Just bought NES and SNES Classic consoles on Amazon

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
5,396
651
118
Country
USA
They're back to normal prices on Amazon, so I bought both.

Y or N.... am I nuts?

Oh well. Can't wait to mess around with this stuff.

Interested?
 

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Apr 9, 2020
1,612
34
53
New Jersey
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I have the SNES Classic and love the thing. Having an official release of Star Fox 2, 20 years after reading about it in Nintendo Power is a pretty great feeling in itself.

Shame it's missing a few games that would be great to have on there, but then you could put 100 games on the thing and still miss out on some amazing gems from the console's library.
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
5,396
651
118
Country
USA
I recently found an SNES Classic at my local grocer superstore. Figured why not, it?s not like they?re in great supply or will get much cheaper anytime soon.

Anyways, it?s pretty neat. 21 game?s including the never-released Starfox 2. I tried out Super Metroid, Megaman
X and Starfox, which all brought back great memories and were interesting to revisit gameplay-wise. It took me like a couple minutes to get used to the platforming in SM and only had a couple seconds left on the escape timer in the beginning, literally. I actually rocked the first level of Starfox though, which unlocks Starfox 2 after defeating the first boss. Didn?t try it yet though.

I like how crisp the sprite-based visuals are even on my 97? projector display.






There actual game display area is smaller and boxed though due to the aspect ratio. I use the ?pixel perfect? setting, but might try the cool CRT filter for some nostalgia. There are also several frames to use for the screen border if you so choose.

Aside from games looking great for their age, this thing has some other cool features like an attract mode that plays clips of your gameplay when idle on the menu screen. More interesting is the safe function, which can be done at any time by resetting to the main menu. What?s really, well, super cool though is the ability to rewind up to a few minutes of gameplay from your selected save point. I suppose it could be abused during tough sections but it?s nice to have in general when life calls.
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
5,396
651
118
Country
USA
Thanks to you both! I got the SNES and I agree. It looks terrific on my 39" LED.

The NES ran out of stock before I made my order. Should be back in stock today. I may get it Wednesday.

I expect Zelda 2 will look better on it than the Gamecube version looks. So far, not an insane purchase.
 

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
17,358
1,500
118
I wish I could get these games on the Switch, because as cool as it is to have them on one little box it's such a fucking hassle to attach and detach the from my TV. And I'm not gonna leave it hooked on with all those freaking wires. I want to play and revisit some of these games, but because of the hardware it's on it's just not worth it.
 

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
12,278
1,475
118
Gender
Whatever, just wash your hands.
They are neat but I have to wonder about the emulation on the snes classic. It feels like there is more slowdown then on the old systems.
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
Casual Shinji said:
I wish I could get these games on the Switch, because as cool as it is to have them on one little box it's such a fucking hassle to attach and detach the from my TV. And I'm not gonna leave it hooked on with all those freaking wires. I want to play and revisit some of these games, but because of the hardware it's on it's just not worth it.
technically you can get NES games on the Switch soon.
 

Mothro

New member
Jun 10, 2017
101
0
0
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:
I wish I could get these games on the Switch, because as cool as it is to have them on one little box it's such a fucking hassle to attach and detach the from my TV. And I'm not gonna leave it hooked on with all those freaking wires. I want to play and revisit some of these games, but because of the hardware it's on it's just not worth it.
technically you can get NES games on the Switch soon.
technically you can RENT NES games on the Switch soon.
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:
I wish I could get these games on the Switch, because as cool as it is to have them on one little box it's such a fucking hassle to attach and detach the from my TV. And I'm not gonna leave it hooked on with all those freaking wires. I want to play and revisit some of these games, but because of the hardware it's on it's just not worth it.
technically you can get NES games on the Switch soon.
technically you can RENT NES games on the Switch soon.

No shit.

I was only referring to the fact that he can in fact play NES games on Switch soon.

Stop being pedantic about pricing. His statement "i wish i could get these games on the Switch" didn't even relate to pricing nor did my reply to CasualShinji relate to pricing at all. That's an entirely different matter.
 

spartandude

New member
Nov 24, 2009
2,721
0
0
I got an SNES classic and I love it. I would say be cautious with the NES unless you have played some of those games fairly recently. The vast majority of NES or 8Bit games in general have aged terribly in almost every regard.
 

Mothro

New member
Jun 10, 2017
101
0
0
Yoshi178 said:
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:
I wish I could get these games on the Switch, because as cool as it is to have them on one little box it's such a fucking hassle to attach and detach the from my TV. And I'm not gonna leave it hooked on with all those freaking wires. I want to play and revisit some of these games, but because of the hardware it's on it's just not worth it.
technically you can get NES games on the Switch soon.
technically you can RENT NES games on the Switch soon.

No shit.

I was only referring to the fact that he can in fact play NES games on Switch soon.

Stop being pedantic about pricing. His statement "i wish i could get these games on the Switch" didn't even relate to pricing nor did my reply to CasualShinji relate to pricing at all. That's an entirely different matter.

My statement did relate to pricing.
 

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
1,050
0
0
Meh. I bagged on them when they were announced and then ended up buying them all, including the gold one and both Japanese versions because I have more money than sense, so I'm going to say no.
 

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
4,789
1
0
On one hand I'm really tempted to get a SNES Classic. On the other hand, I own a fully working real SNES and most of the games on the Classic (as well as a fair few choice games that aren't). I also have a good upscaler. Cost me a pretty penny, but it also works for all my other SD consoles. I should probably just admit to myself that paying again for something I for the most part already have is not worth it. Not for the 3 games the Classic has that I can't get for my original (at least not without paying an arm and a leg and having to mod my console).
 

Yoshi178

New member
Aug 15, 2014
2,108
0
0
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Mothro said:
Yoshi178 said:
Casual Shinji said:
I wish I could get these games on the Switch, because as cool as it is to have them on one little box it's such a fucking hassle to attach and detach the from my TV. And I'm not gonna leave it hooked on with all those freaking wires. I want to play and revisit some of these games, but because of the hardware it's on it's just not worth it.
technically you can get NES games on the Switch soon.
technically you can RENT NES games on the Switch soon.

No shit.

I was only referring to the fact that he can in fact play NES games on Switch soon.

Stop being pedantic about pricing. His statement "i wish i could get these games on the Switch" didn't even relate to pricing nor did my reply to CasualShinji relate to pricing at all. That's an entirely different matter.

My statement did relate to pricing.
all you did was state the bloody obvious to me.
 

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
Apr 6, 2020
5,396
651
118
Country
USA
spartandude said:
I got an SNES classic and I love it. I would say be cautious with the NES unless you have played some of those games fairly recently. The vast majority of NES or 8Bit games in general have aged terribly in almost every regard.
Started up Final Fantasy 1 and was surprised how much fun it still is. And it looks very sharp using HDMI.

I have Zelda ZOOT and MM for N64 on the gamecube over the yellow composite cable. Looks horrible. May an N64 classic w/ HDMI come out soon.