JRPG fans- are you a handheld gamer?

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Dreiko said:
^
There's 2 Valkyria Chronicles games on PSP so check those out too! :D
Ando85 said:
Dreiko said:
You remember Drag-on Dragoon on ps2? (which was called Drakengard in the west)

Nier is a sequel of one of it's many endings. It's by the same people, so if you have some experience with that you should know what to expect. It's epic and dark and not all that simple and easygoing, unlike most Jrpgs.
I actually recently discovered that they were related. I recall seeing Drakengard in the past but I never picked it up. Now I think I might try to track it and 2 down as they are likely fairly cheap now.

It's a mix of Panzer Dragoon and Dynasty warriors gameplay, if that makes sense. Both nothing special, the story however is beyond epic. If you've watched or read Berserk, expect something like that, with horrid demon rape, incest and pedophilic elements to boot, all tackled seriously and with a straight face. You wouldn't expect the game to be released by someone as big as SE lol.

One of the endings which is what links it with Nier has you basically take the fight into "real" Tokyo and the effects of the fight (which I won't spoil) are what transform the world into what we see in Nier.
I've never played Dynasty Warriors but I think I still know the type of gameplay, and I have played a few Panzer Dragoon titles.

I like how you mentioned Berserk. I'm not really that huge into anime, but I love Berserk and have watched it multiple times. If this game is like that I really need to get it.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Powereaver said:
im just curious but what is tales of eternia like? ive been hearing about it for ages.. and i love the tales games.. and i love games i can sink my teeth into with a lot of gameplay.. im usually playing games that are good 30+ hours timesinks so im curious to get more info on it, chuck Atelier Rorona into that category too.. heard its a lot like Suikoden
I actually recently played Tales of Eternia. In the states on PS1 it is called Tales of Destiny 2. I love Vesperia, Abyss, and Symphonia, but wondered how Eternia stacked up against those. I was pleasantly surprised. It is a really solid game, good characters, good story, good gameplay. Compared to other Tales it is a bit on the short side. Took me about 26 hours whereas I invested atleast 50 hours to each of the three I mentioned.

I really enjoyed Eternia, and I'd say it is my 4th favorite Tales game. That is low on the list of the 5 I have finished (Legendia being the worst of what I played, although I still enjoyed it). But, it is such a great series that I doubt you will be dissapointed.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Ando85 said:
Dreiko said:
^
There's 2 Valkyria Chronicles games on PSP so check those out too! :D
Ando85 said:
Dreiko said:
You remember Drag-on Dragoon on ps2? (which was called Drakengard in the west)

Nier is a sequel of one of it's many endings. It's by the same people, so if you have some experience with that you should know what to expect. It's epic and dark and not all that simple and easygoing, unlike most Jrpgs.
I actually recently discovered that they were related. I recall seeing Drakengard in the past but I never picked it up. Now I think I might try to track it and 2 down as they are likely fairly cheap now.

It's a mix of Panzer Dragoon and Dynasty warriors gameplay, if that makes sense. Both nothing special, the story however is beyond epic. If you've watched or read Berserk, expect something like that, with horrid demon rape, incest and pedophilic elements to boot, all tackled seriously and with a straight face. You wouldn't expect the game to be released by someone as big as SE lol.

One of the endings which is what links it with Nier has you basically take the fight into "real" Tokyo and the effects of the fight (which I won't spoil) are what transform the world into what we see in Nier.
I've never played Dynasty Warriors but I think I still know the type of gameplay, and I have played a few Panzer Dragoon titles.

I like how you mentioned Berserk. I'm not really that huge into anime, but I love Berserk and have watched it multiple times. If this game is like that I really need to get it.

Oh boy, you've not read the manga...

People, he has not read the manga, sound the alarm!

Seriously though, how do I put it...well...the anime is a flashback. The manga which has been going since 94 and is still up to it, has about 35 volumes, the anime covered about 12 of them with a few things censored and a few longer bits removed entirely. If you have not read the manga you have NO IDEA what's going on in the world. Do yourself a favor and look it up. Remember how the first episode in the anime takes place after all the rest...well, the manga goes on after that for a bit, then does the flashbacks and then picks up again in the proper timeline. Through over twice as much additional stuff as you see in the anime. Casca loses her sanity from her ordeal in that last episode, she also ends up with child, it's really really only the beginning of the whole mess.

Btw, think of Griffith's horrific torture and general punishment, don't you think it was kinda too severe for his crime. I mean, think about it, by the time he was sleeping with the princess he was the best knight in the whole kingdom, who else would be a better fit husband for her than him? They never quite reveal that in the anime, I can explain it to you know but I'd rather wait for it and let you see for yourself why it makes sense in the manga...and it's not pretty.

