Judge Denies Bethesda Fallout Injunction

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Cyberjester said:
Doug said:
Cyberjester said:
Doug said:
The only thing that bugged me about Fallout 3 was...well, it was supposedly 200 years since the nuke, and STILL looks like that? Bloody hell. Also, I wish there where more town hubs/populated areas. But overall, I think Fallout 3 was good; perhaps as good as Fallout 1/2 back in its day! There, I said it
It's a nuclear apocalypse. =P It would destroy all animal and human life, fk up the plants pretty well and in general leave it looking like a bomb had gone off. *shrugs* If it didn't look like it'd been nuked it would have sucked. =P
Well, yeah, but this is Fallout, not the real world ;) In the real world, radiation is so dangerous, we can't have nuclear powered robots/cars/household applicance ;) In Fallout, too much radiation simply turns you into a ghoul!

I guess I would have just liked alittle more colour and a few more towns is all.
But we do have nuclear powered household appliances. Granted, it's taken from a station instead of having the nuclear plant inside the actual item, but still.. lol

They're working on shrinking nuclear power plants and creating fields which shield people from the nuclear runoff. Not sure how they're going tho.

Yea, a few more towns would have been nice. The game is kinda bare when you consider how big the map is. Do any more get added in with the expansion packs?
I've played through most of the DLCs, just not gotten around to Broken Steel yet. But mainly, no. They do have a few new areas, but those are off the main map and effectively in their own boxes.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Bethesda learns the valuable lesson of "video games don't just make themselves they take effort." by forgetting that even though they bought the rights to the game to make Fallout 3 they confusedly forgot they weren't Blizzard Entertainment. MMOs are hard work, folks.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Neither have the ways or the means to make a decent Fallout MMO.

Bethesda games are simply too buggy. Blizzard has shown that what you need to create a great MMO is not only a decent base model of a game, but a fuck load of polish. Which is something the Bethesda simply can't do.

As for Interplay...well, it's basically a ghoul by now. Living, but only just. And it impervious to radiation...wait, forget that part.

Until Bethesba show me a game where people don't just randomly jump 15 hundred feet into the air, gore doesn't float, and I'm not killed by a door, or Interplay get some actual money coming in, or the rights somehow get transported to someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to MMOs, Fallout MMO should remain an idea for the future...maybe.

WhiteTiger225

Aug 6, 2009
SomeBritishDude said:

Bethesda games are simply too buggy. Blizzard has shown that what you need to create a great MMO is not only a decent base model of a game, but a fuck load of polish. Which is something the Bethesda simply can't do.

As for Interplay...well, it's basically a ghoul by now. Living, but only just. And it impervious to radiation...wait, forget that part.

Until Bethesba show me a game where people don't just randomly jump 15 hundred feet into the air, gore doesn't float, and I'm not killed by a door, or Interplay get some actual money coming in, or the rights somehow get transported to someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to MMOs, Fallout MMO should remain an idea for the future...maybe.
Erm.. were you THERE when WoW started? It was a crap fest! Combat bugs, nalancing issues.. even today they still have to work out bugs, they still have to balance..

This kids, is an obvious fallout purist. A fanboy, if you will.

Bethesda had bugs, but most of which you mentioned were physics bugs from a licenesed physics engine they bought from someone else. So. Care to play again? :D

Interplay is so good.. that is why the original creators of fallout are fired.. fallout 3 epic failed and they had to sell the rights to get back into the black, and even now can't rally enough support to meet bethesda's purposefully near impossible demands..
Truly they are a great company when they fail at everything!~

And bugs? How about the numerous broken quests in fallout 1-2? How about the bugs in Fallout 1-2? And Fallout being oblivion with guns? How about fallout tactics having WWII german weapons and so forth? Isn't THAT lore breaking?

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
WhiteTiger225 said:
SomeBritishDude said:

Erm.. were you THERE when WoW started? It was a crap fest! Combat bugs, nalancing issues.. even today they still have to work out bugs, they still have to balance..

This kids, is an obvious fallout purist. A fanboy, if you will.

Bethesda had bugs, but most of which you mentioned were physics bugs from a licenesed physics engine they bought from someone else. So. Care to play again? :D

Interplay is so good.. that is why the original creators of fallout are fired.. fallout 3 epic failed and they had to sell the rights to get back into the black, and even now can't rally enough support to meet bethesda's purposefully near impossible demands..
Truly they are a great company when they fail at everything!~

And bugs? How about the numerous broken quests in fallout 1-2? How about the bugs in Fallout 1-2? And Fallout being oblivion with guns? How about fallout tactics having WWII german weapons and so forth? Isn't THAT lore breaking?
I haven't played Fallout 1, 2 or tactics so I wouldn't know. I wish to play them, but I can't find them so it's kind of difficult. I'm not sure you quite understand what I'm trying to say.

