Judge Denies Bethesda Fallout Injunction

LoopyDood

Dec 13, 2008
Sparrow said:
That's total bull. Interplay are just being greedy. How can you justify selling your rights for a game away, but then breaking the agreement and selling the game under the same name?

Oh, and they can fuck right off for marketing it as Fallout 3.
They didn't sell the rights to a game, they sold the rights to the Fallout franchise, which didn't include the Fallout games Interplay had already made. They are still selling the Fallout Trilogy, which is Fallout 1, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics. They have never marketed it as Fallout 3, Bethesda's argument was that the name "Fallout Trilogy" was to mislead people into believing it included Fallout 1, 2, and 3. In reality, the Fallout Trilogy has been available since 2004 under the same name, far FAR before Fallout 3 was released so there's no way Interplay's got that kind of agenda.

They also said that "the licensing contract requires all advertising, packaging and other promotional material to be sent to them for approval first, which, according to the lawsuit, was never done by Interplay regarding neither the Fallout Trilogy pack, nor any of the releases through Good Old Games, Steam and other digital distribution platforms." which is also ridiculous for the same reason.

Bethesda are just being a bunch of greedy fucks in my opinion, trying to acquire the rights to the Fallout MMO using dirty legal action which they were contractually obliged to give to Interplay. (Bethesda: OOPS)

Personally, I'm glad Interplay is doing the MMO. Bethesda is rather famous for poor, poor quality control.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Yog Sothoth said:
Yay, the Fallout MMO lives to see another day... I love all of the Fallout games, even Tactics... The only one that I didn't like was that crappy action RPG console game Brotherhood of Steel... Who made that POS? It wasn't Bethesda or Interplay, if I recall...
Developed and produced by Interplay [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_Brotherhood_of_Steel]

Slider2k

Oct 23, 2009
Fallout Trilogy existed long before F3. And the art/style of latter resembles art/style of first games, not the other way around. Fallout Trilogy is better than F3 anyway. So Beth, STFU!

Bethesda is bullying. And that out of the way, i wish that Interplay make a good MMO. Although many people that contributed to making first games are no longer in Interplay, i think they should have a chance. I have no respect towards Beth for re-skinning Oblivion with Fallout universe - I don't like thier vision. Maybe Interplay would do better.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Corruption. Get a new judge, because this one has obvious bias.

And 'undisclosed reasons'? You need a reason to deny a case.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
As a player I'm only worried about Interplay's motives in this. If they are fighting to make Fallout into what it was before Bethesda took it over, I'm cheering up.

Interplay made Fallout as story driven character rich world where violence was always a choice made by the player. You could beat it without firing a shot or by slaughtering everything that moves. Each character had a personality, even those without animated portraits. Most importantly, it made you feel involved.

Bethesda just used Oblivion as the base for a completely different game, as a result Fallout 3 excels as an exploration game, nothing more. I would go further and say that Fallout 3 is just a simplified Oblivion with guns. Oblivion had better story line and some of the side quests were great. In Fallout 3 most of the story is so bad you just abandon it for the side quests which run out pretty fast, leaving you alone to explore the world aimlessly, filling your pockets with guns and ammo.

However, if Interplay's motives are only to feed on the revived franchise and just mount it on the MMO train, I would rather leave it in Bethesda's hands.

BaldursBananaSoap

May 20, 2009
They shouldn't have sold Fallout in the first place. Maybe then it wouldn't have become a simplified shooter with stats. Maybe that explains the bias too.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Amnestic said:
Yog Sothoth said:
Yay, the Fallout MMO lives to see another day... I love all of the Fallout games, even Tactics... The only one that I didn't like was that crappy action RPG console game Brotherhood of Steel... Who made that POS? It wasn't Bethesda or Interplay, if I recall...
Developed and produced by Interplay [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallout:_Brotherhood_of_Steel]
D'oh! Ok, they fucked that one up pretty bad and should be punished...

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Slider2k said:
Fallout Trilogy existed long before F3. And the art/style of latter resembles art/style of first games, not the other way around. Fallout Trilogy is better than F3 anyway. So Beth, STFU!
It is the first games. Have you played them recently? They have extremely bad graphics, the combat system is fairly dated and the time limit on the first game is just stupid.

Slider2k said:
Bethesda is bullying. And that out of the way, i wish that Interplay make a good MMO. Although many people that contributed to making first games are no longer in Interplay, i think they should have a chance. I have no respect towards Beth for re-skinning Oblivion with Fallout universe - I don't like thier vision. Maybe Interplay would do better.
Bethesda aren't bullying them, interplay have an agreement that states they have to have the fallout mmo released by 2011 with development started in 2010 or they lose the licence, interplay have just got out of debt and still need a lot of money to make the mmo.
Also none of the people who made the first games are in interplay they fired them all in 2003 and 1, maybe 2 of them might be working on the fallout mmo

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Bored Tomatoe said:
I honestly think that this is better off in the hands of Interplay, Don't get me wrong, I loved F3, and I love Bethsoft, but I don't think that their buggy releases would go over well with an MMO...
Yes because every other MMO is released perfectly bug-free and never has anything wrong with it ever, right? Just saying

Also to all the "hurr hurr Oblivion with Guns" comments, 2007 called and it wants its unfunny joke back. Bethesda had a huge task continuing a game in a universe as deep as the Fallout one and I for one think they succeeded in staying true to the universe while putting their own spin on it. I know my opinion isn't everyone's but surely there's more you guys have than "Oblivion with Guns". I guess we might as well have called all other First-Person RPGs after 2001 "Deus Ex with *insert different weapon or concept here*", right?

