Judge Takes Away Teen's Xbox

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Mighty Ireland Justice. I would say that all crimes should be treated like this, then I realized that this is basically "an eye for an eye" which doesn't work in all scenarios. Worked awesomely in this situation though.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Sougo said:
hmmm... seems like kid does the crime, and his xbox gets jailed for it! Seems pretty fair actually.

Vrach said:
Isn't there a clause in the American law that prevents "cruel and unusual punishment"? Seems to fit the bill for the latter.
Fortunately, contrary to popular belief in America, the rest of the world does not run on America's laws.

Also, I don't think theres anything 'cruel' about this, if anything its a lighter sentence given with the hope of straightening the kid out without handing him a scarring punishment.
Never said it was cruel, notice the "latter" part :)

And yeah, my bad assuming it was in the States, just figured it's them doing something like this :p

CaptainKoala

Elite Member
May 23, 2010
I love judges who are actually interested in helping the people they deal with instead of just sentencing them and moving on.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I now love Ireland more than ever.
LET'S CELEBRATE!
<youtube=QKIocZ3WbgE>

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
This works for me.

And despite what seems to be a popular belief, I'm pretty sure judges in America can do similar things to this. It really just depends on the court, the judge, and the crime. It's probably happens every so often in juvenile court (which is where I assume this is taking place). I'm pretty sure I've heard of judges implementing similar punishments to people in the states. Though they are few and far between. Like I imagine this kind of thing is in Ireland, too. Which is why it would be news worthy.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Austin Howe said:
Well, not sure if that would be allowed to happen in America. That's part of the reason I like it here. Even if they kept the Xbox, there'd be a debate.

But seriously, we abandoned "Eye for an eye" decades ago. I'm feeling kinda Ron Paul on this one: send him to jail, but let him keep his shit at home.
I do see your point there. Sliding scale of when something is "something of value to teach me a lesson" can leave a presidence that leads to "taking all your money away to deprive you of your ability to defend yourself."
People need to stop with this 'It sets a bad precedent' crap. It's in EVERY SINGLE NEWS THREAD. Metaphorically smacking some jerk upside the head because he's being an asshole isn't going to lead to some Orwellian nightmare future where nobody has any rights. Jeezus.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
imagine if he'd said 'i really appreciate the lack of alcohol in the house.'
but this is completely legal, because bail is freedom with bonds (usually money) as security that the defendant will return for trial. plus, he gets punished when he's on bail.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
Fair and just if you ask me. Though I don't see what is stopping him from buying another. He gets what he deserves, and there are thousands of ways to phrase that, but it's all the same. It would have been nice to see a video of him crying. (because for some sick, twisted reason I get pleasure from seeing children cry. Mostly when it's karma.)

bobmd13

Mar 28, 2010
Its actually Northern Ireland and therefore British Justice.

Here is the BBC link to the story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13964446

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH AHA... AHAHAHAHA AHA... AHAHA... Oh man, that's fucking funny. Hell, I agree with the sentence. Stupid kid. He deserves it.

n19h7m4r3

Sep 9, 2008
Excuse me, Belfast is in Northern Ireland not Ireland, which is short for the Republic of Ireland.

So it was the Brits that pulled out this sweet justice.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Wow, that's an interesting idea.

The thing that worries me is decisions like this can lead to more punishing and "crippling" ones. I mean, in this case, it strikes me as borderline brilliant. It's just the future of "creative" decisions that always bugs me.

Communist partisan

Jan 24, 2009
I support the 13 year old fella, robberies or just being a pure scum in society is fun. He can easily steal a new one so I think he got a way really smooth.

Electric_Sunshine

Jul 6, 2011
That was right for the judge to do, however I think Partisan has a point, the kid may just steal another one. Which is possible to happen since he appears to be ignorant/foolish and might not learn his lesson so quickly.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Khinjarsi said:
Interesting. Maybe this should be done more frequently? Not necessarily with Xboxs particularly. Hope the kid learns his lesson.
Actually, this should be done to everyone on this planet. That would solve a lot of problems.