Jurassic World Official Trailer!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Yes!! I love watching the not-so-clever get munched by their own mistakes! Shouldve watched the first 3 films, people.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
One one hand, the CGI looks eh, and the overall theme has been beaten to death.

On the other hand, Chris Pratt + Dinosaurs.

I'll see it, but I think I'll keep my expectations in check.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Yeah, it's not really doing much for me. I mean I'll give it a fair shot if the reviews are good, but chalk me up to curious but unenthusiastic.

Those trained raptors were pretty nifty though. But odds are they'll just end up jobbing them out to the new hybrid thing.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I'm surprised the posters are on board for the trained raptors bit...

That's pretty absurd to me. It's like I'm watching some random guy team up with Jason Vorhees to take down a drug lord. Why would you do this to one of your franchise staples? It's not a dealbreaker for me but I was more inclined to laugh at the absurdity of that bit than want to see a movie.

As for the trailer itself.

I love the build up and I like the concept behind the villain. That said, the movie once again feels like the setting is 10x more interesting than the story. I like the idea of a movie exploring a Jurassic Park. Everything after the park breaking apart feels like the filler.

I guess I'd rather have this movie be part of a different genre.

Finally that old music cue felt completely out of place. It's cool to hear for nostalgia but it did not fit that trailer at ALL. Oh well...this movie is a must see for me if/when it comes out on netflix. I'm not a moviegoer so that's about as good as it gets for me.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Some of that CGI looks really bad. Concerned that the kids appear to be the main characters. Sure the kids in the 1st film were alright[footnote]Scenes that are memorable now more because of dated tech than acting ability aside. "Wow an interactive CD-ROM!" "I prefer to be called a HACKER." "I know this, it's a UNIX System!"[/footnote] but the typically weak performances from child actors in parts 2 and 3 really hurt those movies. The more silly your plot/dialog, the better the actors need to be, and 99% of the time kids can't pull that off. Just gonna wait and see, saw all the others in theaters might as well catch this one to.

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
Honestly, I thought it looked utterly shit!

I was lucky enough to be a decent age (13), when the original was released way back in 1993. With Spielberg in the directors chair, Stan Winston at his best and ILM on oscar-winning form, it was a proper game changer.

This one just looks like an overly CGI-laden teal-and-orange-fest, with an average cast. The dialogue was awful, and the ideas are just plain bad. It'll probably make a shit-ton of cash though, so it seems very much like Transformers!

http://theabyssgazes.blogspot.co.uk/2010/03/teal-and-orange-hollywood-please-stop.html

And to add to some earlier comments/questions, the big swimmy thing may well be a Mosasaur. If it is, it's about 30% too big!

I honestly think that the whole thing is just an ill-conceived cash grab, that'll fail miserably at matching the greatness of old, which arrived at a time where practical effects and CGI lived in perfect harmony, and things still felt solid.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
Joseph Hutzulak said:
thaluikhain said:
Ah, so the company is doing dodgy genetic research and creating monsters in their labs for no reason?

Guys. That just doesn't end well. Don't do that.

Alternatively, if you absolutely must do that, plan for things going wrong and have some kind of adequate security at hand. Nobody seems to think of this.
I had to chuckle when the chick said its our first genetic hybrid, ALL of the dinosaurs are genetic hybrids.

The book really hits the point that the dinosaurs we see are not what dinosaurs were like like the DNA was far to damaged to make a real copy. The scientists basically did their best to fill in the gaps, theres a long boring discussion that was cut from the movie between the Dr. we get like two scenes with and Hammond were the Dr. tells him that the Dinosaurs arent really Dinosaurs but what we want dinosaurs to look like.

Also I dont think the idea of creating bigger and badder predators for the park is that far off, after all kids are team carnivore not team herbivore, you want to boost sales? Create a new bad ass predator.

@ Soviet Heavy: I am glad someone else also likes the idea, saw a lot of complaining but it makes sense Raptors would have been the equivalent of a wolf back in their time period.

I think the problem is that JP used a ton of animatronics and people mistake them for CGI, particularly the Raptors and the T-Rex. The actual CGI looks pretty bad honestly.

Compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAhqbOvWCZ4

to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRxQ3dcaQk

The first is CGI and looks like it, the second was dudes dressed up like raptors.
Yeah, which explains why they don't have feathers etc. Also there still are a few examples of CGI in the first one that look genuinely better than some of the stuff we see in this trailer. I'm one of those guys who still mourns the death of stop motion animation effects though, Harryhausen forever!

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I'm sorry, but this movie looks really dumb! The mom at the beginning? "If something chases you, run." What the hell kinda of a line is that?! Might as well have said "If a Jurassic Park movie suddenly happens, just play along." I mean wow. Just not even trying.
Oh an entire park dedicated to dinosaurs? What could go wrong?! Not like we haven't been here, what, three times now? Four including this movie. When have children ever been chased by raptors?(Don't answer that!)

I'm sorry but my suspension of disbelief can't be triggered here. I'll go with dinosaurs can be cloned. Good. Great. But parents sending their kids to a park run by a company that is 0/3 on dinosaur outbreak prevention at dinosaur parks? Why not let Umbrella run Six Flag's Fright Fest?! What's the worst that could happen?! They wouldn't bio-engineer real monsters instead of having dudes in costumes, would they?
Or Weyland-Yutani! They have such a stellar record running new colonies in deep space, why not just let them run NASA's R&D department?! When has Weyland-Yutani ever done something morally questionable?

