Judging By The Cover: Judging Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Best JbtC so far. A masterpiece that justifies the whole somewhat lackluster series.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah I do agreed why that alien next to R2 D2 got in but not Luke? Also the cutting the poster in half made so much sense now!

Jan 12, 2012
As someone actively trying to avoid the whole movie hype, I have to ask: Do you think they're going to address that big iron thing Chewbacca has dangling from his bowcaster? It can't serve any practical purpose, unless it's his front door key and he chained it to his weapon so he wouldn't lose it. Or maybe instead of rabbit's feet, Wookies carry around railroad spikes for good luck.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
As someone actively trying to avoid the whole movie hype, I have to ask: Do you think they're going to address that big iron thing Chewbacca has dangling from his bowcaster? It can't serve any practical purpose, unless it's his front door key and he chained it to his weapon so he wouldn't lose it. Or maybe instead of rabbit's feet, Wookies carry around railroad spikes for good luck.
You mean the thing that looks like the sling he uses to hang the weapon over his back?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Good video!

Is there ANY chance the reason Luke didn't get in is because he's the guy in the mask?

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Tohron said:
Random nitpick: that chrome Stormtrooper leader is a woman.
Yeah but how are you suppose to know unless she talks or her name is thrown at you? Unless you're a die hard fan who's been following Force Awakens since it was announced, very unlikely you'd know that the character is a woman.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"There's no picture of Luke Skywalker!"

Heh, what if he was the villain in the mask, as a lame twist.

Oh God. Oh God, that could actually happen. That could actually be a thing that is real in the world right now.

*Remembers scene in trailer where the villain says he'll finish what Vader started. Starts crying*

Jan 12, 2012
Jadak said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
You mean the thing that looks like the sling he uses to hang the weapon over his back?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I laughed at the Stormtrooper copy-paste bit, and it's really on-point. Copy-pasting is kind of the Empire/First Order's whole thing, enforcing conformity and all that.

And where the deuce is Luke?! Before anyone says, I don't know HOW he could be Kylo Ren, the guy with cigar lighters on his lightsaber.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Fox12 said:

Oh God. Oh God, that could actually happen. That could actually be a thing that is real in the world right now.

*Remembers scene in trailer where the villain says he'll finish what Vader started. Starts crying*
Darth_Payn said:
I laughed at the Stormtrooper copy-paste bit, and it's really on-point. Copy-pasting is kind of the Empire/First Order's whole thing, enforcing conformity and all that.

And where the deuce is Luke?! Before anyone says, I don't know HOW he could be Kylo Ren, the guy with cigar lighters on his lightsaber.
There's almost certainly some kind of twist about Luke's identity. I don't see any other reason why they would beat us over the head with nostalgia for the rest of the cast, but completely conceal Luke. Something's up, and it had better not be anything as predictable as him being Kylo Ren.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Good video!

Is there ANY chance the reason Luke didn't get in is because he's the guy in the mask?
I'm convinced he is somewhere in the poster - more likely options currently are guy in the mask, or shiny stormtrooper at the bottom. I have no concept of how that would work but I figure it's more likely than him just not being in the poster. Clearly his presence in the film will be a twist of some kind.

Unless... any chance it's the rebel pilot next to Han? I don't recognise him and it's hard to tell with the helmet.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
FirstNameLastName said:
Fox12 said:

Darth_Payn said:

There's almost certainly some kind of twist about Luke's identity. I don't see any other reason why they would beat us over the head with nostalgia for the rest of the cast, but completely conceal Luke. Something's up, and it had better not be anything as predictable as him being Kylo Ren.
Rewatching the trailer, I'm convinced he is. With the bit about carrying on Vader's legacy, and with Han saying "all the stories are true." Heck, I just realized the red light saber is probably a really stupid symbol about Luke being Jesus, or something. There's also the possibility that Luke is preparing to fight some secret threat that nobody knows about. Maybe Vader (and the Emperor) knew something everyone else didn't. Like Paul, from the Dune series.

This isn't increasing my confidence.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Auron225 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Good video!

I'm convinced he is somewhere in the poster - more likely options currently are guy in the mask, or shiny stormtrooper at the bottom. I have no concept of how that would work but I figure it's more likely than him just not being in the poster. Clearly his presence in the film will be a twist of some kind.

Unless... any chance it's the rebel pilot next to Han? I don't recognise him and it's hard to tell with the helmet.
obviously luke got into an accident and was transformed into the hellspawned abomination that Yahtzee pointed out.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Fox12 said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Fox12 said:

Darth_Payn said:

Rewatching the trailer, I'm convinced he is. With the bit about carrying on Vader's legacy, and with Han saying "all the stories are true." Heck, I just realized the red light saber is probably a really stupid symbol about Luke being Jesus, or something. There's also the possibility that Luke is preparing to fight some secret threat that nobody knows about. Maybe Vader (and the Emperor) knew something everyone else didn't. Like Paul, from the Dune series.

You think we might get a yuhzahn vong movie arc if that is the case? Because, personally, a heavily modified Vong story arc might be exactly what the Star Wars movies need to stay fresh instead of just being jedi v sith all the time.

FirstNameLastName

Premium Fraud
Nov 6, 2014
Fox12 said:
FirstNameLastName said:
Fox12 said:

Darth_Payn said:

It could all be a clever red herring, but I'm not sure if I'll give them enough credit for something like that.
I'm aware that in another thread I said that Luke becoming the villain would be a decent story aspect, but not like this. He seems to be no where to be seen from the beginning, so it seems like a decent guess that he's already Kylo Ren before the movie starts, meaning, this could all just be the sake for a shallow twist.

I have to wonder whether they're trying to replicate the "I am your father" moment.

Captcha: Spoilers
How did you know?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Auron225 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Good video!

I gather the guy in the Rebel pilot outfit is Poe Dameron, played by Oscar Isaac (he's clearly shown in the first trailer). And I think the shiny stormtrooper is supposed to be a woman (Lupita Nyongo). Also, guy in the black mask is supposedly "Kylo Ren", played by Adam Driver. If there's some iffy twist regarding Luke's identity I guess it would be with this last character but I doubt it.