I hope I've piqued your curiosity enough here, I really shouldn't start going on about Berserk lol, it's my fav manga ever so I kinda get lost explaining stuff :D.

Aiden Raine

Oct 3, 2011
I have PSP and DS. no plans to get a 3DS, but I'll probably get a Vita. kinda sad that most of the JRPGs this gen are on handhelds..

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
Dreiko said:
Aye, I should really get into the manga. I enjoyed the anime so much that I wanted to check out the manga, and I bought the first one. I soon realized that it would cost a fortune to collect them all. I need to find a good place to read them on the internet.

Yea, as for Griffith the torturous punishment seemed a bit extreme but definitely had an effect on me when I witnessed it. By the end of the series my jaw had dropped more than once.

Thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine got me into the series and has also talked to me about the manga. I'll have to check it out.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Ando85 said:
Dreiko said:
Aye, I should really get into the manga. I enjoyed the anime so much that I wanted to check out the manga, and I bought the first one. I soon realized that it would cost a fortune to collect them all. I need to find a good place to read them on the internet.

Yea, as for Griffith the torturous punishment seemed a bit extreme but definitely had an effect on me when I witnessed it. By the end of the series my jaw had dropped more than once.

Thanks for the suggestion. A friend of mine got me into the series and has also talked to me about the manga. I'll have to check it out.
No, I mean about why the punishment seemingly didn't fit his crime at all, the reason behind why the king suddenly hated so much the knight who had basically saved his kingdom from certain doom. That reason will have your jaw dropping in many different ways.

It should be up on mangatraders or other assorted sites, not that hard to locate with a few searches.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
T-004 said:
Okysho said:
Absolutely. Maybe it's just because I'm a Wii owner so we don't really get ANYTHING (oh yeah, project rainfall too and all that shit) but just recently I found myself giving away all my hard earned pennies to buy a PSP. (dissidia 1 and 2 with it) suddenly my JRPG library options have trippled. It's good for smaller companies (I think it's a japanese thing too, since they're always on the go) You'd think a big epic Final Fantasy fighting game would come out on the big powerful console (hell even crisis core). But then again they've made 3 tales of the world games and only one has made it over here so who knows...
You should check out Xenoblade Chronicles if you haven't already.

Excellent JRPG with a LOT of depth to it.
Isn't Xenoblade the game they're refusing to release for Wii in North America? I cant get that....

Biek

Mar 5, 2008
I have since the last good jrpg I played is the monster hunter series for the PSP.

T-004

Mar 26, 2008
Okysho said:
T-004 said:
Okysho said:
Absolutely. Maybe it's just because I'm a Wii owner so we don't really get ANYTHING (oh yeah, project rainfall too and all that shit) but just recently I found myself giving away all my hard earned pennies to buy a PSP. (dissidia 1 and 2 with it) suddenly my JRPG library options have trippled. It's good for smaller companies (I think it's a japanese thing too, since they're always on the go) You'd think a big epic Final Fantasy fighting game would come out on the big powerful console (hell even crisis core). But then again they've made 3 tales of the world games and only one has made it over here so who knows...

Isn't Xenoblade the game they're refusing to release for Wii in North America? I cant get that....
I had forgotten it wasn't released in the States :/

Is there no "legal" way to play imports on the Wii?

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
I also got into a lot of unheard of JRPG's through the psp.. like the Ys series and Legend of Heroes.. if i didnt have my PSP i wouldnt have been able to get into those games and i must say i highly enjoy both series

jane.doe

Sep 27, 2011
Some of the best recent JRPG titles have been handheld, i do more JRPG gaming on my handhelds these days than on any console.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
I'm a bit opposite to most here I'm big on Jrpg's but I've only got one handheld one. Most are bought from PSN for me and played on my ps3.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I used to be a JRPG fan but I haven't played them in forever. However I've noticed a huge trend lately that all the ones I would want to play are on handhelds. The downside? I CANNOT play a handheld. It drives me insane. It is a shame because I think developers take more risks on handhelds and come out with great games that would never see a real release on a major console/PC.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
T-004 said:
Okysho said:
T-004 said:
Okysho said:

I had forgotten it wasn't released in the States :/

Is there no "legal" way to play imports on the Wii?
Canadian, but same continent lol.

I could ship out for a PAL Wii and a copy of the game for sure, but I'm not really willing to spend $500 on it, especially when I can upgrade my PC for that much... That's TECHNICALLY legal... just a real hassle...

Glad to hear it's an enjoyable piece though, looking forward to "maybe, eventually" getting it over here

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
I guess I have been using my DS and PSP for JRPGs a lot lately, although it could be because I don't have a PS3 for all the new ones. And my PS2 still sees a lot of use with the old ones.