Just finished one of the best games i've ever playd, 13 years too late.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Wow, just wow.

Just took it upon myself to drag my apendage out of my rectum and chat my bonebox at the last boss of planescape torment.

I knew it was going to be good, and i'm sure i would have appreciated it more if i'd actually played it thirteen years ago. But at the same time i could actually play it without any crippling bugs (something that seems to haunt most of the black isle wonders).

It was.. amazing, unusually for myself i'm at a loss for words. And so i rush to make my voice heard on the mighty towers of the intrawebz.

How 'bout it escapists, anyone else played a game way,WAY after it was released? And not really mind the graphics being dated, the gameplay being a tad flat due to age? If not, then dust of that ol' title on the shelf (you KNOW you have one) and rock it, heck, blame me if anyone gives you grief about it.

it's on the house.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Yes, I played the original fallout recently, fucking class game (Still not finished it).

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Same deal. I picked up Planescape: Torment a few months back when Good Old Games was doing a buy-one-get-one-free promotion with all D&D-based games. Somehow I missed it when it first came out, and for years I didn't play it because it was fairly rare to find a physical copy (that didn't cost a fortune, anyway) and digital distribution of it wasn't a thing yet.

Sooo glad I finally got the chance to play it, as it's very deserving of its praise.

DeManix

Jun 7, 2010
I played Final Fantasy VII for the first time this summer, and that's been my favourite game I've played this year. It was so good that I went and got FFVI just last week, which may well be even better. So a game that was released 15 years ago and its predecessor that was released before I was born may well end up being my favourite games of 2012.

Cronq

Oct 11, 2010
I didn't get around to the original Deus Ex until last year.

That is an amazing game.

It's shining examples like these that prove great games don't need great graphics. Sprites and bad 3D will do fine.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Lucky. I couldn't find my way out of the starting area. *sigh* It is my brothers job to do that, why did I have to do it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I didn't play Half Life 2 and the episodes until early 2010.

Still loved it. "You had to be there" my arse.

On the other hand, I played the original at about the same time and wasn't impressed. That level design has not aged well.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
I knew before I even opened the thread that this would almost certainly be Planescape Torment just by the title.

I'm actually normally on top of the classic good games. Ultima 7 I didn't play until pretty late after release and that was amazing. Now I have a nice GOG/Exult version and I'm playing it again!

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
It's hard to come up with games I HAVEN'T played late. Mostly SNES and PS1 RPGs.

Captcha: "Get DISH Now". No. I don't wanna. I like cable.

OrpheusTelos

Mar 24, 2012
Pretty much all of the PS1 era FF Squaresoft games. Also Chrono Trigger, didn't play into the DS remake.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I didn't play PS:T myself until late last year. I only beat Half-Life 2 and it's Episodes this year, too and now both PS:T and HL2 are amongst my favourite games of all time.

Same goes for Silent Hill 2, actually. I only played that either this year or last year and it is, again, one of my all time favourites.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I played xenosaga episode 3 about two months ago. First game to make me cry ,it was . And not just get wattery eyed , oh no . I cried like a little ***** .

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I played Super Mario 64 in 2003, after I had already beat Super Mario Sunshine. And I hated it. As an early 3d game, it just lacked all character, style and sense of place that the 2d Mario games had before it, and it felt so empty. I had some of the same complaints about the Super Mario Galaxy games though, as well. It's cool that they were trying new things and I totally appreciate that, it just felt like they had to take a massive step back for style and immersion to do that (immersion in a Mario game, lol.)

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
I played and beat Link to the Past for the first time a couple of months ago and thought it was one of the best games ever. Actually, before that, I had never played a Zelda game. Also I tried Ocarina of Time and was bored after the first two hours. I had my friend who's a huge Ocarina fan play the rest while I watch to try and revive my interest. It didn't work.

Link to the Past although, top notch. ^^

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I've been playing my SNES a bit lately. I'm going through Secret of Mana and finding myself rather underwhelmed. The translation is very shoddy, and the story is bare-bones RPG cliches. I also played a bit of Deus Ex this summer. I didn't get around to beating it, but holy hell was that game ahead of its time.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Final Fantasy IX back in 2010. It was after I've beaten Final Fantasy VII for the first time in the same year in fact. VII was a very good game in it's own right, but IX. HOLY SHIT.

FFIX just blew me away by how awesome it was. It's lovable cast of characters, amazing soundtrack, gripping story, and fantastic ending made it pretty much one of my most favorite games of all time AND my favorite JRPG.

I also played ICO last year via the Team ICO collection. Fucking amazing game as well.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
I was about six years late playing Portal. The graphics haven't aged very well (though I think they were behind the time even at launch), but everything else is still top-notch.