Just finished Saints Row 3, didn't expect it to be that good

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
Saint's Row is what Grand Theft Auto would be if it stopped trying to be so serious all the time. Saint's Row 2 & 3 get the same score in my book, but for different reasons. As others have mentioned, It's gotten better in some areas and worse in others. Still, I loved playing a guy with red skin and devil horns. Satan's takin' over Steelport!

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
GeneralTwinkle said:
Please play saints row 2.
It's much, much better, and not wannabe versions of GTA. The fanstastical elements are appreciated even more in that game because not everything is batshit. I've not known anyone who's played both that thought 3 was better.
Uh, me, actually.

Just my opinion, but I much preferred SR3. It has much better controls, more enjoyable gameplay, doesn't take itself as seriously and is, well......more fun overall. It's difficult to quantify exactly what makes SR3 so good, but i've enjoyed it a lot more than it's predecessor.

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
GeneralTwinkle said:
It's much, much better, and not wannabe versions of GTA. The fanstastical elements are appreciated even more in that game because not everything is batshit. I've not known anyone who's played both that thought 3 was better.
I know you're getting quoted a lot, but add another to the list. Hello, I'm Bobic, good to meet you. Saints Row 3, for me, was just a lot funnier, both in gameplay (thanks to the new toys and mechanics) and in its story. And I've always found that ' number 2's not constant batshit made you appreciate the batshit more' argument a bit flawed. The craziness doesn't have to juxtapose with the rest of the game, it juxtaposes with the rest of my life and the other not-batshit games I play.

Also, the average critic prefers it(ever so slightly), but not the average gamer (ever so slightly, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was some metacritic backlash from the ridiculous amount of dlc).

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/saints-row-2
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/saints-row-the-third

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
Personally I couldn't get through more than 2 hours of SR2 because the PC version was near-unplayable. The controls were clunky and imprecise, movement jerky, animations rough. Just...unpolished. I definitely prefer SR3 and enjoyed every minute of that particular loopy marathon.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
evilneko said:
Gee, I kinda looked at my SR2 character as something of an extreme Anti-Hero. >.>
Is "anti-hero" now another word for "monster?"
Oh sure, my methods may have been extreme, but I have put an end to gang violence in Stilwater AND taken down a corrupt Megacorp!

And then I saved Steelport from being bombed into smithereens. Erm, sorry about that neighborhood that got zombiefied... not MY FAULT I SWEAR.

omglazorspewpew

Nov 14, 2011
I am going to second that Bulletstorm nomination. I remember before it came out it felt like a "bro-shooter" but once I got my hands on it and played through I thought it was much better than I expected. The amount of "fucks" and "cock jokes" were a bit much but the shooting mechanics and the decent multiplayer really made me change my mind about the game.

These other games are games that are highly polished but somehow forgotten..not necessarily similar to SR3....actually none of them are third-person shooters.

Yakuza Series - First seen as a Eastern GTA wannabe, but by the time they hit on the PS3 they lost that moniker and really started to shine on its own merits. It is very Japanese, but it has a cool combat system and a ton of side-quests and minigames. (I don't know about Dead Souls....haven't played that one)

Shadows of the Damned (and to a lesser extent Lollipop Chainsaw) - Shadows was the first SUDA 51 game I have enjoyed playing. It has SUDA's stylistic sensibilities (albiet a bit toned down) but it plays more like the newer Resident Evil games....which makes sense when you see Shinji Mikami had a hand in it. Lollipop Chainsaw just felt a bit more vapid but it's essentially a 3D beat-em up with good combat mechanics.

