DOES THIS MAKE SENSE???
That's what I'm saying! Because to some extend, the asian male frame IS more similar to the asian female frame than the western male frame is to the western female frame, THAT's why it makes sense!

And I'm really not trying to bash here. My lovely GF falls exactly for that (my asian frame :)

s0denone

Apr 25, 2008
Susan Arendt post=9.68314.625185 said:
I didn't misunderstand at all, just attempted to inject a bit of levity.
Duly noted, and I see where you're coming from.

tobyornottoby post=9.68314.627394 said:
That's what I'm saying! Because to some extend, the asian male frame IS more similar to the asian female frame than the western male frame is to the western female frame, THAT's why it makes sense!

And I'm really not trying to bash here. My lovely GF falls exactly for that (my asian frame :)
You may very well have a point, I don't have much knowledge of asians, but I have seen a few, and that's the reasen I'm only partially agreeing. Had I had more knowledge, I would most likely agree wholeheartedly.

This does, however, not change the fact that there are still vast differences between males and females, and that the JRPGS with a main character fitting the unrecognised gender profile, is very wrong. A man should still look like a man, and a woman look like a woman.

You can debate all you want that asians have rather small frames, and that the females and men are more alike than in western countries - Even if you are right, which you most likely are, since you're asain yourself, it wouldn't matter.

How does it make you feel, as an asian, to be depicted as a feminine ball-less clown, wearing makeup and looking like the cat had it's way with your face, ripping your a female one - and then you went shopping with the worst possible people ever, dressing you in clothing 2 sizes too small, and all in wicked colours.

Sure, the colour part might be alright, that's just me hating that trend, J-Rock, J-Pop, whatever it is, but how about the rest of it?

You're an asian man, do you like to be depicted as the least manly of all men? Answer me honestly, now. We know you have male genitals, but from the looks of it, you have no bicep-muscles, you have a very feminine face, your smaller than most females in height, and besides that, you either have NO EMOTIONS AT ALL, or have TOO MANY EMOTIONS ALL THE TIME.

BallPtPenTheif

Jun 11, 2008
In Japan, there is a subculture where teenage girls create fan fiction around the homoeroticism of male comic book heroes. I'd imagine that these effeminite character designs are somehow related to that impetus or social momentum.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Male characters in JRPGs look feminine because that's what the fangirls squee over. Same reason that the female characters wear two scraps of cloth and some belts, because that's what the fanboys drool over.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
What JRPG's have you people been playing. Seriously, a small, and I mean SMALL group of games have to so called"feminine" character, and its automatically branded that all JRPG's have this. I have played my fair share and I cant help but go WTF? to this whole thread. It is not as commonly used as it's made out to be. Also this is another culture we are talking about, their perceptions and art styles are going to be different to our own, and yet people ignore that core premise of the whole thing. It's strange to us yes, but over there it could be normal. Really, I prefer the is "feminine" look over the oh so commonly done conan look.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Just wanted to say I was kinda offended at first being an Asian myself, but after reading some post where people were defending the Asian men, I think I will be content with that and see where this thread leads..

Also got the feeling that some of them were women defending the Asians, and to think of it, their opinions are the only ones that really matter. ;)

Zyrell

May 5, 2008
OP has obviously never been to Japan.
Seriously if your talking about JRPG's as far as character designs with men looking like women its more because of art style and art direction rather than an interpretation of reality.
If you seriously think you can go to Japan and not be able to tell a man from a woman you must be blind. Making a point of saying they all look the same is stupid too. I can walk around in my own city and see just as many men who look like women albiet in Japan you will see this much more frequently strictly due to the population desnsity of cities.
Again its a culture thing too in Japan is very into fashion, if you dont have designer something in Japan people may look at you funny and probably will. Its different from North America and in the now much more aware global community where were exposed to other cultures you may think its stupid but im sure they think something we do for a passtime or as a cultural event is equally so.

This isn't just a har har i'm more worldly than you post either. However I have been to to Japan so i at least have personal experience and exposure to their culture to go on and generate a general consensus .

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Zyrell post=9.68314.635708 said:
OP has obviously never been to Japan.
Seriously if your talking about JRPG's as far as character designs with men looking like women its more because of art style and art direction rather than an interpretation of reality.
If you seriously think you can go to Japan and not be able to tell a man from a woman you must be blind. Making a point of saying they all look the same is stupid too. I can walk around in my own city and see just as many men who look like women albiet in Japan you will see this much more frequently strictly due to the population desnsity of cities.
Again its a culture thing too in Japan is very into fashion, if you dont have designer something in Japan people may look at you funny and probably will. Its different from North America and in the now much more aware global community where were exposed to other cultures you may think its stupid but im sure they think something we do for a passtime or as a cultural event is equally so.

