Just Announced: Dragon Quest Heroes is DQ Dynasty Warriors-Style

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
xaszatm said:
...Whelp, looks like I'm getting a PS4 (grumbles and starts digging for gold...)
Can I join you? We'll cover more ground and can split the profits!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
So, Dynasty Warriors is its own genre now?

I am okay with this.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Ugh, this game just dropped of my radar. I only heard the name of the game, and no details, but I was expecting a JRPG. I can't get into the Dynasty Warriors' games.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Haru17 said:
Dynasty Warriors Attack on Titan...
I don't know about you, but that sounds completely amazing. :p
Heck, Dynasty Warriors crossovers are always welcome by me. They already did 2 for One Piece and 3 for Gundam.

xaszatm said:
...Whelp, looks like I'm getting a PS4 (grumbles and starts digging for gold...)
otakon17 said:
WELP! I found ANOTHER reason to get a PS4 now... now if only I had the MONEY for it ;_;.
If we work together, perhaps we can find more gold. :D
All I keep hitting is pyrite. T^T

Candidus said:
Ahahaha!

And it'll be a Japanese PS4 as well, if the localized game doesn't come with dual audio-- or if the game and its promoPS4 don't make it west at all.
You can get one from your region just fine. PS4 isn't region locked at all, and will play Japanese games. The PS Vita, PSP, and PS3 also aren't region locked and allow you to play Japanese games as well.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Haru17 said:
Dynasty Warriors Halo, Dynasty Warriors Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warriors Uncharted, Dynasty Warriors Attack on Titan... So apparently Dynasty Warriors is the singularity of gaming.
Well, someone was gonna take it from Call of Duty sooner or later. Didn't expect it to be them, though.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY ZENNY!

This looks awesome, I'm way more hyped about this than Hyrule Warriors. Though the prospect of dealing with Metal Slimes in real time will likely be very funny as you have to chase them down.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Problem with DQ though: it doesn't exactly have iconic characters. With Three Kingdoms China and Warring States Japan, there were already tons of references in history in fiction (The Hundred Years' War was also much the same way). Gundam is a long-lasting franchise that created many archetypes in anime which can also be shared with Fist of the North Star. And One Piece is pretty much the new Dragon Ball in Japan. And I need not mention Zelda which has created a plethora of memorable characters in nearly every entry.

DQ, while of course very popular and influential, lacks iconic and interesting characters. Can anyone seriously NAME any DQ protagonists or villains? I have difficulty with even that. Heck, the most iconic thing about it is Toriyama's character and monster design. The SLIME is the most iconic symbol of the franchise. Had they done this with, say, FF there wouldn't any trouble due to it having so many cast members that were interesting and recognizable. And that's before you get into gameplay. What exactly could they add from DQ into DW? That's ultimately the problem; this really is an issue of the idea being nothing more than a coat of paint.

ike42

Feb 25, 2009
This is the most horrible idea I've ever heard. I like dynasty warriors just fine, but Dragon Quest has always been story driven, while DW is just mindless button mashing. What I worry about the most is that when this game turns out to be terrible and gets panned in the reviews Square-Enix takes it as more evidence that the western audience just doesn't like Dragon Quest. Please bring a real, non-MMO/non-portable Dragon Quest game to the US and I will throw my money at you so fast you won't know what hit you.

Sillarra

I have no idea how I got here.
Aug 14, 2014
This game being released only for the PS3 and the PS4 really makes it look like Sony saw what Nintendo did with Hyrule Warriors and making one just to compete with them. Just my observation on the matter.

Just to make it clear I'm more of a PC guy myself, so I have no bias on either console.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
GamerMage said:
Do you think Naruto, Toriko, or Nura: Rise Of The Yokai Clan will get a Dynasty Warriors game in the future? I certainly hope so; If so I can finally play as Lee in a hack-n-slash setting.
Naruto technically has that Ultimate Ninja franchise, which is sorta like a Dynasty Warriors game, but it's all still possible. Really the Dynsaty Warriors games are made with franchises and series that are extremely popular, and in One Piece's case it's the new Dragon Ball Z as Addion put it. It's still possible for there to be one, but it's hard to say since Naruto is close to ending, and all I ever hear from the exchange students and Japanese 311 students at my college are that they want Naruto to end already. :/

Sillarra said:
This game being released only for the PS3 and the PS4 really makes it look like Sony saw what Nintendo did with Hyrule Warriors and making one just to compete with them. Just my observation on the matter.

Just to make it clear I'm more of a PC guy myself, so I have no bias on either console.
I can see that, but then I'd wonder why they don't just make another Pirate Warriors game in that case, since Pirate Warriors is exclusive to Sony's systems and hell Pirate Warriors 2 still shows up on best selling charts in Japan at times despite coming out a year ago.

minespatch

Jan 13, 2011
I'm kind of liking this but the more "realistic" yet Toriyama-esque style kind of hurts me since in both DQ 8 and 9, the look of the game felt like a interactive cartoon. Making the characters have more realistic toning kind of hurts my liking for the game but I do love me a good hack n' slash.

I'm also on the "DQ8 sequel" bandwagon. Personally would love to see the Young Yangus games translated so I can finally play them(big Yangus fan here). If I could at least play withor as Yangus in this game, that'd make me more eager to buy a ps4(or a future PS with backwards compatibility).

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
VoidWanderer said:
Haru17 said:
Dynasty Warriors Halo, Dynasty Warriors Monster Hunter, Dynasty Warriors Uncharted, Dynasty Warriors Attack on Titan... So apparently Dynasty Warriors is the singularity of gaming.
So it has become the new 'Angry Birds' to be cloned... Even though its been out for years...
Dynasty Warriors Angry Birds Star Wars Kinect, can we just end popular culture before this happens, lol.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
Dragon Quest is kinda underrated in the West compared to other series, but hey, maybe at least this game might be easier to localize than a whole RPG...assuming they don't just copy/paste script in someway for remakes. i mean i could see them releasing iOS remakes than things like the remake of VII...as for characters, we need; Yangus, Jessica, Torneko, Debora, Amos, Milly and Slival. (have you seen the number of slimes on screen?, it would either have to be him, or Rocket if there was some way of telling slimes apart from the character).

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Oh, come on... I bet this game will be available worldwide. Meanwhile we're still missing out on some games I've wanted to play for ages.

Sorry, fellow Escapsits, I just needed to vent my frustration for all the times I was slapped for wanting to throw my money at 'Dragon Quest 7 DS' and the Japan exclusive 'Yakuza' games. :(

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
well... who am I kidding I'll buy this wether Jessica's in it or not, I just want to beat hordes of slimes as Yangus :)

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
So, Dragon Warrior Warriors, basically? If we used the old North American name for Dragon Quest.
Looks interesting. I do miss the cel-shaded style they were using in VIII, I think it would fit better.