Jussie Smollett in court again and it's getting weirder.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I saw that. The dude went crazy or something and now thinks that someone is gonna Epstein him.

I'm glad he actually is getting jail time for lying like that. And it's a shame the dude basically ruined his life for....I dunno attention i guess.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And it's a shame the dude basically ruined his life for....I dunno attention i guess.
Not just his life (though I cannot give a rat's ass about the douchebag), but him ruining things for actual victims of actual hate crimes. Because of him, hate crimes now face more questioning of if they actually happen or not. This is why I hate Cry Wolf schemers. They can add another month to the jackass for all I care, and I would have zero complaints.

Reactions: Thaluikhain

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not just his life (though I cannot give a rat's ass about the douchebag), but him ruining things for actual victims of actual hate crimes. Because of him, hate crimes now face more questioning of if they actually happen or not. This is why I hate Cry Wolf schemers. They can add another month to the jackass for all I care, and I would have zero complaints.
Yeah, all those "I oppose legitimate hate crimes" people have someone to cite as an example of when things aren't legitimate. Great.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
How is a hate crime different from a normal crime. If I get my ass kicked by people who hate me, is it not a hate crime? If someone gets mugged is it not a hate crime?

I'm pretty sure it should just be crime. The hate part is irrelevant. After all you can hate someone and do no crime.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
How is a hate crime different from a normal crime. If I get my ass kicked by people who hate me, is it not a hate crime? If someone gets mugged is it not a hate crime?

I'm pretty sure it should just be crime. The hate part is irrelevant. After all you can hate someone and do no crime.
A hate crime works, when you're attacking or killing that person just for being a different skin color or being homosexual or trans. Hate crimes exist for a reason. Look up Jim crow. Do you know how many lives are lost of black people just for being lynched or the color of your skin. Look up Emmett Till. They killed the child just for the color of his skin. A 14 year old.

What you're describing is not how hate crimes work. If you're seriously thinking that they should get rid of hate crimes, then you're part of the problem. There is a big reason why we have hate crime charges, and they should not be removed.

If you don't remember, these three men attacked and killed an unarmed black man just for being in the wrong neighborhood. He had no crime nor rap sheet. Didn't harass or threaten anybody. He was minding his own damn business and doing a job. They killed him just because he was in the "wrong neighborhood" and not white. If you got a problem with hate crimes, blame the people that start them and at the cord on them. Blame Jim Crow, the KKK, and making excuses for racists/sexists/anti-lbgtq for over 100 years. Don't get mad for the rules of hate crimes, when it's meant to punish those that try to cause actual harm to people for being of different skin color, religion, or not being the same gender or change of gender, or for being both genders.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Don't get mad for the rules of hate crimes, when it's meant to punish those that try to cause actual harm to people for being of different skin color, religion, or not being the same gender or change of gender. Or for being both genders.
It's fine but I wonder how they prove that. I suppose with some cases like obvious KKK members or whatever you have a lot of circumstanal evidence to link "hate" to the crime. But at the same time, just assuming that a victim was targeted because of ethnicity or sexual presenation is a slippery slope. It just feels like an extra tag. Look if you kill someone you should go to jail forever and the motive shouldn't matter. I don't like that it's less of a charge if they don't add hate crime to it. That's my point. Not that the sentencing should be easier or whatever, if you do a murder then you should go away forever period no matter who race the victim was. Hell I think crime overall should be punished more harshly to be honest.

I don't like the idea that we let people go after doing crimes like, "Oh they made a mistake and they deserve a second chance." Mistake? Murder aint no mistake, you should need a little catch and release jail time to learn that is wrong. Mugging aint a mistake, robbery aint a mistake. Nobody accidentally holds a gun on someone, that's a purposeful choice. Do the maximum penalty for the crime. End of story.

Let's just say that if they want to add hate crime charges (which is likely in this day and age if the crime involves differences between prep and vic) then they would have to prove that it was a crime of hate, and not just a coincidence of circumstance.

Jesse will make this proof harder.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
It's fine but I wonder how they prove that. I suppose with some cases like obvious KKK members or whatever you have a lot of circumstanal evidence to link "hate" to the crime. But at the same time, just assuming that a victim was targeted because of ethnicity or sexual presenation is a slippery slope. It just feels like an extra tag. Look if you kill someone you should go to jail forever and the motive shouldn't matter. I don't like that it's less of a charge if they don't add hate crime to it. That's my point. Not that the sentencing should be easier or whatever, if you do a murder then you should go away forever period no matter who race the victim was. Hell I think crime overall should be punished more harshly to be honest.
The race of the victim doesn't decide whether something was a hate crime. They require some actual substantial basis to judge the motive of the perpetrator.

I'm afraid motive actually makes a big difference. Not just in terms of hate crime; motive comes into play in sentencing across the board, and it has for centuries. A crime of passion is treated differently from a calculated murder. A killing by an abused spouse is treated differently from a killing by an abuser. And this is right; whether you believe in punishment or rehabilitation or both, its integral that its tailored to bring about a certain effect in the perp, and that depends on motive.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
The race of the victim doesn't decide whether something was a hate crime. They require some actual substantial basis to judge the motive of the perpetrator.

I'm afraid motive actually makes a big difference. Not just in terms of hate crime; motive comes into play in sentencing across the board, and it has for centuries. A crime of passion is treated differently from a calculated murder. A killing by an abused spouse is treated differently from a killing by an abuser. And this is right; whether you believe in punishment or rehabilitation or both, its integral that its tailored to bring about a certain effect in the perp, and that depends on motive.
Yeah I suppose that's fair. I conceed the point.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Don't give me that "slippery slope" bull crap. After over 200 years of cases of attacking people just for being seen the subhuman or second class citizens, there's a reason why this rule is enforced. The majorities crimes people got away with or only got light punishments for. Especially in the South. It still happens today, so I ain't complaining about hate crime charges. If you don't get that, I have nothing left to say to you here. It's not like they're throwing hate crime charges willy-nilly. I don't know why you're so scared. You honestly lose nothing. As long as you're not going after an antagonizing people, you're fine. That's why they have investigators and people that know what they're doing. They can tell when somebody got attacked for what reason. Especially if evidence begins to pile up. They can tell if something is a false accusation, or later on if there was a crime but they have the evidence and psychological analysisists for those types of details and minut differences.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
...and that depends on motive.
And, lest we forget, the identity of the accused and their presumptive victim.

Jussie Smollett saw the inside of a courtroom because he was a celebrity alleged to have committed crimes that made headlines, at a point in which racial tensions and accordingly public scrutiny were exceedingly high. For every Jussie Smollett, there's a few thousand black folk in the country who never see the inside of a courtroom, either due to accepting piss-poor plea deals or pressured into confession and summary judgment. Ya know, of those who miraculously survive apprehension and detention.

But I mean, that's just discussing the justice system reserved for those with uncomfortably high melanin levels. Of folks who pass the paper bag test, and of those who are wealthy?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
For every Jussie Smollett, there's a few thousand black folk in the country who never see the inside of a courtroom, either due to accepting piss-poor plea deals or pressured into confession and summary judgment. Ya know, of those who miraculously survive apprehension and detention.
Wait there are thousands of people who fake hate crimes? I'm confused to what you're trying to say here.

Reactions: BrawlMan