Judge Denies Bethesda Fallout Injunction

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
I really respected the old Interplay that gave us such great titles like the entire Baldur's Gate series. Bioware is what it is because of Interplay. We also had some epic Blizzard productions from Interplay in Rock'n'Roll Racing and Lost Vikings. Then there's Battle Chess, Carmageddon, Decent, MDK, Another World, Alone in the Dark etc...

They did end up producing some terrible bombs that should never have been released (RLH anyone?) but without Interplay there are so many pillars of gaming that would never have existed. There's always hope that the next Interplay game is something that redefines the boundaries of awesome gaming. Just gotta hold you nose while the stinkers drop past and pray for gold.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Catkid906 said:
Judge Deborah K. Chasanow: I have decided that this court case is silly and I have no idea why we are doing this. Now if you don't mind I have to cash in this Cheque and retire early.
Is it slander or libel when it's in print? Implying a judge has taken a bribe really isn't smart.

Crazycat690 said:
"Interplay fuck the game up"? Bethesda fucked fallout up!!! Fallout 3 isnt fallout!!! Its "Elder Scrolls: Apocalyptic Oblivion 2270"!
And? I like Oblivion and I love Fallout 3. One of the best RPG's I've played for the simple reason that the story is good and the exploration is fantastic. Yea, the quests could use some improvement, but being able to just enjoy the world they created is rather fun and more than makes up for it. Why quest when you can waste dudes anyway. =P

Doug said:
The only thing that bugged me about Fallout 3 was...well, it was supposedly 200 years since the nuke, and STILL looks like that? Bloody hell. Also, I wish there where more town hubs/populated areas. But overall, I think Fallout 3 was good; perhaps as good as Fallout 1/2 back in its day! There, I said it
It's a nuclear apocalypse. =P It would destroy all animal and human life, fk up the plants pretty well and in general leave it looking like a bomb had gone off. *shrugs* If it didn't look like it'd been nuked it would have sucked. =P

And for all those going on about a Fallout MMORPG, for one thing, it looks like Interplay will be developing it so...

For another, Fallen Earth (you know, that game with advertisements all over this site) looks like it does the nuclear apocalypse mmorpg rather well already. Haven't tried it yet as I don't have gaming net, just dodgy mobile broadband (technically just expensive dialup) but why do we need another?

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Live on Interplay, even if your games are horribly buggy, they're still far better then the travesty of Fallout 3.

jigs160

Oct 18, 2009
HG131 said:
tehroc said:
Fallout 3 is an atrocity and has NOTHING to do with either of the original (good) Fallouts. Fact is without the IP Bethesda wouldnt even gotten a fraction of the sales. All in all Fallout 3 should have been an original IP.
Odd, I've seen 2 NMO people now...

Psychosocial said:
Oh dear god yes, there's still hope for another good Fallout! I'm so damn happy! :)
This is getting weird...

Slider2k said:
Fallout Trilogy existed long before F3. And the art/style of latter resembles art/style of first games, not the other way around. Fallout Trilogy is better than F3 anyway. So Beth, STFU!

Bethesda is bullying. And that out of the way, i wish that Interplay make a good MMO. Although many people that contributed to making first games are no longer in Interplay, i think they should have a chance. I have no respect towards Beth for re-skinning Oblivion with Fallout universe - I don't like thier vision. Maybe Interplay would do better.
Ok, I'm starting to panic...

Nightzirk said:
Crazycat690 said:
"Interplay fuck the game up"? Bethesda fucked fallout up!!! Fallout 3 isnt fallout!!! Its "Elder Scrolls: Apocalyptic Oblivion 2270"!
Indeed, good sir, indeed.
DEAR GOD! WE HAVE A NMO INFESTATION! QUICK, GET THE BANHAMMERS AND FIRE EXTINGUISHERS (TO STOP THEIR FLAMING)!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically, Fallout 3 > 1/2, and that's the bottom line.
OMG GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!1

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
Crazycat690 said:
*Plays you the worlds smallest violin*
If fallout 1-2 are so grand... why aren't they rich upon releasing the "Trilogy"?
Why are they trying to ride bethesda's coattails to fame?
Why is fanboys only complaint the playstyle and minor lore?
Why did interplay fail so badly at funding the original fallout 3 project if they were so awesome?

