Judge Dredd Fan Film Might Hit Every Mark Stallone Missed

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Judge Dredd Fan Film Might Hit Every Mark Stallone Missed

We talked to the director of the upcoming Judge Minty and get the inside scoop on what sounds like an epic fan film.

Fans of Judge Dredd generally try to forget the <a href=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=judge+dredd&x=0&y=0&sprefix=judge+dredd&ih=6_4_0_0_0_0_0_0_0_1.53_126&fsc=3>1995 movie starring Sylvester Stallone for a number of reasons, the highlights being a terrible plot, clunky acting, and generally un-Dredd-like behavior from the film's main character. For me, the movie falls under the "so bad it's good" category, but a lot of die-hard fans of the comic really loathe it. While a new Dredd film starring Karl Urban <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd#New_film>is currently in the works, a recently-released teaser trailer for a fan film set in the same comic universe is gaining a lot of attention because it looks so good.

The film, Judge Minty, is set within the Dredd universe, but doesn't actually star everyone's favorite Street Judge from Mega-City One. Instead, <a href=http://www.judgeminty.com>according to the summary on the movie's website, it tells the story of Judge Minty, a lesser-known character from the comics:

"The film will be based on Judge Minty, a character created by John Wagner and Mick McMahon. An aging Judge who is forced to 'retire' from the streets, mainly it seems because he has become too compassionate.

"He chooses to take 'The Long Walk' into the Cursed Earth, there 'to take law to the lawless'. The film will be based around his first experiences in the radioactive wastes."

Steven Sterlacchini, Judge Minty's director, took some time out of his busy schedule to talk to The Escapist about his movie. He explained that Minty was chosen as the starring character because, "I've always loved the character. His story stood out at the time because it showed a Judge with feelings. I think the main reason [I like him so much] is that a number of issues are touched upon in Minty's story, which will be mirrored in Judge Dredd's life much later on: namely doubts about the 'justice' system and 'The Long Walk.' It's also interesting to see the contrast between the tough Clint Eastwood style of Dredd (at the time) and the more Henry Fonda style of Minty."

Fans of Judge Dredd himself are also in for a treat: A young Joe Dredd will make an appearance in the film, played by comic artist Greg Staples.

The movie began production in 2008, and principal filming started last December. According to Sterlacchini, he's hoping to have the final 20-minute film ready for release (and, thus, convention appearances) by the end of this year or, "early 2011."

That said, the trailer looks great in spite of the fact that it's largely composed of "unfinished" (meaning it hasn't been properly graded with the correct effects, CGI, or cuts) footage. I asked Sterlacchini about how he was able to achieve such a high-quality look when this is a self-funded, non-profit project. "The high standards are achieved because many of the key team members are professionals giving their time for free," he said. "We can't really have 'investors', because there would be no direct financial return for their money. 'Supporters' would - of course - be very welcome.

"We're all 2000 A.D. fans and it's a real team effort. Barry Renshaw has illustrated the story boards and numerous concept boards, and <a href=http://www.michaelowencarroll.com/qp/main.htm>Michael Carroll has worked with me on adapting the John Wagner story to the screen. We've all had creative input in the story and direction of the project.

"[I can't forget to mention] Edmund Dehn, who is perfect for the main roll of Judge Minty and has agreed to play the part at a reduced rate, as long as we can fit around his numerous other acting commitments. His presence on set has helped everyone raise their game to match his performance."

Sterlacchini even admitted to liking some parts of the 1995 movie, mainly tied to production work like the CGI for the city blocks, the ABC Warrior that Rico used, and Mean Angel's character design. Not only that, but, "Steve Green has even given a nod to the 'Hall of Justice' from the Stallone film in our project."

When asked about the upcoming Dredd movie, Sterlacchini was pretty enthusiastic, too. "As fans," he said, "we're all looking forward to the new official Dredd film. I think the fact that Judge Minty is likely to be a more direct comic book translation that focuses on a minor character instead of Dredd - and is mainly set in an alternative location - will allow us to produce something different.

"So hopefully we won't be completely overshadowed by what promises to be an excellent official film. Hopefully the increased Dredd interest will help us, and perhaps in our own little way we can add to that interest."

Based on Sterlacchini's responses, it feels like Judge Minty is meant to be both a film and a love letter to a subject that its production crew adores. Even though the imagery in the trailer isn't finished work, it looks great, and I personally can't wait to see the final product.

Feb 13, 2008
See, why can't Hollywood understand the idea of the fan-film? Then we wouldn't have to put up with the tripe they try to force-feed us. I'd hunt this film down like the Angel Gang if it were up around here.

Foolishman1776

Jul 4, 2009
This looks like an interesting project. I also have to wonder if perhaps some day Hollywood might start receiving competition from people like this.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
I'm just amazed by how good this looks. The quality is exquisite! How did a bunch of comic book fans make something that looks so professionally done? I'd love to see this whenever it comes out because this looks like something that a group a dedicated fans put all their love, blood, sweat, and tears into. Hollywood now looks like crap compared to the effort put into this. Well done!

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
This is really neat! I'm excited to see the finished product when it's completed.

Bladecatcher

Sep 1, 2009
I have to say I'm looking forward to this. My first (and only) introduction with Judge Dredd was that horrible movie, so I just assumed that the whole franchise was pretty crappy. But by the looks of this, I guess Hollywood just massively cocked it up. I cant wait to see where the series goes in the right hands.

Mandalore_15

Aug 12, 2009
Christ, Carl Urban is playing Dredd in the new Hollywood version? Those arseholes will never learn! The only guy that should play Dredd is Ron Perlman, he certainly has the CHIN for it...

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Mr.Tea said:
Wait, 3 years for a 20-minute film?
2, actually. December 2008-present. Not terrible considering that it's pretty high-quality and it's being made on a volunteer-like schedule.

oranger

May 27, 2008
vansau said:
Mr.Tea said:
2, actually. December 2008-present. Not terrible considering that it's pretty high-quality and it's being made on a volunteer-like schedule.
Yeah, I imagine its more like "Hey, we've got some stuff ready! lets all get together and make another scene or two."

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Now this looks interesting. I remember the original Judge Dredd film with Stallone, and I recall not minding it too much. Though this fan-made movie does indeed seem pretty hardcore ^~^!

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Gotta say its a bit to digital but if polished i'd tolerate it. But as of now I couldn't take the whole green screened look.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
vansau said:
Mr.Tea said:
Also without the budgets, the large amount of crews, or anything else that Hollywood can pump into there movies.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Guys, don't get too excited (almost wrote sexcited lol). Looking forward to this