Judging By The Cover: How Does Bloodborne Hold Up?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
How Does Bloodborne Hold Up?

Welcome to Judging By The Cover. Every week Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is going to examine a new cover. This week, Judging By The Cover looks at Bloodborne.

Watch Video

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Easily the funniest thing I've seen on the site. Not that the site has been depraved of hilarity, just that I really couldn't stop laughing as I watched this.

My sides hurt.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Great start to a new series, Mr Croshaw. I see you have adopted the cheeky cat emoticon, may it serve you well.

Nico4

Dec 24, 2008
Yahtzee correcting the text on the back of the box is probably the best thing I've seen all day

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Not to defend video game box art covers but here goes.

While the player is playing the game and moving the character forward, their back is to the player(most of the time, I would hope), so wouldn't that mean that the character on the box art is actually facing the right way, and the characters on covers like Battlefield and CoD, whose fronts are facing the viewer, facing the wrong way?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
A part of me wants to see an episode about Arkham Knight Wii U edition...but another part of me keeps stating that the only joke (that has been made multiple times I'm sure) is how the screenshots on the back were taken from a hypothetical Batman game on the Atari Lynx. As for this episode, I thought it was pretty good and am interested for more. Then again, I consume a lot of the videos Yahtzee puts out so I think I may be a little bit biased.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Sorry Yahtzee, but this was really, really dull.

I normally enjoy, listen to and watch everything you produce, but this wasn't entertaining.
It lacked wit.

But then again, for entertainment value, you had to go up against something amazing today.
A dev from Digital Homicide (Slaughtering Grounds dev) trying to push his insanity onto Jim Sterling in an "interview".
I think most entertainment would fail to shine when compared to that glorious, radiant turd!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Seeing Yahtzee going into full nitpick mode kept me smiling throughout, but, Yahtzee seemed really kind of bored at first which kind of to sap all the energy out of the video for me.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sounds a lot like he is on heavy painkillers for this recording. They can be quite addictive, Yahtzee. Take care!

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I don't think he was bored as such, more trying to affect a refined and dignified tone to match the music.
Seriously presented with chin stroking pontification for the high browed among us, all at a pace fitting with the intent of allowing us to fully absorb the artistic artyness of his artful artwork analysis.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Yahtzee the art connoisseur, a video series for the more highbrowed viewer. [sips brandy] Quite.
And I thought the guy on the front of the box was wearing a hat, not sporting Dilbert's boss's hair, which I now can't unsee. I got a real kick out of pointing out where the blurb on the back contradicts itself.

Jan 12, 2012
Dying_Jester said:
Not to defend video game box art covers but here goes.

While the player is playing the game and moving the character forward, their back is to the player(most of the time, I would hope), so wouldn't that mean that the character on the box art is actually facing the right way, and the characters on covers like Battlefield and CoD, whose fronts are facing the viewer, facing the wrong way?
But you're not supposed to play the game with the box art (the lack of a HUD and place to stick the controller are helpful hints). The box is supposed to showcase what the game is about, and it doesn't say much for the main character that the most interesting part of him is his back (or the rest of the game that said back is the most interesting visual they could possibly associate with it, Bum-City not withstanding).

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
JenSeven said:
Sorry Yahtzee, but this was really, really dull.

I normally enjoy, listen to and watch everything you produce, but this wasn't entertaining.
It lacked wit.

But then again, for entertainment value, you had to go up against something amazing today.
A dev from Digital Homicide (Slaughtering Grounds dev) trying to push his insanity onto Jim Sterling in an "interview".
I think most entertainment would fail to shine when compared to that glorious, radiant turd!
Hah cool, do you happen to have a link to that? I bet that's hilarious.

To the video, sorry, but not a fan.
Sarcastic nitpicking works brilliantly for the game themselves, but i can't really find any interest in it for covers. Yeah they're generic sometimes but i don't really see the point. It's not that Covers are that important to begin with, nitpicking something like this seems a bit weird. Additionally the slow narration does not fit well into the show. The "This is stupid, look how stupid it is" sort of criticism works pretty well for comedic purposes if it's done fast. With a slow narration it just makes you realize that there isn't really any point to a lot of the arguments.
Anyway, so that's my opinion on this first episode. Not really a fan, but some other people seem to have enjoyed it so that's good.

Edit: Having thought a bit more about it i think the reason ZP works so much better is that his criticism, while played for laughs and usually nitpicky, still has merrit and points out flaws in the game's logik and/or game mechanics. Here i just can't get myself to care that the protagonists arms are at a low angle or that he has his back to the viewer. Haha, i guess. It's not something that was objectively stupid to do, it was a concious design choice, and the fact that yathzee doesn't think it's original doesn't make that design choice in any way more humorous.. I personally think this would be a lot more entertaining with a lot more objectively bad covers were Yathzee points out the various design flaws.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'm genuinely wondering whether the pronunciation of "Bloodborne" in this video is meant to be a joke or not. Might have to revisit the Zero Punctuation and this video a few times o_o

Sonder Saunters

Oct 24, 2009
That music... oh God I'm having Evangelion flash backs! I can't deal with this right now!

Seriously though, just as hilarious as Yahtzee's ever been during his tenure on this site.

StreamerDarkly

Disciple of Trevor Philips
Jan 15, 2015
How dare you mock the saw cleaver? It's an ingenious weapon that lends itself perfectly to the short/long reach paradigm of the game. It has a nice transform attack and is coincidentally the weapon of choice.

As for the bluderbuss, is that a nail or a trigger?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Love the new show! Please don't cancel it, please don't cancel it, please don't cancel it, please don't cancel it...