Julian Assange is a prick.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Julian Assange is a prick. First of all, the guy EDIT: Is accussed of sexual assaulting two women and refuses to go to court (I first said he did sexually assault them), then he says some bullshit conspiracy theory about being charged in the us, and fucks off to Britain. He isn?t some kind vigilante freedom fighter, the guy just did something illegal and seems to think he?s above the law. Sweden has said explicitly that if he gets taken there they won?t send him to the US. If he?s innocent of sexual assault, then he should fucking go in a court and prove it.

Now all of you may agree with me (probably not?). But the guy gets celebrity endorsements, supporters in anonymous masks outside the embassy, and the help of Ecuador (who are fucking idiots by the way.) I don?t understand at all.

So yeah. Wikileaks is great. Julian Assange is a prick.

EDIT: nice link about misconceptions. Read it all. http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-myths-about-assange-extradition

Alternative

Jun 2, 2010
My favorite part about all the Julian Assange stuff is that the Australian government didnt know what the fuck to do about it. Having to decide to either suck up to America some more by selling out Assange or to provide sanctuary to a Australian citizen.

ArnRand

Mar 29, 2012
Matthew94 said:
They haven't proved he assaulted anyone. The case was dropped and only revived after wikileaks.

He is afraid of what the USA may do to him, they don't exactly play by the rules. Kim Dotcom and his doomsday device anyone?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/fbi-justifies-kim-dotcom-raid-on-purported-doomsday-device/

EDIT Sweden didn't say they wouldn't extradite him.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/sweden-unlikely-to-extradite-assange-oz-1.1367805#.UDTRVNZlRWQ

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was unlikely to be extradited from Sweden to the United States if there was a risk of the death penalty or a military court, Australia's foreign minister said on Wednesday.
There is still plenty they could do to him.
The case was dropped, but it was revived in an unrelated incedent to wikileaks: 'The warrant was subsequently re-issued by another Swedish Chief Prosecutor Marianne Ny on 1 September 2010 who considered that the allegations could be classed as rape after all ' That's from wikipedia.

The diplomatic cables were released in november 2010, so the biggest contrevsy of wikileaks was after the assault stuff.

As for the extradition. Yes, we don't absolutely know that Sweden won't send him to the us, but we can be pretty sure based on this that I found:

'Stockholm has received no extradition request from Washington and Swedish law and the European human rights convention ratified by Sweden ban the extradition of a person to a country where they could face the death penalty.

Washington has said it has had nothing to do with efforts by Britain to extradite Assange to Sweden, and Tuesday denied Assange?s ?wild assertions? it had launched a witch-hunt for him.'

That's from here: http://gulfnews.com/news/world/australia/sweden-unlikely-to-extradite-assange-to-us-1.1064531

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I agree. I really don't like Julian Assange, I disagree with what he did and hope they do manage to get him out of the embassy and extradite him to Sweden. He also just strikes me as being really arrogant and pretty much a complete and total dick, I really don't like him.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Assange is to me a good man, he did not assult those two women and he founded a website which finds faults in those with bad business morals.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
Assange is to me a good man, he did not assult those two women and he founded a website which finds faults in those with bad business morals. I do think he acts like dick according to his coworkers
We don't know whether or not he assaulted those two women because he's fleeing from an arrest warrant that would bring him to court to answer the charges.

I'm sick to death of the internet's love affair with their great hero of truth, who is himself fleeing from it and hiding so as not to fulfill a basic obligation of society.I know he thinks he's in the right because he sees a vast global conspiracy orchestrated by the US government to arrest him and try him for Wikileaks, but the thing is, I don't care about that. The situation he has built for himself there is entirely his own doing. It's the bed he's made.

I'm not interested in speculating (with no evidence personally on hand or presented yet in court) on whether or not the rape accusations reflect legit occurrences or not. I'm not interested in giving an ounce of credence to conspiracy theories. What I want to know is, how does the world not see this man for the coward he so clearly is?

He goes on to give speeches about Bradley Manning, citing the 'sacrifice' the soldier made in leaking that classified material, and the extended period of time he's spent locked up for his efforts, while Julian himself hides out of fear of facing the same hardships. A champion of truth who seems courageous so long as he's well out of the reach of any potential legitimate risk.

A truly brave man who really believed his own rhetoric would answer the charges. Face them in court and destroy them if they be false; I can't imagine he'd hurt for legal counsel. And if the US tries to nab him, so be it; there's legal challenges to that too. And if it's determined that such an arrest is in fact legal, than so be it. Being noble is about facing the consequences of your actions. How nice of him, though, that he is enough of a celebrity that he can offer himself up as a political game chip to Ecuador and stay out of reach of the Swedish prosecutor, so we may never know if he really is a rapist scumbag.

Well I can't say he's a rapist. But a scumbag? Almost certainly. If he actually stepped outside, faced the music, proved the rape charges unfounded, and then weathered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune with some aplomb and courage I would admire the man. But he's a sniveling coward and it drives me up a wall seeing him granted hero status by the internet.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Can you still find the wikileaked files on the web? I never cared enough to look for them at the time.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I can't stand the bloke... and it is good to see that others feel the same way...