This isn't just a har har i'm more worldly than you post either. However I have been to to Japan so i at least have personal experience and exposure to their culture to go on and generate a general consensus .
QFT

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
How does it make you feel, as an asian, to be depicted as a feminine ball-less clown, wearing makeup and looking like the cat had it's way with your face, ripping your a female one - and then you went shopping with the worst possible people ever, dressing you in clothing 2 sizes too small, and all in wicked colours.

Sure, the colour part might be alright, that's just me hating that trend, J-Rock, J-Pop, whatever it is, but how about the rest of it?

You're an asian man, do you like to be depicted as the least manly of all men? Answer me honestly, now. We know you have male genitals, but from the looks of it, you have no bicep-muscles, you have a very feminine face, your smaller than most females in height, and besides that, you either have NO EMOTIONS AT ALL, or have TOO MANY EMOTIONS ALL THE TIME.
Honestly? Yes.

The way it is depicted, is of course a exaggeration, waaay to feminine, but still, that connects more with me than, say, a schwarzenegger exaggeration.

Now you might want to give me links to what you're having in mind when writing this, maybe it's something different than what I have ^^;

What JRPG's have you people been playing. Seriously, a small, and I mean SMALL group of games have to so called"feminine" character, and its automatically branded that all JRPG's have this. I have played my fair share and I cant help but go WTF? to this whole thread.
Guilty, now I've generalized BOTH sides of the equation. But let's use Yathzee's (in)famous example for this, FF

Just wanted to say I was kinda offended at first being an Asian myself, but after reading some post where people were defending the Asian men, I think I will be content with that and see where this thread leads..
sorry I spend waaaaay to little time thinking how it would come over. I basically looked like the kind of guy that I'm trying to battle with this thread >.>'

anyways, do you connect with those characters easier too?

If you seriously think you can go to Japan and not be able to tell a man from a woman you must be blind. Making a point of saying they all look the same is stupid too.
I've been to asia, but unfortunately not yet to Japan ;_;
I'm definitely not saying the first thing. Yes, that would be very, very blind
Second thing... of course not, but the untrained eye will it difficult at first. That says nothing about the people and everything about the eye, yes.

Seriously if your talking about JRPG's as far as character designs with men looking like women its more because of art style and art direction rather than an interpretation of reality. [...] I can walk around in my own city and see just as many men who look like women albiet in Japan you will see this much more frequently strictly due to the population desnsity of cities.
Now THAT is what I battle. I think on avarage, the asian male frame is closer to the female frame than the western male frame is to the female frame. And the way it is depicted in various forms of pop culture, is an exaggeration of that, just like there are conan exaggerations or certain female exaggerations.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
Erana said:
tobyornottoby post=9.68314.624393 said:
Why is nobody bashing the fact that in japanese anime, or british animation or whatever, the steers are on the right side of the car? Makes no sense right? Except for that's just how it is over there.

Then why is everybody always so bent on bashing JRPGs girly guys? Google some J-pop bands for fun. There's a lot of guys there that look just like girls too. Although I have to admit that looking at cosplay compilations on youtube, female crossplayers have it pretty easy :) Anyways, studies show that asian dudes have less testosterone in their blood than western guys, so it's all just... the way it is
You're just jealous because Japanese men are, in a whole, more attractive.
Testosterone does not euqal attractive.
Especially Disgusting, repulsive chest hair. Notice how Kratos has none?
Sorry if I insulted you, but I have a thing agianst hairy.
If androdgyny = attractiveness, then yes.

Personally, I differ.

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
It still creeps me out no matter if it's in real life or a video game. But then those stupid pop bands strive for that idiotic look.

seidlet

Mar 5, 2009
Jark212 said:
Maby it's because Japanese chicks are into girly men/boys
this point of view is not limited to japanese chicks, trust me. androgyny is hot.

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
tobyornottoby said:
Why is nobody bashing the fact that in japanese anime, or british animation or whatever, the steers are on the right side of the car? Makes no sense right? Except for that's just how it is over there.
Come to think of it what other countries have their steering wheel on the left side of the car? Maybe the japanese/british should be bashing your country? :p

I just don't think that the kind of people who would see J-RPG characters on a regular basis would be the kind of people who bash people for looking more feminine. These people aren't over sensitive about their need to look macho.