Jurassic World Trailer: Hybrid Super-Saurus Versus Good-Guy Raptors?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Jurassic World Trailer: Hybrid Super-Saurus Versus Good-Guy Raptors?

First look at blockbuster series-revival goes big, new, different... and maybe a little crazy

We've had teasers, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134874-Leaked-Jurassic-World-Story-Details-Confirmed] but now we've got the first real look at Collin Trevorrow and Executive Producer Steven Spielberg's ambitious revival of the sci-fi dinosaur franchise Jurassic World, with a debut trailer that has shocked and divided fans with big new ideas and a bold new direction for the series.

The trailer (which actually launched two days ahead of schedule, possibly to avoid colliding with that of "Starlord" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138747-Star-Wars-May-Get-a-Teaser-Trailer-This-Weekend] Pratt as an dinosaur-trainer and Bryce Dallas-Howard as a geneticist.

But it's the new (for the movies, at least) plot elements that have some fans seeing red: As early rumors had suggested, the film's saurian antagonist appears to be a (yet-unseen) "hybrid" mutant created by Howard's character by combining the DNA of multiple dinosaur species; and a suprising final stinger features Pratt's character riding (to the rescue?) through the jungle on a motorcycle - flanked by a team of friendly (or, at least, human-compliant) Velociraptors.

Suped-up Franken-Dinos? Raptor heroes? That's certainly a new take on the franchise. Will it work? We'll find out when Jurassic World debuts on June 11, 2015.

Source: Universal Pictures [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFinNxS5KN4]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Like I said in another thread, I actually really dig the idea of using Velociraptors as hunting dogs.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Having raptors as working animals isn't unrealistic (as a movie about dinos go). The films have been making them out as highly inteligent with group dynamics so they learn quickly. In theory they are perfect. It just depends on the methodology used.

The only thing iffy about the raptors far as I see, is I doubt they would be used as a hunting pack as I don't believe they chased down their pray, they were ambush hunters. But that's all meaningless since the velociraptors in the movies are completely made up. They never hunted in packs, they had feathers, they were the size of chickens and dumb as a chicken.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
I see they are making it more of a revival of the first movie, where the previous sequels were mostly about random dinosaur fights in random jungles (and cities), this one is actually trying to "reboot" the original "theme park gone wrong" premise, with many of it's motifs (mosquito in amber, hybrid DNA, awe-inspiring dino-watching, theme song), andeven with the title.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
So this is gonna be Jurassic Park with a sprinkling of Deep Blue Sea. I hope it doesn't hurt Pratt's career.

Why would somebody reopen the park and bring back more giant predators? Did they not hear about the last 3 movies' events?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Entitled said:
I see they are making it more of a revival of the first movie, where the previous sequels were mostly about random dinosaur fights in random jungles (and cities), this one is actually trying to "reboot" the original "theme park gone wrong" premise, with many of it's motifs (mosquito in amber, hybrid DNA, awe-inspiring dino-watching, theme song), andeven with the title.
My guess is that it's serving as a sequel and these new people are just building and expanding on the remains and knowledge from the original Jurassic Park. In which case one has to wonder: Did they not learn anything from the events of the first movie?
If you are correct and this is just a straight reboot then okay, but if it's a continuation then humanity is doomed from its own stupidity.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
You know, it might turn out to be terrible... But I really do kind of have to respect the decision *not* to just rehash any one of the other three movies. Some of the ideas in it are kinda bonkers, but a part of me also kind of digs them. I could totally see a dinosaur theme-park trying to 'spice things up' or be more 'extreme' by creating new attractions from scratch. It makes a weird sort of sense.

Mutant dinosaur frankenstein's monster versus humans who may or may not have friendly dinosaurs working for them, set in a futuristic and fully-functional Jurassic Park? Colored me interested. Your move, Legendary.

Igen

Apr 28, 2009
I shared the trailer with my brother, the resulting conversation I feel is worth sharing. =D

Seth: "We only killed about 800 people here so far, why WOULDN'T a 6th attempt at making this a park for plump, juicy, slow-running and clumsy families work?"
Rob: And it looks like roughly the same story from the first. Though the first was 20 years ago.
Seth: ALSO, "What shoule we make as the worlds first genetic-mish-mash-hybrid?"
"How about bunny-hampsters?"
"Chicken-pigs?"
"Fish-Potatoes?"
"You are all wrong! We will combine godzilla and killing and keep it in an open-air fenced area surrounded by poorly defended tourists on an island they can't escape from!"
"How well thought-through and disater-proof! Yes, let's make the 50 foot killing machine as a test run! to HADES with Kitten-Koalas!"
Rob: No tags. No collars. I would be slightly more acepting if it was a millitary contract. Though EVERY. SINGLE. MOVIE. its a containment problem. One would think they would have several safty features, and fail safes by now.
Seth: LAST ONE... PROBABLY: "So Let's put this horribly dangerous predator on a ground floor and surrround it with glass walls and hope for the best!"
"AUGH! WE'RE DYING AND BEING EATEN!"
"SO UNEXPECTED!"
"WHERE WAS THE HISTORICAL OR LOGICAL PRECIDENT!?!?!"
"You would have thought that in a facility like this that employs hundreds of LITERAL geniuses at least ONE person would have raised a safety concern regarding the highly-fragile containment infrastructure BEFORE we hatched hundreds of man-eating horrors!"
"Blarg! We are died!"
(Honestly, now I kind of want to write the script for the parody: DInosaur Disaster Movie! Staring Kenen Thompson and Anna Faris)

