Judging By The Cover: Judging The Martian

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Cracked up when you replaced his head with the dogs, and it does make for more suitable advertising. lol

Jan 12, 2012
He just looks so bored in these posters. I read the book, and if there's one thing Watney was not, it was bored and mildly put out by having to survive in a red wasteland utterly hostile to human life.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
So bringing puppy dogs home is only for ladies and gay men? Or did you only mean puppy dogs named Matt Damon?

Tanneseph

May 2, 2011
I love this feature so hard. These days, I love it harder than ZP, even. I was a wee bit sad (and hitting Refresh a lot) when it didn't appear last week.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
For some reason, that joke about Matt Damon having the emotional range of a rotisserie chicken made me laugh so hard it startled my family.

Possibly the reason is that it was funny.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Thunderous Cacophony said:
He just looks so bored in these posters. I read the book, and if there's one thing Watney was not, it was bored and mildly put out by having to survive in a red wasteland utterly hostile to human life.
The movie is quite mild-mannered and casual about Watney's predicament, I though.

Jan 12, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
The movie is quite mild-mannered and casual about Watney's predicament, I though.
Going to see it tomorrow (Canadian Thanksgiving means I can force the family to indulge Dad's sci-fi obsession) so I'll keep that in mind.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Johnny Novgorod said:
The movie is quite mild-mannered and casual about Watney's predicament, I thought.
Going to see it tomorrow (Canadian Thanksgiving means I can force the family to indulge Dad's sci-fi obsession) so I'll keep that in mind.
Well, it's very entertaining, but to my taste a lot of the potential conflicts in the movie are usually forwarded by Watney saying "Fortunately..." and then explaining why it's not such a big deal.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
And with the emotional range of a rotating chicken a sweet chuckle escaped once again!

Well done! This series is just a ... series of great episode after great episode! :D

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I laughed the hardest at the hastily-thrown-in "and gay men!" bits, and the rotisserie chicken line. I think the spinny lines on Matt Damon's head on the second poster are supposed to evoke the poster of the Sam Rockwell movie, MOON.
Johnny Novgorod said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The movie is quite mild-mannered and casual about Watney's predicament, I thought.
Well, it's very entertaining, but to my taste a lot of the potential conflicts in the movie are usually forwarded by Watney saying "Fortunately..." and then explaining why it's not such a big deal.
IMO, that's because Watney is trying to stay calm and think through his problems while he's stuck on Mars, because that's one of the themes of the movie: science can save us. Also, we all need a little humor to make it through any unpleasant situation.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Darth_Payn said:
I laughed the hardest at the hastily-thrown-in "and gay men!" bits, and the rotisserie chicken line. I think the spinny lines on Matt Damon's head on the second poster are supposed to evoke the poster of the Sam Rockwell movie, MOON.
Johnny Novgorod said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
IMO, that's because Watney is trying to stay calm and think through his problems while he's stuck on Mars, because that's one of the themes of the movie: science can save us. Also, we all need a little humor to make it through any unpleasant situation.
Yeah but it does stifle the possibilities for actual conflict in the movie. An astronaut doing astronaut things isn't problematic, nor is a botanist doing botanist things. I thought Watney was in his element throughout the whole movie, which would've been more interesting (albeit probably shorter) had any of his crewmates taken his place instead.

Imagine the movie Cast Away if Tom Hanks' characters hadn't been some middle-management bureaucrat but a survivalist by trade.

You bring up Watney's humor, and fair enough, but that's all he seems to have. Flat character throughout the whole ordeal. He goes for "moderate optimism" surprisingly fast and stays in that key for the rest of the movie, except for maybe that one stormy scene.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
"a cigarette holder... Wait, that doesn't make any sense!"
*laughs* Oh, really, Yahtzee?
"He'd be holding the cigarette sideways!"
*laughs harder*

Seriously, other than the "and gay men!" parts, I thought that was the funniest, I didn't expect that hard left turn.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
"And gay men" is there something you want to tell us Yahtzee? I mean besides "Help! Gabe has fused into my couch as a symbiotic undead piece of furniture that belongs in the back of a car!"

(For those who don't get that, I pity you, now go watch Let's Drown Out on Yahtzee's youtube channel. It's worth it.)

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Isn't it obvious? Matt Damon is spinning about his head.
He is upside down right now, that why the red part of the red planet is at the top, rather than the bottom.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
I challenge I do when I watch this series is not to peak at the playbar. This is so the end of the video will always catches me off guard for maximum impact.

Maur DL

Boredom Slayer
Jul 8, 2009
I don't know if it's just me, but Yahtzee seems incredibly bored when he does these Judging segments...