Jurassic World Trailer: Hybrid Super-Saurus Versus Good-Guy Raptors?

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
Cgi is not finished and why is Chris Pratt's acting so...lacking? Combining that with stupid plotholes ("oh that theme park that resulted in multiple fatalities due to GIANT DINOSAURS? Yeah lets try it again!") And now they're making the Velociraptors friendly...that's like having friendly Xenomorphs...and also the scientists trying to make a smaller version of Gozilla

Other than that it will probably end up being much better than 2, possibly better than 3 even.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
Fox12 said:
luvd1 said:
Having raptors as working animals isn't unrealistic (as a movie about dinos go). The films have been making them out as highly inteligent with group dynamics so they learn quickly. In theory they are perfect. It just depends on the methodology used.

The only thing iffy about the raptors far as I see, is I doubt they would be used as a hunting pack as I don't believe they chased down their pray, they were ambush hunters. But that's all meaningless since the velociraptors in the movies are completely made up. They never hunted in packs, they had feathers, they were the size of chickens and dumb as a chicken.
Except it flies in the face of the themes of the story. The story was about people overstepping their boundaries, and trying to control nature, which couldn't be controlled. The raptors represented this best, as they actively tried to escape, killed a guard, leading to a lawsuit, and refused to be reduced to show. Now they're apparently loyal dogs, which is.... The opposite of what they're supposed to be. The dinosaurs were supposed to look believable, not be genetic super animals.. If Jurrassic World has already betrayed its themes, then I have little hope for this film.
Well here's the thing about the whole "nature can't be controlled" theme: it's kinda stupid. Even if it has a tendency to turn on us we wield fire just fine. Early humans used to be prey for small four-legged pack animals, then we domesticated them and got dogs. Nature can't be controlled with a wave of a hand, but [i/]some[/i] of it can be twisted over time to serve our needs. Our species' dominance of this planet is testament to that fact. So that the raptors are good guys now is really just an evolution of the theme. Oh, and said theme hasn't been betrayed; it's always been embodied in the dinosaur antagonists which in this case is the hybrid.

Besides, you're forgetting something: we don't know if they stay good. They may turn on the complacent humans.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
luvd1 said:
But that's all meaningless since the velociraptors in the movies are completely made up. They never hunted in packs, they had feathers, they were the size of chickens and dumb as a chicken.
Well, actually (that guy incoming in three... two...) the 'raptors' are more or less modeled on Deinonychus from the early Cretacious, although they still lack feathers. Why they gave them the wrong name is beyond me, presumably Raptor is more emotive than Deino.

I'm perfectly happy with Jurassic Park going full on crazy, it should avoid a repeat of the first film (which was great, but has already been made) and a hunting pack of Dinosaurs with a human leader is straight out of Caddilacs and Dinosaurs, which is brilliant.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Okay massive killing machine that you spend alot of the time being shown the view from between it's legs.

32minutes in to the movie before someone says 'stay away from her you *****'

45.3 minutes in to the movie before someone says 'nature will find a way'

1hour 27 minutes before the obligatory T-Rex steps in to save the day or 23.9 minutes before a T Rex gets utterly butt humped by the new super dino just to prove what a total and utter bad ass the new dino is.

Beyond on that Chris Pratt and Guardians of the Jurassic Parkery, yeah why not?

Feb 28, 2008
Quite intrigued as to what the genetic hybrid dinosaur will be. Hopefully a Giganotosaurus + something, as it's one of the big carnivorous dinosaurs they haven't yet featured. Otherwise also wondering if they'll do something with the Liopleurodon more than just that sideshow exhibit -- it would be great to have an underwater section.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
luvd1 said:
Having raptors as working animals isn't unrealistic (as a movie about dinos go). The films have been making them out as highly inteligent with group dynamics so they learn quickly. In theory they are perfect. It just depends on the methodology used.

The only thing iffy about the raptors far as I see, is I doubt they would be used as a hunting pack as I don't believe they chased down their pray, they were ambush hunters. But that's all meaningless since the velociraptors in the movies are completely made up. They never hunted in packs, they had feathers, they were the size of chickens and dumb as a chicken.
.....as someone who actually studied paleontology at one point I can tell you two things were your absolutely wrong;

1.the hunted in pack of about 5 to 10 as they have been found next to each other in groups of these sizes next to prey animals.
2. they were smart, very smart. Their brain caste is very similar to ours save the scale and are theorized to have had the intelligence of a wolf. to put that in perspective wolves can problem solve as well as most children between ages of 5 and 12.

so yes wrong raptor is shown but make no mistake they were very smart very lethal hunters.

oh and to the ambush thing most dominate predators rely on ambush to catch prey (see lions, cheetah, tigers, and well any big cat or pack hunting animal) this does not mean they wont case down their meal just that they prefer to ambush in order to insure greater success.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Objectable said:
Is it me, or did the last shot look like this movie is about Chris Pratt and his dinosaurs solving mysteries?
I would watch the SHIT out of that. No seriously, as far as having animal companions go, you could do worse than a pack of domesticated JP-style Velociraptors.