I also massively disagreed with Wikileaks... I don't care if it was corperate stuff, but government stuff is kept out of the public eye for a reason... a lot of stuff that was on the Wikileaks site gave a lot of details about troops and capabilities that could put lives in danger...

Any one who puts people who he hasn't mets lives in danger, for his own agenda, deserves all he can get...

Also, he has the right to a fair trial before anything can happen... if he has been accused of something then he should face the music and go to court... He is now skipping bail, which is ilegal, and is proven, so needs to pay the price!

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I've always felt that Assange is an ass. He is one of those guy who just has an axe to grind and doesn't really care care about what the consequences of his actions may be. That said, I think that something is very fishy about the case suddenly being re-opened at the time that it was, its just too convenient to be pure chance.

wabbbit

Jun 15, 2011
I don't care if he is innocent or guilty. He is a colossal ass-hat. He loves the idea of leaking private information to the public, but when people leaked his things - I think it was his book if my memory is right? He went off on one! Hypocrite.

The stuff that wiki leaks "leaked" was never proven to be 100% legit and as someone else mentioned, some stuff is best kept out the public eye. The whole operation was a sham which gave unnecessary ammunition to the media.

Sites like that do more damage than good.

Amethyst Wind said:
Can you still find the wikileaked files on the web? I never cared enough to look for them at the time.
Yes, but I wouldn't trust them. There was scandal a few years back where people were editing the "leaked" BNP member list and adding normal members of the public on there along with their address'
Really, he should have been arrested for releasing that surely? Trying to cause social unrest and all that?

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Matthew94 said:
Sweden didn't say they wouldn't extradite him.
Legally, I don't think they can, because the US hasn't filed an extradition order yet. You can't give a legally binding response to an extradition request which hasn't been made, any promise to the effect that they wouldn't extradite him would just be empty words.

If he's a champion of freedom and human rights, you'd think he could maybe accept that his alleged victims have the freedom to make allegations against him, and a human right to have their case heard in a court. That's not to say he's guilty, although if he has actually done what is alleged (which he hasn't denied, simply postured about conspiracy theory bollocks) then he almost certainly is.

I honestly felt a sense of kinship with the British left-wing up until this point, but seeing how many of them are willing to suspend the basic principles of civil government because they like a guy's political views is just disgusting to see. Fuck anyone who still thinks this guy is worth their time. He's a walking insult to any good work he's done.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
I don't really have an opinion of his personality, but as to the "sex assault/rape" cases, I urge ppl to read up on it, Sweden's use of those terms is pretty mindblowing. The same cases would never see any charges laid in other countries.

JeffBergGold

Aug 3, 2012
A guy who advocates for transparency but is incredibly secretive about his personal life...

Yep, an idiot, hypocrite, and rapist all rolled into one. Not the kinda guy I can support personally.

He's a hero to a few though, I really can't understand why. Oh, and he's weak looking.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I don't care about Assange, but I do smile at his shenanigans. That embassy thing was hilarious.

GrandmaFunk said:
I don't really have an opinion of his personality, but as to the "sex assault/rape" cases, I urge ppl to read up on it, Sweden's use of those terms is pretty mindblowing. The same cases would never see any charges laid in other countries.
He hasn't been charged.

rednose1

Oct 11, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
itsthesheppy said:
Evil Smurf said:
Assange is to me a good man, he did not assult those two women and he founded a website which finds faults in those with bad business morals. I do think he acts like dick according to his coworkers
We don't know whether or not he assaulted those two women because he's fleeing from an arrest warrant that would bring him to court to answer the charges.

I'm sick to death of the internet's love affair with their great hero of truth, who is himself fleeing from it and hiding so as not to fulfill a basic obligation of society.I know he thinks he's in the right because he sees a vast global conspiracy orchestrated by the US government to arrest him and try him for Wikileaks, but the thing is, I don't care about that. The situation he has built for himself there is entirely his own doing. It's the bed he's made.

I'm not interested in speculating (with no evidence personally on hand or presented yet in court) on whether or not the rape accusations reflect legit occurrences or not. I'm not interested in giving an ounce of credence to conspiracy theories. What I want to know is, how does the world not see this man for the coward he so clearly is?

He goes on to give speeches about Bradley Manning, citing the 'sacrifice' the soldier made in leaking that classified material, and the extended period of time he's spent locked up for his efforts, while Julian himself hides out of fear of facing the same hardships. A champion of truth who seems courageous so long as he's well out of the reach of any potential legitimate risk.

A truly brave man who really believed his own rhetoric would answer the charges. Face them in court and destroy them if they be false; I can't imagine he'd hurt for legal counsel. And if the US tries to nab him, so be it; there's legal challenges to that too. And if it's determined that such an arrest is in fact legal, than so be it. Being noble is about facing the consequences of your actions. How nice of him, though, that he is enough of a celebrity that he can offer himself up as a political game chip to Ecuador and stay out of reach of the Swedish prosecutor, so we may never know if he really is a rapist scumbag.