Basically, you are like a Boston Red Sox fan when they won their first world series after 86 years! AND THEN went on to claim they are the best.... despite losing badly for 86 years XD

bradley348

Apr 17, 2009
i love beth software, all power to em i say.

cant wait for TES 5, even if Fallout 3 is basically TES 5 just with guns ^_^

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
bradley348 said:
i love beth software, all power to em i say.

cant wait for TES 5, even if Fallout 3 is basically TES 5 just with guns ^_^
But ya know.. what the hell did fallout fanboys expect honestly? It's BETHESDA! The company whose true call to fame is the elderscrolls series. What? Did they expect Bethesda to take a well known franchise, and delve into a game style they have no experience with and risk losing a large investment and putting out a shat game just to appease the 12 fanboys out there who can't let go of purism?

Heck, I am somewhat of a trekkie, and I at least give Star Trek the credit it deserves for being an amazing Sci-Fi movie. My only complaint is it is not lore friendly and feels like it could have been called anything else. But how does it stack to previous licensed franchise movies? Honestly, it blows them out of the water. I can't wait to see if the same guy makes us more movies as great as this one.

If you can't look past lore rape... you really are going to have a very sad life fans.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wait, Bethesda thought that FALLOUT TRILOGY(with nothing but screen shots of the previous games as well as a complete description of what was inside) would cause people do think they were getting FALLOUT 3?

Wow, thanks for assuming we are all inherent retards Bethesda. I mean, humanity as a whole is, but those of us who have to work PC's at least know how to read....if not exactly how to spell.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
another derailed thread of Fallout filled with fans of the old games...

damn guys, do you love the game?, the franchize?, the producers?

I played the other 2 after playing the 3rd... frankly didn´t liked them, I have seing better RPG´s out there and the new one actually places it in a more fun enviroment

I don´t see the point in saying "the old games are better" because they are not, they can´t be, purely on graphics, game play, mechanics and presentation they are out dated and well, old.

you loved the games, ok! nice, cool, but in the end they are old!, the new "twist" in the franchize was well made and really fun to play, how can you compare it to a game that needs a few hours to figure out what to do before you can even kill a rat?? (without reading the manual), "it is a copy of oblivion" well... this could be argued to the death, but I dont see any kind of resemblace besides probably the engine it was built in, the story is different, the settings are different, the game play is different aside from the RPG stile of conversation but what could you expect from an rpg game??

I don´t think they "fu#$ed up" the franchize, they just changed it to appeal to other people and it worked!, whats the problem with that?

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Bethesda, tell me, is that a juicy and tasty hand you're biting, there? Do you know it was just trying to feed you?

It makes me laugh hard enough that you paid 6 million dollars to buy a license so you could basically take Oblivion and replace the high fantasy setting with a post-apocalyptic one. You created the world's most expensive mod and now you're angry because the guys you bought the rights from want to USE THE MONEY YOU GAVE THEM to get back on their feet? Yahtzee was wrong; 3D Realms isn't staffed by howler monkeys, you are.

For this reason, I will never buy a Bethesda game (the litigation, not the howler monkey thing), and any that I might have will be burned. Contract or no, these are some pretty dubious business ethics in action. Sure, I can see how the Fallout compilation might be misleading... if I had the intellectual prowess of an ice cube and a capacity for abstract thought easily trumped by a lump of plankton. Seriously, Bethesda, do you think the gaming public is so monstrously stupid that we'd be confused by a compilation package made by one studio and a crummy Oblivion mod made by another?

If I ever meet this judge who denied the injunction, I'm buying her a drink.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Amnestic said:
I can understand the Fallout Trilogy thing, though I would hope anyone that was buying it would at least look at what they were buying before getting it rung up.

And yeah, it does seem that Interplay violated the contractual obligation to the Fallout MMO as well.

"Undisclosed reasons"? How does that help me, Joe Nobody, form an opinion to express to the internets? Shocking that they didn't take me into account when deciding this.
From the amount of research I've done on the topic the contract stated Interplay had the rights to create a Fallout MMO and were to provide evidence that they were working on it within a specific amount of time which they did and Bethesda still pulled the rights. So wait. Who's the bad guy here?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Starke said:
Doug said:
Nah, don't worry about the ranting, I've seen the same shit on NMA. "OMG, they dared move out of the grey/brown colour set, ITS NOT A FALLOUT GAME!!!!!!!"

*sigh* there's just no pleasing some people. They want the same game with a better UI, and thats it. I see some of the same thing with the Deus Ex crowd (though not to the same degree, and frankly, DE 2 really wasn't as good as DE (1) - even Warren Spector said so in the post-release analysis of the project).

