Just Downloaded Steam

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Flamehero1 said:
EDIT: Also what is the difference between pc and 360 TF2?
Hundreds more maps, about at least triple the amount of weapons and new gamemodes. Festive events, like halloween/christmas or the soldier/demo war.
Also hats.

It's free, or you can buy weapons to be unlocked instantly but it doesn't take long to get something you want free. I haven't spent a penny and have all the weapons.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
If I were you, I would just wait on games to go on sale, and buy them then. It's what I do, anyway.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Oh easy, X-Com. Other than that checkout Good Old Games, they have games completely DRM free and some of their titles are on Steam.

If your machine can handle it the Stalker games are pretty damn fine.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
I got G-mod and TF2 together for something like £6.99 I believe, which is a good buy.
I'd just buy the "valve pack" or whatever it was I saw a while ago. You get TF2, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Portal, Half Life 2 and all episodes.
I think you got about 20-30 games for about £50 which really isn't bad at all.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
I would say run through the demo library and check them out. A lot of them are pretty solid and, with luck, you might find something cheap during this weeks Square Enix sale. Most of their stuff has been crap but there are some gems.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
I suggest buying half life 2 and then downloading mods. use your time for that till a sale pops up.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Just bought Just cause 2 for 6.25?. It's really a fun game and you can't say not to a deal like that.

Edit: pre-order Portal 2. I'd really recommend you to play it on the PC instead of the Xbox360.

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
Garry's Mod. There's loads of game mode mods online so if you get bored of attaching ragdolls to vehicles you can play a shitload of different things. It's pretty cheap too, I'm not sure how much it is right now but I got it ages ago for like £6. I have probably near enough 1000 hours logged too, so it's good value for money!

hiuhyoi

Feb 13, 2011
I wholeheartedly endorse hat collection simulator/man shoots.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are worth picking up when they are on sale if you've never played a modded version of the two. Modding Fallout 3 is relatively simple but Oblivion is not for the faint of heart, still it's one of the best western RPG experiences on PC (Until the modding community moves onto Skyrim.)

Torchlight could be worth a look too if that's your kind of thing.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Trolldor said:
If your PC can handle it, Just Cause 2 is a definite purchase.
Well I found out that my PC can't even handle the first Just Cause.

I saw the sale and I bought on impulse, though I did look at the minimum specs and I thought I met them.

This is my system:
Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium* , Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001)
DirectX* Version: 10.0
Physical Memory: 3316 MB
Minimum Graphics Memory: 8 MB
Maximum Graphics Memory: 286 MB
Graphics Memory in Use: 185 MB
Processor: x86 family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Speed: 2493 MHZ

Accelerator in Use: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
Video BIOS: 1471
Current Graphics Mode: 1920 by 1080 True Color (60 Hz)

When I try to start Just Cause, it gives me an error message. It asks me if I have updated my drivers, which I have checked and they are up to date. It also asks me to see if my graphics card supports the functions vertex shader 1.1 and pixel shader 1.1.

When I looked things up, all things point to that my Chipset doesn't support 1.1 shaders. So my question would be to the people in the know out there, what's the cheapest graphics card out there that will run both Just Cause and Just Cause 2.

I'm okay with my buying mistake. It has just forced me to do what I have been putting off for far too long: Making upgrades to my apparently crappy computer.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
hiuhyoi said:
I wholeheartedly endorse hat collection simulator/man shoots.

Oblivion and Fallout 3 are worth picking up when they are on sale if you've never played a modded version of the two. Modding Fallout 3 is relatively simple but Oblivion is not for the faint of heart, still it's one of the best western RPG experiences on PC (Until the modding community moves onto Skyrim.)

Torchlight could be worth a look too if that's your kind of thing.
Modding Oblivion and Fallout 3 (and New Vegas by extent) is essentially the same since they run on the same engine (with slight improvements). It really depends on the type and the amount of mods you want to run, overhauls in particular can be a real pain (I'm looking at you FCOM).

Also, I second the suggestion for Torchlight, if you're into hack-and-slash RPGs. Titan Quest is also a nice game in the same genre... And both are support mods and custom maps, which is another nice bonus.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
For some AMAZING free games, check out Dystopia, Alien Swarm, and Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II. The first and third require that you have a source game, but it sounds like you do (the Orange Box).

If your computer can handle it, Shattered Horizon is an incredibly neat game that's pretty cheap.

As for other paid games, Steam has a large portion of all of the PC games made in the last few years, so you may as well just be asking for any sort of PC game recommendation. That's really just far too big a pool to give a good recommendation, especially without any realy knowledge of your tastes.

Edit: Saw your post about KOTOR. Do it. In a second. The sequel is also good, though probably the buggiest game I've ever played (tip: don't overwrite saves, just keep all of them in case something breaks, you need to go back a bit, and you don't feel like restarting the entire game). Dragon Age is basically fantasy KOTOR, so if you like KOTOR and haven't played it yet, I'd really recommend taking a look at that.

And OH YES, Steam has PSYCHONAUTS. You owe it to yourself to play that game if you haven't.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
starfox444 said:
brunothepig said:
Flamehero1 said:
Keep an eye out for sales and such. I believe EA is doing something this week. Just Cause 2 is only $7.50 right now. If you have the PC to run it, I highly recommend this game.

Just Cause 2 is a Marmite game. Hate it/Love it. Give it a demo first if you can.
Haha. Sorry about that, I've been staying off the Steam page except to quickly check on deals, since I'm using a prepaid internet thing right now...
I'm quite disappointed now though, I was hoping for Mass Effect to pop up at bargain price. Ah well. Maybe Easter.
And I do agree about Just Cause 2 actually. Me and everyone I know who's played it loves it, but we all have similar tastes in games. I have heard very heavy criticism leveled at it...