Well I can't say he's a rapist. But a scumbag? Almost certainly. If he actually stepped outside, faced the music, proved the rape charges unfounded, and then weathered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune with some aplomb and courage I would admire the man. But he's a sniveling coward and it drives me up a wall seeing him granted hero status by the internet.

Can....can you read minds? This was everything I had thought about the whole deal, almost word by word. (even love the Shakespeare throw in, you don't see that much nowadays).

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
ArnRand said:
Matthew94 said:
They haven't proved he assaulted anyone. The case was dropped and only revived after wikileaks.

He is afraid of what the USA may do to him, they don't exactly play by the rules. Kim Dotcom and his doomsday device anyone?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/international/fbi-justifies-kim-dotcom-raid-on-purported-doomsday-device/

EDIT Sweden didn't say they wouldn't extradite him.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/world/sweden-unlikely-to-extradite-assange-oz-1.1367805#.UDTRVNZlRWQ

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was unlikely to be extradited from Sweden to the United States if there was a risk of the death penalty or a military court, Australia's foreign minister said on Wednesday.
There is still plenty they could do to him.
The case was dropped, but it was revived in an unrelated incedent to wikileaks: 'The warrant was subsequently re-issued by another Swedish Chief Prosecutor Marianne Ny on 1 September 2010 who considered that the allegations could be classed as rape after all ' That's from wikipedia.
It's very easy to say unrelated, but the insistence that the case should be revived with no new evidence so long after it had been dismissed surely warrants some suspiscion. Sweden has crazy rape laws, which further confuse it, as I understand it, it is possible to 'rape' someone who has given concent, meaning that the alledged crimes could actually be very trivial. The women originally wanted him to have an HIV test, suggesting they were worried about their health.
real source said:
Assange faces questioning over incidents with two women that involved a degree of consensual sex and other acts some critics say would not be called rape in other countries.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0822/world/sweden-furious-over-assanges-justice-criticisms-204888.html
The diplomatic cables were released in november 2010, so the biggest controversy of wikileaks was after the assault stuff.

As for the extradition. Yes, we don't absolutely know that Sweden won't send him to the us, but we can be pretty sure based on this that I found:

'Stockholm has received no extradition request from Washington and Swedish law and the European human rights convention ratified by Sweden ban the extradition of a person to a country where they could face the death penalty.
Yet the US has already had a 'secret' hearing for Julian Assange.
Washington has said it has had nothing to do with efforts by Britain to extradite Assange to Sweden, and Tuesday denied Assange?s ?wild assertions? it had launched a witch-hunt for him.'

That's from here: http://gulfnews.com/news/world/australia/sweden-unlikely-to-extradite-assange-to-us-1.1064531
Of course they'd deny publicly behaving in such an anti-freedom way. They also said that they were certain Iraq were hiding WMDs, that kim dotcom may have had a doomsday device etc.

Look, Assange should have to answer for his crimes, but I don't see any reason for sweden not to publically and officially commit to refusing any extradition attempt on him from the US.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I'm with you on this one.

Julian is an Asshat.

He may very well be innocent RE: alleged rape charges, but the fact he's running and hiding doesn't really amass him any credit, kudos or respect in my books.

I was pretty happy with/about Wikileaks when it was first announced and eventually popped up out of nowhere... then that 'collateral murder' video surfaced, and Julian Asshat told us all what we were to see in the video. No matter if you were there, no matter if you've seen it on the interwebs - One might see what Julian told us to see, one might also - without further intel - see other things, or see things differently. Julian Assange eventually took truthsaying in his own hands, and that pretty much was the beginning of the end of the Wikileaks I had high hopes for, and it pretty much blew up in the faces of the folks that worked on a better tomorrow. When Julian turned into a one-man infowars renegade, he burned pretty much all bridges with folks that were no less intelligent or motivated than him; any and all d0x of his deliberately chosen lonely path point to him being an extreme and utter twat, there's no nice words to describe what he did and what he'd become.

Also, the next big load of leaks was protected with a password that wasn't really hard or anywhere near the encryption or security levels one would expect. To spice things up, the supposedly redacted cable leaks contained plenty of individual names and data that put people at risk of torture, death, what have you. I am no longer impressed by anything Mr. Assange does, and I really wish for him to snap out of his James Bond Bourne Ultimatum trip and come crashing back to reality, where I have reason to believe he really belongs in court, both in Sweden and in the USA.

To be honest, Kim Dotcom Kimble Schmitz is one of those individuals that are really, really hard to like just because of the play dough personality and early mistakes. Still, if it seems easier to admire Dotcom than to admire Assange, you know Mr. Assange has some severe issues he should address before he tells people what to see, what to think and what to believe.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Does Sweden not have some sort of system for trial in absentia? I feel like that would be worth exploring. It's not like he couldn't just send his legal team.