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Crazycat690 said:
"Interplay fuck the game up"? Bethesda fucked fallout up!!! Fallout 3 isnt fallout!!! Its "Elder Scrolls: Apocalyptic Oblivion 2270"!
Indeed, good sir, indeed.

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
I'm confused, does this mean they're going to go ahead and keep working on the MMO or is that dream over now? I'm just glad I picked up the FO trilogy a few months ago for a ridiculously low price.

Rayjay06

May 13, 2009
Interplay messed up their own universe with Tactics and BoS. Even so, I couldn't care less about Interplay having the rights to create a Fallout MMO. The very concept of an MMO set in Post-Apocalyptia is almost as ridiculous as the concept of MMOs in the first place.

Oh and those of you that want to see Fallout returned to the "good ol' days", that's not going to happen, sorry. We are well into the 21st century, get a game that reflects that. If you want to play your outdated games pick something up that actually stood up to the test of time (e.g. Super Mario Bros.) but don't tell us modern gamers that a game made to today's standards and done well is not as good as your precious games that didn't garner nearly the same attention (in sales or critical recognition).

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Rayjay06 said:
Interplay messed up their own universe with Tactics and BoS. Even so, I couldn't care less about Interplay having the rights to create a Fallout MMO. The very concept of an MMO set in Post-Apocalyptia is almost as ridiculous as the concept of MMOs in the first place.

Oh and those of you that want to see Fallout returned to the "good ol' days", that's not going to happen, sorry. We are well into the 21st century, get a game that reflects that. If you want to play your outdated games pick something up that actually stood up to the test of time (e.g. Super Mario Bros.) but don't tell us modern gamers that a game made to today's standards and done well is not as good as your precious games that didn't garner nearly the same attention (in sales or critical recognition).
It is a good idea to always speak for yourself, unless you are some kind of a politician.
Also it wold be nice for you to be so kind and describe what is the difference between a modern gamer and the rest them shady types?
Are you also trying to say that quantity always supports quality?
I'm confused, sorry.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Rayjay06 said:
Dude, before Bethesda stepped in, the Fallout games were cult classics. That means their fanbase was relatively small and diehard. You can't argue with people like that, so don't bother. I enjoyed the original Fallout games, despite admitting that even I found the battle system to be a little clunky, but I love Fallout 3 and I think Beth did a great job. They obviously put a lot of love and hard work into making it accessible to a new generation, and tried their best to keep to its roots as much as possible for the already established fanbase. At least the general consensus of critics is "Oblivion with guns", and not "Halo with Super Mutants", or somthing awfully derivative like that.

OT: I'm not too familiar with the politics of the case, but if Interplay had an agreement that they violated then Bethesda was in the right. Even if Interplay retain the rights to make the MMO, are they even going to have the funding they need to complete it? Do they expect Bethesda to cough up now just so the MMO can be made? Even if they continue with the project, I doubt it will see the light of day for a long, long time.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Amnestic said:
Yog Sothoth said:
I'm surprised. I knew Interplay were full time fuck-ups, but that just takes the biscuit and craps on it.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Bad Cluster said:
Rayjay06 said:

It is a good idea to always speak for yourself, unless you are some kind of a politician.
Also it wold be nice for you to be so kind and describe what is the difference between a modern gamer and the rest them shady types?
I'm confused, sorry.
The shady sort require you to sacrifice a puppie to join their ranks. Anywho, I have to sadly shake my head at the people who seem to think Fallout 1/2 where somehow perfect and Fallout 3 is the evil spawn of satan. Ok, Fallout 3 has bugs and problems, but so does Fallout 1/2, as well as a host of bugs the retards at Interplay never bothered to fix (And a 'delightful' 'fix' to the European edition which included invisible talking stealing kids) because they never gave a shit about the customer and where just lucky to create Fallout 1/2 as good as they did.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Doug said:
Bad Cluster said:
Rayjay06 said:

I'm confused, sorry.
The shady sort require you to sacrifice a puppie to join their ranks. Anywho, I have to sadly shake my head at the people who seem to think Fallout 1/2 where somehow perfect and Fallout 3 is the evil spawn of satan. Ok, Fallout 3 has bugs and problems, but so does Fallout 1/2, as well as a host of bugs the retards at Interplay never bothered to fix (And a 'delightful' 'fix' to the European edition which included invisible talking stealing kids) because they never gave a shit about the customer and where just lucky to create Fallout 1/2 as good as they did.
i THINK... my caps lock is on.

I think that the team Black Isle genuinly cared about the games. And I know for a fact that Bethesda did. Soo it's a pretty dicy distnction to make. That Interplay didn't care about the quality of material they were putting out, that was much less forgivable.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Oh dear god yes, there's still hope for another good Fallout! I'm so damn happy! :)
Apart from Interplay breaking the law to make it. You can't sell the rights to your game then pretend you had it all along and continue with it.

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
I'm unsure really what's going on. I thought some V13 shots had recently been released?

Bethesda made a game different to Fallout 1/2, that's true. But they updated the IP and brought it to a new audience, so surely that's good? People have been going back and buying things like Fallout Trilogy so they can experience the originals - that's got to be good for Interplay, hasn't it?

I think they need to confess and say they regret selling it, and I would bet the reason is that Bethesda have revived the series and made a killing from it - one Interplay may not have made themselves.

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Doug said:
Bad Cluster said:
Rayjay06 said:
snip
I see, how about kittens or bunnies? Don't tell me I've been sacrificing it wrong.