Judge Pulls the Plug on LimeWire

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Take down the Limewire so people can think about using better programs!

*Suppourts. It was shit anyway.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Doesent Frostwire still exist? Either way, It doesent matter to me. So let the virus sespool i heard it is go down in smoke.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Oh well, stupid limewire gives you very many viruses when loading anyways.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
500 Million a month. Seriously, why is the RIAA so dang stupid? THat's probably more than the world spends on music each month, all things added up!

Is anyone else feeling like the primary model of the RIAA now is to simply try to extort possible 'piracy' companies for as much money as possible? Is this what happens when a big company suddenly finds itself obsolete?

I feel like Andrew Ryan, "Make a better product".

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Good. Although it does suck knowing that there are tons more sites out there just like and they'll probably never be able to shut them all down, at least they are trying.

Althocke said:
Also, before I get targeted, I only download stuff I wouldn't buy anyway. Just bought New Vegas when I could have easily torrented it (though with all the bugs I'm regretting it) where as I torrented Zoo Tycoon 2. Yes it's still illegal, but that's my justification for it.
Sorry but that's not justification. You're still no better than other pirates even though you buy some of your games. If you aren't going to pay for it, you shouldn't get to play it. That's how it works and even if your download wasn't a lost sale like so many companies immediately like to claim, you are still responsible for companies trying more and more draconian DRM in attempts to prevent you from illegally downloading their games for free.

In short, you're a part of the problem and you deserved to be targeted no matter what you weak justification is. Sure companies like EA and Ubisoft are also a part of the problem by making awful DRM, but they still have a right to protect their IPs from people like you and they wouldn't have had to in the first place if you had just not played something you didn't intend to pay for instead of downloading a free copy of it.

tl;dr - Even if you only pirate some stuff, you aren't any better than people who pirate everything. So don't act like you don't deserve to be targeted because you do.

ciortas1 said:
And no, piracy is not stealing
Yes it is: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal
See, it's very simple. Stealing means to take something wrongfully and/or without permission. Hey, guess what, you didn't have permission to download that copy of Super Awesome Fun Game from The Pirate Bay from the owners of that game, therefore you stole it. When are you thieves going to stop with that lame "it's not stealing" line? Anyone who can crack open a dictionary and/or use Google can see how damn wrong you are, so knock it off already.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
launching tomorrow: Orangewire! or maybe Grapefruitwire! (name to be decided!)

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I noticed this today when I opened it...I was sad...then I just googled the dubstep track I was after.
Anyway...does Frostwire still exist/work?

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
A: it might be 10 years old but its been at least 5 years since limewire rendered itself irrelevant with its rampant viri, spyware, malware, etc.

B: Most people who are pirating have long since moved onto other means.

C: Assuredly not all of it, but a very large portion of spyware comes from the same companys that complain about piracy. They use the tracking information as market research in order to help sell their producs. So perhaps these people who are crying foul might want to look at their own unsavory practices.

D: All these people who claim all this lost revenue Ive got a little bit of information for you. All these figures that you want to post about how much you loose due to piracy are blatant bullshit. Do you really think that for every one who pirates something that means they WILL pay money for it? Or is it infinitely more likely that they will simply do without it.

E: RIAA, please kindly STFU. Your profit margins are fine, and you have corrupted the music industry as a whole by producing shoddy out of touch material. If you hadnt created a bland generation of watered down music people would likely be infinitely more inclined to purchase what you produce. You screw over the artists who generate this money for you 100 fold more than piracy has ever or will ever do to you to the point that many artists are coming to understand that piracy doesnt hurt them, because they rarely if ever see money from record sales anyway.

Im not an advocate for piracy, but I am staunchly against rampant levels of bullshit. And I have no other words to describe trying to sue a poor to middle class mom being used as an example and beliving a few hundred songs meriting 1$ a piece is justification of a multi million dollar judgement levied against her that will NEVER be paid, one way or another.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Why do people still use this shitty virus filled program to get anything? All I hear from people with fucked computers (which I have to fix) is they use limewire and they got a virus.

Yingyangathena

Jul 25, 2009
Wow...good thing I dont use Limewire, but my cousin does...heh heh heh...be interested what else is going to pop up in Limewire's place.

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
But LimeWire and Gorton still face civil trouble from the Recording Industry Association of America [http://www.riaa.com/], which told the judge that LimeWire costs record labels about $500 million per month - that's right, $500 million per month - in lost revenue."
I'd like to see the maths behind this.