Now, I want a good Deus Ex game in DE 3, but I don't think it needs to slavishly copy DE1 to be good.
Deus Ex 2 was certainly a massive letdown after the original. I mean, I'm getting off topic, but I still don't know what the hell happened there. And I don't really believe that it was "dumbed down for the XBox."
True, lets not get too far off topic ;) If you're interested, there's a post-mortem analysis by Harvey Smith (I think he was a major designer on the project) where he looks over what they did right and what they did wrong; it was very interesting actually. I think the key point where it went wrong was he listened to his friends opinions of DE1 instead of the fans, and ended up pleasing neither. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIdYl2oN74

Anywho, I'm mildly hopeful that DE3 will at least be passable. But I think that even if Eidos make a fantasticly great game, the DE1 fans will still moan; for example, alot of them are whining about regenerative health in DE3 already, heh.

Thats the point I'm trying to get at; some fans will never be happy ;)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Cyberjester said:
Doug said:
The only thing that bugged me about Fallout 3 was...well, it was supposedly 200 years since the nuke, and STILL looks like that? Bloody hell. Also, I wish there where more town hubs/populated areas. But overall, I think Fallout 3 was good; perhaps as good as Fallout 1/2 back in its day! There, I said it
It's a nuclear apocalypse. =P It would destroy all animal and human life, fk up the plants pretty well and in general leave it looking like a bomb had gone off. *shrugs* If it didn't look like it'd been nuked it would have sucked. =P
Well, yeah, but this is Fallout, not the real world ;) In the real world, radiation is so dangerous, we can't have nuclear powered robots/cars/household applicance ;) In Fallout, too much radiation simply turns you into a ghoul!

I guess I would have just liked alittle more colour and a few more towns is all.

Slider2k

Oct 23, 2009
Acidwell said:
It is the first games. Have you played them recently? They have extremely bad graphics, the combat system is fairly dated and the time limit on the first game is just stupid.
I'm afraid that if i play FO2 i'd be pulled in again. Anyway, more important is that anyone who DIDN'T play early classics most definetly SHOULD. What matters about graphics in games is art direction and not technology. First Fallouts had great art direction and have great 2D graphics. Starcraft, Diablo of that time had comparable graphics and are still played by a lot of people. All-in-all first Fallouts are timeless classics (my preffered is FO2).

Acidwell said:
Bethesda aren't bullying them, interplay have an agreement that states they have to have the fallout mmo released by 2011 with development started in 2010 or they lose the licence, interplay have just got out of debt and still need a lot of money to make the mmo.
Also none of the people who made the first games are in interplay they fired them all in 2003 and 1, maybe 2 of them might be working on the fallout mmo
Could you be just posting unproved or made up information? (Links?) No grand MMO could be made in a period of ONE YEAR. That restriction is just laughable.

Fallout universe is a cash cow for Bethesda. But Fallout MMO by Interplay of today could pretty well turn out a piece of shit. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Doug said:
Cyberjester said:
Doug said:
Well, yeah, but this is Fallout, not the real world ;) In the real world, radiation is so dangerous, we can't have nuclear powered robots/cars/household applicance ;) In Fallout, too much radiation simply turns you into a ghoul!

I guess I would have just liked alittle more colour and a few more towns is all.
But we do have nuclear powered household appliances. Granted, it's taken from a station instead of having the nuclear plant inside the actual item, but still.. lol

They're working on shrinking nuclear power plants and creating fields which shield people from the nuclear runoff. Not sure how they're going tho.

Yea, a few more towns would have been nice. The game is kinda bare when you consider how big the map is. Do any more get added in with the expansion packs?

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Crazycat690 said:
ZOMG! Taking Fallout from a topdown tactics game to a first person shooter/RPG! The horror! The humanity! The... wait... actually, that was a good idea. Too bad the writing wasn't up to the old fallout standard, but otherwise, Fallout 3 was an improvement over 1, 2 and tactics in every conceivable way. I should know, I spent many days of my life on the first 3 and loved them.

As far as interplay vs. bethesda making mmo on the fallout universe, I couldn't care less. MMO's are boring. I'd much rather be the main character than one of a million.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
matsugawa said:
You created the world's most expensive mod
o.0

CS:S, TF2, L4D... The list goes on. The most popular games in the world happen to be mods. If you include games that are built on the same engine, then 90%+ of games are mere mods. Saying Bethsada built the most expensive one is giving them way too much credit. =P