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
"She"?
The hybrid is a girl?
And highly intelligent.
A . . . clever girl if you will.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Is it me, or did the last shot look like this movie is about Chris Pratt and his dinosaurs solving mysteries?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Ugh.

The whole concept of Jurassic Park (at least 1 and 3, which are the ones I clearly remember) is that nature cannot be controlled - if you try, you're doomed to fail. Yet here we have a new Jurassic Park movie where the park works - so already it's going against the moral of the previous two movies. And then it says "well, we have these genetically resurrected dinos, and we could TOTALLY control those, but when we made this genetically modified dino everything went to shit." Talk about thematic inconsistency.

I hate every character I've seen so far except Chris Pratt. It looks like a dumb action movie designed to cash in on the franchise by saying "OOOH BIGGER DINOS MASS DEATHS HOORAH". The ball things look stupid. And having Chris Pratt become the Velociraptor Whisperer defeats the point of the beasts being the scary hunters that they were in previous films.

Some people I know are excited for this. I can't say I am: I might watch it as the next big dumb popcorn movie, but I doubt it's going to be a good Jurassic Park film.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Objectable said:
Is it me, or did the last shot look like this movie is about Chris Pratt and his dinosaurs solving
mysteries?
And the Mutated Dino would of gotten away with it to, if it wasn't for those pesky Raptors, and that dumb Human!

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Spaceman Spiff said:
Why would somebody reopen the park and bring back more giant predators? Did they not hear about the last 3 movies' events?
What? That there was an outbreak and a T-Rex run rampant through a city after eating a few people and a dog? Noooooo, that never happened you see..." Yeah, you'd expect someone to know about that, but dat money though.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I really don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand; DINOS! CHRIS PRATT! DA-NA-NA-NAA-NA DA-NA-NA-NAA-NA! On the other; Hey, the two previous films kinda sucked, especially that last one. And why is so much of it CGI?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
luvd1 said:
Having raptors as working animals isn't unrealistic (as a movie about dinos go). The films have been making them out as highly inteligent with group dynamics so they learn quickly. In theory they are perfect. It just depends on the methodology used.

The only thing iffy about the raptors far as I see, is I doubt they would be used as a hunting pack as I don't believe they chased down their pray, they were ambush hunters. But that's all meaningless since the velociraptors in the movies are completely made up. They never hunted in packs, they had feathers, they were the size of chickens and dumb as a chicken.
Except it flies in the face of the themes of the story. The story was about people overstepping their boundaries, and trying to control nature, which couldn't be controlled. The raptors represented this best, as they actively tried to escape, killed a guard, leading to a lawsuit, and refused to be reduced to show. Now they're apparently loyal dogs, which is.... The opposite of what they're supposed to be. The dinosaurs were supposed to look believable, not be genetic super animals.. If Jurrassic World has already betrayed its themes, then I have little hope for this film.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Grabehn said:
Spaceman Spiff said:
What? That there was an outbreak and a T-Rex run rampant through a city after eating a few people and a dog? Noooooo, that never happened you see..." Yeah, you'd expect someone to know about that, but dat money though.
People keep saying this. The producers aren't *entirely* stupid. You know there's going to be a scene akin to:

"It's too dangerous!"
"But now we have the technology to make it safe!"

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
So I dont think the raptors are friendly. In my mind they are all running from something. The fact that the raptors aren't taking the time to eat you, and are instead just running away, is suppose to establish the threat of whatever is chasing them. I would say the preceding shot of the raptors coming out of the gate is actually part of a different "grayhound racing" type sequence.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
luvd1 said:

When the book was published the Utah Raptor (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utahraptor) was thought to be a Velociraptor.
Which explains the size and the name wasn't changed for the film because Velociraptor sounds cooler.

As to hunting methods and intelligence please tell me how anyone knows from bones? parrots are intelligent and there not that big.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_C_BMu8HvA

Found this video on Youtube yesterday, doesn't have a whole lot of views but it sums up my feelings about this stupid trailer pretty nicely.

Who allowed this park to open after all the dinosaur bullshit that went down in the first film?
Did sexy science lady build a dragon?
Why is Starlord hunting said dragon with blood-hound raptors?