TheBluesader

Mar 9, 2008
Oh no! Now how will millions of starving children get the illegal Iron Man 2 copies they need to live?!

Oh wait. This is the Internet. They'll probably figure something out.

And by "they," I don't mean starving children. I mean affluent middle class Americans who are too lazy and cheap to fork over a relatively tiny amount every month or so for a movie or music.

Of course, I guess not all of them are just lazy and cheap. Some of them have come to think by this point that they are entitled to thousands of new songs every month, simply because they have the attention spans of gnats and think the rest of the world exists to please them for free whenever they demand it at the press of a button.

Don't get me wrong. I am certainly not siding with the RIAA here. I have a personal policy against ever siding with soulless vampires who rise from their golden crypts and fly down from their glimmering high-rise penthouses only to accuse mortals, who make a 200th of what they do a year, of stealing mythical sums of money they wouldn't be getting even if they were still selling wax cylinders with Edison's approval.

What I'm saying, here, is that when the opulently rich undead start gaming the courts until the latter order lazy, entitled wannabe-princes to stop stealing things that none of the parties involved should be claiming they have a right to, I just stand back and laugh at how thrillingly moronic absolutely everything is.

Because at the end of the day, I'd rather get my art directly from the artists who made it, and actually spend more than 3 minutes appreciating their hard creative work that I've just spent my hard-earned money for. Because, yes, I am better than everyone else.

And if I decide one week I'm not, there will always be virtually unknown Polish sites hosting streaming mp3s that I can "copy-embed" to my hard drive.

See, if you're gonna be a wannabe-prince, you gotta be suave about it...

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
People still use limewire is the punchline.
OT RIAA you just like throwing out numbers for the sake of numbers you're like the count from sesame street

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
I only came here because the real news was that Limewire, an artifact of news long ago, hit The Escapist. So I was curious. The news itself?

Has either of the two big supporters (for each side) of this long-going debate on piracy ever stop to realize that the other side ~may~ have a point at least in some way? Or are both still trying to play their self-righteous cards hard?

I'm actually in support of lowering prices (sometimes, CONSIDERABLY), laws hindering corporate bull and tricks, and in exchange, really nailing the pirates from then on and not just empty threats. Then, at least, the fair folks win, for a change. [/pun]

Or is life still too complicated for my ideas? ' -'

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
Oh wow, this would be big news if it were 5 years ago. Who the hell still used limewire, I may have learned about torrents pretty early but I was sure they were mainstream as hell these days.

The figures they came up with look like absolute bullshit as plenty of other people have said, but they obviously think scare tactics still have a chance to work.

There have been murder sentence charges that weren't as tough as some to do with piracy. Get this shit in perspective already.
mjc0961 said:
ciortas1 said:
And no, piracy is not stealing
Yes it is: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/steal
See, it's very simple. Stealing means to take something wrongfully and/or without permission. Hey, guess what, you didn't have permission to download that copy of Super Awesome Fun Game from The Pirate Bay from the owners of that game, therefore you stole it. When are you thieves going to stop with that lame "it's not stealing" line? Anyone who can crack open a dictionary and/or use Google can see how damn wrong you are, so knock it off already.
I think the reason some people disagree is because it really isn't black and white whether or not to copy = to take. Downloading is making a copy, not taking a copy. If you make a copy of something you're not taking anything physical anyway from them and they wouldn't have even noticed if it weren't for enough people doing it that they started to lose actual potential sales. And you can't say that's just semantics if were talking about a dictionary definition in the first place.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Quick question about a pirate's gold line of defense:

"It's not stealing since it's being copied, not taken away."

The big things that I wonder about is it wasn't 'copied', but was taken away from others who wanted to genuinely buy it, would that ~really~ stop a pirate from taking that download, or is it just a gold-line that pirates rely on to keep from being called 'thieves'?

And do pirates REALLY buy things when they'd 'buy it anyways', or is that just empty talk? ' -'

I know for a-FACT I'd be buying foreign music way more often if the darned prices weren't begging me to just take them online on a 1-second Google search. I'm also currently hesitating to get a $500 music program solely because they want me to pay 40 dollars for some shady, 3rd party USB 'doggle' that's meant to make sure I didn't pirate...my...purchase.

^ THAT, made me want to download the 30gig Symphonic Choir just to spite their practices. Not justifying, at all, but from a person who rather support the best than pirate, that is NOT how you get convince me to buy your product.

There, I just gave fodder for both sides. Argue away! Without trying to take a machete to my head. D<