SweetWarmIce

Jun 1, 2009
I don't think those raptors were friendly so much as they were uninterested in eating. They looked focused on something.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I already hated for reasons everyone mentioned above before even watching the trailer. If it was a true remake, not rehash of the first (Why does Hollywood think they can avoid our complains of remakes that way, BTW?), the whole genetic engineering ethics issues being repeated wouldn't bother me.

I'll just give you guys a line from the-editing-room.com's Twilight Eclipse abridged script to show how I felt when I read Bryce Dallas-Howard was in this movie: "You're in this? Aren't you normally brought into movie franchises just as they're starting to suck? Like Spider-Man, Terminator, and M. Night Shyamalan's career?"

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Really? Are they really going for "All Genetic Engineering" is evil schtick? I'd like to say I had high hopes for this, but that would imply that after JP3, this franchise had any hope.

D3P1KT

May 18, 2011
I was reading online somewhere that the genetic hybrid is going to be a mixture between a cuttle-fish, Tyrannosaurus Rex and possibly a raptor (Or something akin to that). It's supposedly smaller than the T-Rex in the film, but as I read "Can camouflage" the way a cuttle-fish does.

So yes. Premise is a bit shaky.

However, since the first movie is the first movie I ever saw, kinda have to go see it.

Also, if anyone could find the article I was reading to verify what I was saying would be cool.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Gordon_4 said:
Objectable said:
Is it me, or did the last shot look like this movie is about Chris Pratt and his dinosaurs solving mysteries?
I would watch the SHIT out of that. No seriously, as far as having animal companions go, you could do worse than a pack of domesticated JP-style Velociraptors.
Likewise, I'd even pay to see it in 3-D and I avoid 3-D movies like the plague for the most part.

OT: I kinda like it, like the "theme park" vibe it seem's to give off. I would love to see an underwater section with some neat stuff swimming in the tanks. :D

As for the hybrid, I could see them trying to whip up something "new" for the public to see except why in Terra's name would you make such a massive creature?

As for the end with Starlord hauling ass on his bike with the raptors? I think that's just everyone in that shot trying to run away from something in a panic (namely the hybrid creature), that or it's the awesome idea of using raptors as bloodhounds. :D

Jiggle Counter

Sep 18, 2014
MovieBob said:
a suprising final stinger features Pratt's character riding (to the rescue?) through the jungle on a motorcycle - flanked by a team of friendly (or, at least, human-compliant) Velociraptors.
The first time I saw it, I figured that they were too busy FLEEING from the new hybrid dinosaur. I mean, why tackle and eat a guy on a motorcycle when there's something chasing you, wanting to kick your arse.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
The level of pessimism in this entire thread is just staggering. "Going against the themes of the book." "Declawing the raptors." You don't know a single thing about what they are doing. You can't possibly say anything about "betraying" the original work until it is released. Get off your freaking high horses.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Okay, so the trailer looks dumb. I only hope the movie lives up to it.

bdcjacko said:
I totally need a rapor hunting squad. Kinda freaking out right now.
I am personally looking for a rapport hunting squad.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
So they created a genetically altered, super Dinosaur.

Anyone else immediately think of "Riptor" from "Killer Instinct"?

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
It's like all my Jurassic Park vs Monster Hunter fanfiction come to life.
T-Rex vs Deviljho confirmed?

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
Contains Mosasaurus; 10/10, Movie of the Year, Oscar material.

Also more of that delicious Jurassic Park architecture (even if it's horribly obvious CGI now), I don't even care about the What-Has-Science-Done stortyline.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I have a feeling this going to be a Bumblebee/Stinger scenario from Transformers: Age of Extinction.

Humans create there own version, it goes bad, the true version fights the faker and wins.

Who else wants to see a Raptor/T-rex team up? *raises hand*

Btw guys, the Dino's name is Diabolus Rex, aka D-rex.

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Diabolus_Rex_%28Jurassic_World%29

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Mathak said:
Contains Mosasaurus; 10/10, Movie of the Year, Oscar material.

Also more of that delicious Jurassic Park architecture (even if it's horribly obvious CGI now), I don't even care about the What-Has-Science-Done stortyline.
Apparently the gate is actually a prop.

So it's not all CGI. :p