I loved Fallout 3. I bought 3 of the DLCs and I'm on my 4th play though right now. But do I think they have what it takes to create an MMO? No, I do not, and neither does Interplay. Maybe Fallout 1 and 2 where buggy too, I have no idea. What I do know is Interplay don't have much money, and you need a lot to keep and MMO running and clean it up (yes, WoW isn't perfect and has it's glitches and balance issues, but Blizzard have the time and money to keep fixing things).

Please don't get into a argument when you don't know what your talking about or who your talking to. It's just embarrassing and a waste of time for both of us.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
Cyberjester said:
matsugawa said:
You created the world's most expensive mod
o.0

CS:S, TF2, L4D... The list goes on. The most popular games in the world happen to be mods. If you include games that are built on the same engine, then 90%+ of games are mere mods. Saying Bethsada built the most expensive one is giving them way too much credit. =P
;P
Maybe, but bear in mind that Counter Strike was made by a pair of college students in their free time. In addition to that, Bethesda paid 6 million USD for the rights to Fallout alone. Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, and even Counter Strike may be mods, but they're also original properties. I don't see anything wrong with using an existing game engine, but it feels like Bethesda didn't even try to offer a different gameplay experience beyond superficial (apart from VATS), and they weren't even using an originally-produced sci-fi setting; instead, they borrowed an existing one to the tune of 7 figures. That's 7 figures that could have been spent developing a new game (yes, new IPs are scary to publishers, but we're talking about Bethesda, surely they've earned some clout by now) instead of making an obvious cash-in through name recognition.
There are some great mods out there, but the best ones are original IPs by a long shot.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
matsugawa said:
Cyberjester said:
matsugawa said:
You created the world's most expensive mod
o.0

CS:S, TF2, L4D... The list goes on. The most popular games in the world happen to be mods. If you include games that are built on the same engine, then 90%+ of games are mere mods. Saying Bethsada built the most expensive one is giving them way too much credit. =P
;P
Maybe, but bear in mind that Counter Strike was made by a pair of college students in their free time. In addition to that, Bethesda paid 6 million USD for the rights to Fallout alone. Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, and even Counter Strike may be mods, but they're also original properties. I don't see anything wrong with using an existing game engine, but it feels like Bethesda didn't even try to offer a different gameplay experience beyond superficial (apart from VATS), and they weren't even using an originally-produced sci-fi setting; instead, they borrowed an existing one to the tune of 7 figures. That's 7 figures that could have been spent developing a new game (yes, new IPs are scary to publishers, but we're talking about Bethesda, surely they've earned some clout by now) instead of making an obvious cash-in through name recognition.
There are some great mods out there, but the best ones are original IPs by a long shot.

Bethsada haven't earnt anything. They release some awesome RPG's, which people go on and on about how much they suck, then they try giving one of the best sci fi RPG's (according to other sites, I've never played them) the modern day treatment. For which they get slammed over how it's "Oblivion with guns".

Fallout 3 had decent graphics, ran well and was pretty fun so I see no point in protesting against the use of the Oblivion engine. Different gameplay experience.. How would you have done it differently? If they'd put it in 2D it would've sucked, if they'd dropped perks then there's no point in lvling.. Yes, they dumbed down the RPG system, it's a console game first, PC second. But it's still fun and different. You don't have Plasma weapons in Morrowind, even with mods. =P

There's no such thing as original IP nowadays. It's all remade from something else, taken from 2D to 3D, setting changed, weapons changed, etc. Can argue that L4D is just HL in a zombie apocalypse setting.

If you're looking for genuinely new and original games, give up. =P They're all the same which is why they're all so very easy.

Cyberjester

Oct 10, 2009
Doug said:
Cyberjester said:
Doug said:
Cyberjester said:
Doug said:
The only thing that bugged me about Fallout 3 was...well, it was supposedly 200 years since the nuke, and STILL looks like that? Bloody hell. Also, I wish there where more town hubs/populated areas. But overall, I think Fallout 3 was good; perhaps as good as Fallout 1/2 back in its day! There, I said it
It's a nuclear apocalypse. =P It would destroy all animal and human life, fk up the plants pretty well and in general leave it looking like a bomb had gone off. *shrugs* If it didn't look like it'd been nuked it would have sucked. =P
Well, yeah, but this is Fallout, not the real world ;) In the real world, radiation is so dangerous, we can't have nuclear powered robots/cars/household applicance ;) In Fallout, too much radiation simply turns you into a ghoul!

I guess I would have just liked alittle more colour and a few more towns is all.
But we do have nuclear powered household appliances. Granted, it's taken from a station instead of having the nuclear plant inside the actual item, but still.. lol

They're working on shrinking nuclear power plants and creating fields which shield people from the nuclear runoff. Not sure how they're going tho.

Yea, a few more towns would have been nice. The game is kinda bare when you consider how big the map is. Do any more get added in with the expansion packs?
I've played through most of the DLCs, just not gotten around to Broken Steel yet. But mainly, no. They do have a few new areas, but those are off the main map and effectively in their own boxes.
Aw, more like Morrowind then. Expansion packs add seperate areas, nothing to the main game. Oh well, could be worse. *thinks of L4D* lol