Disgaea Series - Nice sprites, great strategy combat, and a ridiculous amount of hours that can be poured into the game. If you don't like JRPG's then you should probably stay far away from this one.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
GeneralTwinkle said:
I never actually had to stop because I didn't have enough respect, but that's really an issue practically everyone's complained about in 3. That the sidequests are just dull, and not fun, but you have to do them otherwise you just can't continue.
And the theme and style of SR2 is what made it for me, I really liked the gangs and the characters. The boss was awesome.
I don't think anyone's really saying the gameplay in 2 is better. It's the city, the writing, and just the feel of the game that made it more fun.
The PC port was garbage though, I'll give you that. That was really annoying.
I think you mean in 2 that (people) had to play dull sidequests to continue, SR3 removed that system entirely; respect was essentially just xp which was a massive improvement. That aside though the major difference is just in the style and I personally preferred SR3, the gangs just really didn't do it for me at all.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I always hated the idea of Saints Row, because of the gang theme, and the whole 'GTA rip off' vibe 9seriously, why would you rip that off? It sucks.) But for some reason I picked up SR3 and for me, it was probably the most fun game I played last year. I mean like pure fun value. It isn't serious in any way, its not highbrow, its not trying to be art, its just balls to the walls fun

Also, I got it on PS3, so got SR2 for free!

Now don't get me wrong, SR2 is bigger, and there is a hell of a lot more stuff to do, but after playing 3, it feels like a step backwards. The controls are clunkier, the graphics aren't as good (though it does look slightly more 'real' that SR3, or maybe thats because I spent most of that game running round as a blue haired anime chick with titanic boobs and a clothes alergy) and... I dunno. Like i say, its not a bad game, far from it, better than I expected, but definately one to play before SR3.

As for similar games, well, there aren;t really many other zany games like this. Just cause 2, sure, but other than that..?

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
GeneralTwinkle said:
sounding off.

played both, preferred 3. SR2 was zero challenge. granted i played both on the PC.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Saints Row 2 was a charming game that rode the line between some seriously funny jokes and groin tightening drama/action. It drove past being a GTA clone to actually surpassing what the game it was copying.

One of few games I can actually say had me emotionally invested. While Saints Row 3 was okay.. Well.. It was so dumbed down and basic.. Try Saints Row 2

Wereduck

Jun 17, 2010
Both SR2 & SR3 are really good but I'm adding my voice to the pro-2 chorus.
Best thing in SR3 was a throwaway line: "Mine's 'teacup'".

Also, the series isn't a GTA ripoff - it's an upgrade. Even with the seriously downsized customization options in SR3 you've got way more influence on your character & the game world than in GTA. Only San Andreas comes anywhere close for customization or balls-out fun.

DeimosMasque

I'm just a Smeg Head
Jun 30, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
GeneralTwinkle said:
Well hi there.
Now you know one. Just felt like sharing.
Now he knows two as I liked 3 better and I adored 2.

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
I prefer SR2 as well, SR:TT was fun, it just ruined the chances of The Third Street Saints ever having a serious game again.

But what really killed SR:TT is all the bullshit dlc they "release"

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Instead of repeating my opinion about SR3 i like to point out the review of "Angry Joe"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHB0CQ3uPj4
He sums it up pretty good.
A remake of SR2 with SR3s graphics and gameplay would be my dream come true.

Burig

Nov 8, 2010
I've only played S.R. 3 and thought it was trying too hard at times, to the point of being a bad game - not that it was a bad game overall, just had some really annoyingly frustrating parts to it. I had kind of wanted more customisation in the game, given what I had heard (either about that game itself, or about the previous ones). Might have to try 2 out though, since people either seem to love 3, or love it's predecessors.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Personally I thought SR2 was split too far between the crazy and the normal stuff.

All the story missions are straight laced plain old normal GTA shit, and all the side stuff is bizarre hilarious stuff like spraying sewage all over houses and dressing up as a cop and gunning people down on TV.

It's like two completely different ideas that have absolutely no middle ground at all. SR3 just took the story mission stuff and made it sillier.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
heyheysg said:
Given that Saints row 1 and 2 looked like gangster wannabe versions of GTA, I was pleasantly surprised by the change in art direction and fantastical elements of SR3.

Are there any other games out there that are just based as fun and have such a high level of polish?
Different strokes for differen t folks. I thought SR2 was above and beyond SR3.