Seriously, once again a creature with a brain the size of a grapefruit manages to outsmart and defeat supposedly trained professionals with high powered guns(including more than a few drones), and I assume redundant safety precautions and state of the art tracking technology. With all the other movies presumably being in the same universe, they'll need to come up with a better plot than "big lizard outsmarts Navy Seals".
Pretty sure I've seen that movie more than a few times.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Wait... Is hating on movies that use orange and teal in now? You guys pick strange things to complain about. Especially when there's so much more wrong with this.

Anyway, some of that CGI was pretty bad. The shark in particular looked completely out of place with how cartoonish it was.

Also, maybe it's just because the lines were out of context, but this trailer is making me seriously doubt Pratt's dramatic chops.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Cowabungaa said:
A while back they did state that we would see a lot of original JP-style animatronics in Jurassic World, so I'm actually quite optimistic on that one. And it also helped that certain bits that were CGI in the old movies were cleverly masked by things like bad weather and/or darkness. Some of the broad daylight CGI bits look pretty outdated, worse than these ones.
I dno about that one tbh, the first time we see Brachiosaurus is still one of the best things from my childhood i ever saw, and still is, it still holds up beautifully, however i admit some of other models look a bit outdated.

The CGI in this looks great in my opinion. and hell, it still has a while to be tuned up before release.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Silentpony said:
I'm sorry but my suspension of disbelief can't be triggered here. I'll go with dinosaurs can be cloned. Good. Great. But parents sending their kids to a park run by a company that is 0/3 on dinosaur outbreak prevention at dinosaur parks? Why not let Umbrella run Six Flag's Fright Fest?! What's the worst that could happen?! They wouldn't bio-engineer real monsters instead of having dudes in costumes, would they?
Or Weyland-Yutani! They have such a stellar record running new colonies in deep space, why not just let them run NASA's R&D department?! When has Weyland-Yutani ever done something morally questionable?
actually, the second movie establish quite clearly that the world dont know the even of JP 1, and i guess Ingen must have be beaten for the San Diego incident in JP 2, but there's 2 t-rex that have escaped there, nothing more. The events in JP 3 happen in a closed park, with nothing to do with the company.

and for what we know about the script, ingen have been taken over by another company, and when the film start it's been 10 years that the park is open without any incidents. So i dont see why people in that universe should think it's unsafe.

babinro said:
I'm surprised the posters are on board for the trained raptors bit...

That's pretty absurd to me. It's like I'm watching some random guy team up with Jason Vorhees to take down a drug lord. Why would you do this to one of your franchise staples? It's not a dealbreaker for me but I was more inclined to laugh at the absurdity of that bit than want to see a movie.
why it's so absurd ? i mean those dinos are engineered, so what stop them to engineer very docile raptors that can be more easily tamed and trained ?

Seriously, it look good, but maybe that for us that were 12-15 years old when we saw the orignal one in theatre it might mean more. However i'm not sure i like the idea of the hybrid. it really depend on what is it exactly...

Johnny Thunder

May 18, 2014
There were rumours about a super mutant dinosaur and everybody was like: 'don't let it be true'... And now it is true.

So I hate that, I also hate the kid already and the terrible CGI as well. Thumbs up for the Mosasaur though!

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yep. Looks exactly like I predicted. Even the main characters look and sound bland. Thanks for sharing arc, but not one thing about this feels special.

If I hear everyone dies in the movie, I'll see it.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
So I am the only one onboard the hyped train (the unseen hybrid was a great tease for me)?
It's basically a large, white looking t-rex with red eyes and slightly odd shaped snout, but there is more to it then just it's initial appearance.

carlsberg export said:
I bet it's a cross between a t-rex and that big one with the large fin on it's back from the last film.
It's a T-rex/velociraptor/cuttlefish/snake hybrid called Diablos-rex (or 'D-rex' for short). So what we can assume is it's going to be a velociraptor smart T-rex with cuttlefish color/texture camo and the ability to swallow enormous things whole. Actually there is no assumption about the camo part, they already stated it will change color/turn invisible.

Frankster said:
But aw man why they gotta go throw in a hybrid super dino thingy, normal dinosaurs not good enough?
That's actually the plot of the movie, not even kidding. Apparently the park isn't making enough money so they had to frankenstine something up to catch people's interest.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
xPixelatedx said:
That's actually the plot of the movie, not even kidding. Apparently the park isn't making enough money so they had to frankenstine something up to catch people's interest.
the park isn't making enough money so they had to frankenstine something up to catch people's interest.
park isn't making enough money - frankenstine something up to catch people's interest.
Jurassic Park - catch people's interest.
You wot, mate?!
Are you trying to tell me that a theme/safari park that has LIVE DINOSAURS as it's main attraction is simply too mundane for the international audience? HOW?!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, they keep letting the dinosaurs running amok, nobody should ever go there unless they are a Yautja.

I've just thought of a way to make the movie a lot better, and justify why the safety measures failed.

ToxicPiranah

Nov 5, 2009
They missed out on a massive marketing oportunity here. I would have run the trailer as an add for an actual theme park/holiday resort. Keep shots of the big bad and it all going wrong out of the way, show a few dinosaurs like the ones you would see if you were going. You could even have a tie in website, with info and booking etc.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Congrats Steven, dinosaurs look faker than the ones you made up 21 years ago. Probably cost more too.

All Spielberg's involvement with this train wreck is licensing his name as executive producer.