JRPG recommendations

trooper112

Mar 10, 2009
Lately I have been into my Japanese RPG's, I have been playing games like Skies of Arcadia and Blue Dragon, and I NEED MORE!!! Could you please recommend some jrpg's for me, I don't care what console or handheld they are on. Thanks

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
The old final fantasy games (up until 6) are amazing. Also the Golden Sun games are great examples of JRPGs.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Check out Persona 3 and 4 on PS2, or Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. Legend of Dragoon on Playstation is an underrated gem. Devil Survivor and Strange Journey on DS are also awesome.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
The Dragon Quest games are pretty good, I think.
Journey of the Cursed King's alright, anyway. It's for the PS2 and is really, really, really long. Or I just take forever with fights. I forget.
Should kill some time, anyway. If you can find it, that is. I'm not sure how easy it is to get hold of these days, haven't looked.

trooper112

Mar 10, 2009
I love the dragon quest series, and I have a copy of VIII, I've just never got round to playing it

MightyMole

Mar 5, 2011
Handhelds are pretty much king for JRPG's this gen. Talking consoles, Lost Odyssey is a great JRPG made by the same people who made Blue Dragon. You can't really go wrong with the Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest or Tales series, the latest installments being Final Fantasy XIII, Dragon Quest IX (DS exclusive) and Tales of Vesperia. Eternal Sonata is also a good JRPG to check into. If you live in Europe, or don't mind importing, the Wii has Xenoblade Chronicles and I believe they have or are getting The Last Story as well. In terms of the DS, The World Ends With You has been pretty well received as well as the Chrono Trigger remake/port for the DS. The DS also has quite a few Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games to it's name. I'm a pretty casual fan of the JRPG genre, so the games I listed are probably good if your just starting out, but there are tons of JRPGs that I know I missed. Hope this helps :)

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
renegade7 said:
The old final fantasy games (up until 3 with the exception of 5) are amazing. Also the Golden Sun games are great examples of JRPGs.
Fixed for you.

Any FF game is good, ignore the elitists who call themselves fans but arnt.

Also Check out Cross edge SUPER UNDERRATED ps3 JRPG.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
I've recently been playing Eternal Sonata for the PS3/Xbox360. Good story, a little boring initially but ain't that the way with JRPGs. However I'd avoid the later final fantasies like the plague, they have predictable stories and ever worsening gameplay.

Idiotastic

Mar 21, 2010
I'm rather enjoying Lost Odyssey myself at the moment.
The story is great and it has some tiny differences that make it stand out as a JRPG.

It's also been produced by Hironobu Sakaguchi,who you might know from something called Final Fantasy

trooper112

Mar 10, 2009
happy_turtle said:
I've recently been playing Eternal Sonata for the PS3/Xbox360. Good story, a little boring initially but ain't that the way with JRPGs. However I'd avoid the later final fantasies like the plague, they have predictable stories and ever worsening gameplay.
I know what you mean, I though XII was terrible

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
Someone already suggested it but I think I'll second their recommendation: try Persona 4 and 3. I'm not a very big jrpg fan but after playing Persona 4 over this summer I might definitely have to change my opinion.

Galaxialconda

Oct 19, 2008
TehCookie said:
Anything by Atlus or NIS is pretty much golden.
Truer words never spoken. Of course you got your basic FF series which is always a good one... hmm.. oh! The Tales of games are amazing (Symphonia, Vesperia, Eternia)
Then you got your Star Ocean, I'm a magnormous fan of the Shadow Heart series, the first one is a bit of a pain to get a hold of but realy worth it, can play the second and third without it though.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head right now but should keep you going for many a week if your a completionist kind of JRPG player x3

I could just list all my JRPGs but I would be hear for like 10 minutes typing them all ^^"

Mad1Cow

Jan 8, 2011
I quite enjoyed Golden Sun when I were a lad...not that I've tried any of the new ones. Here's a tip, download and emulator for GBA, get the first Golden Sun ROM and see if you enjoy it, if you don't, no loss except maybe your time and if you do enjoy it, then go purchase the new one and see if it's also any good. It may not be but there's a safe bet that a sequel is gonna play just like it's predecessor except with my shiny things...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Dragon quest: Journey of the cursed king on PS2 [http://www.videox-store.co.uk/products.php?product=Dragon-Quest] or Shining force 1/2 on the genesis. These games ooze charm and charecter. Much better than the modern tripe that gets squeezed out. I love the protagonists in each of these games. I do not see why JRPGs seem so hung up on unlikable charecters at the moment.

For something very different try Koudelka on the ps1. Turn based horror JRPG. The party is fantastic with a witch, a priest and an adventurer thrown together. Their conversations with each other are fantastic and the atmosphere is smonething else.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
Fusioncode9 said:
Check out Persona 3 and 4 on PS2, or Valkyria Chronicles on PS3. Legend of Dragoon on Playstation is an underrated gem. Devil Survivor and Strange Adventure on DS are also awesome.
Strange Journey? (The Shin Megami Tensei game that's a throwback to the original SMT games, with the Demonica?) Haa, I love that game. I'm still in the second sector, but man, I love that game. I also agree with you on Legend of Dragoon.

Hmm. I'm actually doing the absurd thing of playing all the FF games as soon as I can get access to them. (which has slowed down substantially since the remaining few I can't emulate. X/XII/XIII damn your current/lastgen-ness!)

Golden Sun and The Lost Age were good, can't comment on Dark Dawn since I haven't played it yet. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga was damn good if you can tolerate it being Mario. (Though Partners in Time was eternally dull to me, Bowser's Inside Story is also pretty good.)

Uh... Wow. I need to play some JRPGs myself. Been playing too many masochistic platformers lately.