Judge "Berates" Prosecution in Xbox Modding Trial

Richard Allen

Mar 16, 2010
Sonicron said:
Wow, the judge flew off the handle? Cool. Gives me the impression of a 'harsh, but fair' kind of man.

Made me think of this fellow.

Anyone who knows Boston Legal knows this guy - best judge on the entire show, and I can totally see this character giving the prosecution (or anyone, really) a run for their money.
Poppy cock is totally the best judge, that and the larger woman who gets in the fight with the midget =)

etherlance

Apr 1, 2009
Well how can these prosecutors hope to make an example of this guy apparently breaking the law, when they themselves are using techniques that also break the law in order to catch him out.

LooseNugget

Feb 25, 2009
Samus Aaron said:
It's nice to see the justice system actually doing its job.

Straying Bullet said:
I love this jugde. He literally tore a new one on these people, I hope the kid doesn't get jailed ten years just to be an example. But nobody will be afraid of this kind of thing!
Literally? Wow, that's pretty fucked up.

lol, dude warn me next time! I was drinking milk and now it's all over my keyboard (literally).

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
etherlance said:
Well how can these prosecutors hope to make an example of this guy apparently breaking the law, when they themselves are using techniques that also break the law in order to catch him out.
By the powers of "hypocrisy", "money" and the fact that screaming "PIRATES!!!" will have everyone agree to whatever you are saying without second thoughts.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
MAJOR UPDATE: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/12/crippen-dismissed/

Until, you know, there's an Escapist link. ;)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Richard Allen said:
Poppy cock is totally the best judge, that and the larger woman who gets in the fight with the midget =)
What, you mean that senile old goat, Judge "No jibber-jabber in my courtroom!"?
He was fun, but not as much as this guy. Remember when he embarassed that first-year associate in front of the media and made him hop out of the courtroom on one leg and with one hand behind his back? Good times.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
SaintWaldo said:
MAJOR UPDATE: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/12/crippen-dismissed/

Until, you know, there's an Escapist link. ;)

The Feds had to drop their prosecution. They could see what kind of precedence losing this case would set once 'fair use' reasoning was allowed to the defence, it would basically pull the teeth from the DMCA's provisions on circumventing anti-copying measures.

That it's their own prosecution team's fault just makes it hilarious.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
...right, I think he was getting more than a bit off mark by saying that modding was okay because there's no other way to play "copied" or "backup" games.

Last I checked, the former was illegal, and the latter was virtually nonexistent.