Judging By The Cover: Judging Star Wars: The Force Awakens

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
The green Gremlin looking thingy with the goggles latched to its forehead looks like a Micheal Bay-iesh CGI rendition of Psychonaut's Raz...

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
Fox12 said:
"There's no picture of Luke Skywalker!"

Heh, what if he was the villain in the mask, as a lame twist.

Oh God. Oh God, that could actually happen. That could actually be a thing that is real in the world right now.

*Remembers scene in trailer where the villain says he'll finish what Vader started. Starts crying*
Darth_Payn said:
And where the deuce is Luke?! Before anyone says, I don't know HOW he could be Kylo Ren, the guy with cigar lighters on his lightsaber.
Remember that this film is being directed the same person who thought Star Trek Into Darkness's main twist would be shocking and original...

I hope I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong. But Kylo Ren does seem to have a robotic right hand... Like someone else that we know...

And... Oh no. His name. Take the initials, KR, and +1 to each of them. You get LS. *Weeps* (Okay, yeah, that's a really flimsy piece of evidence, but it doesn't mean that I can't see Abrams pulling this...)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
vallorn said:
Fox12 said:
Fox12 said:
"There's no picture of Luke Skywalker!"

Heh, what if he was the villain in the mask, as a lame twist.

Oh God. Oh God, that could actually happen. That could actually be a thing that is real in the world right now.

*Remembers scene in trailer where the villain says he'll finish what Vader started. Starts crying*
Darth_Payn said:
I laughed at the Stormtrooper copy-paste bit, and it's really on-point. Copy-pasting is kind of the Empire/First Order's whole thing, enforcing conformity and all that.

And where the deuce is Luke?! Before anyone says, I don't know HOW he could be Kylo Ren, the guy with cigar lighters on his lightsaber.
There's almost certainly some kind of twist about Luke's identity. I don't see any other reason why they would beat us over the head with nostalgia for the rest of the cast, but completely conceal Luke. Something's up, and it had better not be anything as predictable as him being Kylo Ren.
Rewatching the trailer, I'm convinced he is. With the bit about carrying on Vader's legacy, and with Han saying "all the stories are true." Heck, I just realized the red light saber is probably a really stupid symbol about Luke being Jesus, or something. There's also the possibility that Luke is preparing to fight some secret threat that nobody knows about. Maybe Vader (and the Emperor) knew something everyone else didn't. Like Paul, from the Dune series.

This isn't increasing my confidence.
You think we might get a yuhzahn vong movie arc if that is the case? Because, personally, a heavily modified Vong story arc might be exactly what the Star Wars movies need to stay fresh instead of just being jedi v sith all the time.[/quote]

I'm hoping it's something along those lines. If Luke just turned to the Dark Side needlessly then I would be very disappointed. A "greater threat" story arc could, at least, be interesting. They really need something to turn this series on its head. Maybe remove the simplicity of the "good vs. evil" dichotomy. If they just rehash A New Hope then I don't even see the point of the new films.

I think there's potential. My only question is how they justify Luke joining The Empire. You'd think he could accomplish the same goals with the Rebel's
The_Darkness said:
Remember that this film is being directed the same person who thought Star Trek Into Darkness's main twist would be shocking and original...

And... Oh no. His name. Take the initials, KR, and +1 to each of them. You get LS. *Weeps* (Okay, yeah, that's a really flimsy piece of evidence, but it doesn't mean that I can't see Abrams pulling this...)
This is my main concern. We know Abram's did major rewrites, and one of the original trilogy screen writers left the project after disagreeing with hi. I have faith in a Star Wars project, but I have no faith in Abrams.

The sad thing is that your last post is probably right. That seems like the sort of thing he would think is clever. But maybe we'll get lucky, and it was Kyle Katarn the whole time!

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Vasto said:
"Chewbacca has finally had enough of C-3PO's shit." It was at this point I promptly lost my shit. I love this show.
Really, that was good but every time he came up with a new description for the little goggled alien blighter I ended up bursting out in giggles. That thing is hideous and I'm still confused as to how it got off the art design department's desk.

We can only hope that the lens flair from his goggles obscures the hideous monstrosity that is the rest of his character design...

A.K.B. said:
The green Gremlin looking thingy with the goggles latched to its forehead looks like a Micheal Bay-iesh CGI rendition of Psychonaut's Raz...
Oh god... Now I'm imagining the rest of that movie. Please, make it stop, let this nightmare end!

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Flatfrog said:
Best JbtC so far. A masterpiece that justifies the whole somewhat lackluster series.
I attribute a bit of that excellence to a culmination of the "copy-paste" moments of the series. As a fan of it all, I only found two or three episodes to be lackluster, perhaps since they were almost all about character designs.

Apr 17, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
I gather the guy in the Rebel pilot outfit is Poe Dameron, played by Oscar Isaac (he's clearly shown in the first trailer). And I think the shiny stormtrooper is supposed to be a woman (Lupita Nyongo). Also, guy in the black mask is supposedly "Kylo Ren", played by Adam Driver. If there's some iffy twist regarding Luke's identity I guess it would be with this last character but I doubt it.
Shiny Stormtrooper (Captain Phasma) is actually Gwendoline Christie, aka Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones. Yes, she's got another role where she gets to play a badass in armour, but this time IN SPAAAAAAAAAACE!

As for missing Luke, I've got a thought that its just because he won't end up being in the film much. Like, maybe he'll appear just in the very end scenes to deliver some "and now your fight has only just begun" type dialogue

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I logged in after maybe 6 months away from this site just for this thread:

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2015/05/Adam-Driver.jpg

That, ladies and gentlemen, is Kylo Ren.

As for Luke not being in the poster, this is supposedly him:

http://download.gamezone.com/uploads/image/data/1189177/Luke_Skywalker_The_Force_Awakens.jpg

Sorry, my inner fanboy got the better of me.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
You know, Yahtzee's idea for a poster looks a lot better... maybe they could take his advice for the next film's poster? Something different in the posters would be nice, they've been pretty samey for the last few movies.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
Yeah I do agreed why that alien next to R2 D2 got in but not Luke? Also the cutting the poster in half made so much sense now!
Well, as soon as Yahtzee pointed out that Luke wasn't on the poster even though Mark Hamill has second billing, it instantly confirmed my #1 suspicion about the film:

He's the Sith dude in the mask with the stupid branching lightsaber. The fact that he's gone to the Dark Side between trilogies is apparently supposed to be a big shocking twist reveal, but they've been a bit too fucking obvious with it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
A.K.B. said:
My very thought!

Maybe it's Luke, the light side of the force warping his face as the dark side did Palpatine's in Episode 3?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Starforce awakens wars?
I knew that Starforce was bad even for DRM, but was it really that bad?