Just Passing Through? Rogue Star Grazed Our Solar System Very Recently

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Just Passing Through? Rogue Star Grazed Our Solar System Very Recently

Roughly 70,000 years ago, a binary star formation brushed against our solar system - and it might have been visible from Earth.

It's terrifying enough that <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133953-Asteroids-Strike-Earth-With-Nuclear-Force-Twice-a-Year>Earth is basically a cosmic shooting gallery for passing asteroids. But in the grand scheme of things it's fairly normal - Earth survived such impacts in the past, after all. Besides, there are <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intergalactic_star>entire stars just drifting through space that could've completely ruined our day - and we actually came very close to meeting one recently. If you looked at the right spot in the sky 70,000 years ago - a time when modern humans <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatomically_modern_humans>were just establishing themselves - you might have spotted a small, flaring binary <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135432-Hubble-Space-Telescope-Shows-Image-on-How-a-Star-is-Born>star system as it made its way through the Oort Cloud.

The Oort Cloud, for those not in the know, is a spherical cloud of ice-based comets at the very edge of our solar system, roughly 100,000 AU from the sun. This binary star system - dubbed Scholz's star - passed by at a distance of 52,000. In more conventional terms, that's only 0.8 of a light year away. For context, the closest star to Earth (Proxima Centauri) is 4.2 light years away from us.

Scholz's star, which is technically a star and brown dwarf companion, were spotted about 20 light years away. It still managed to generate significant attention from scientists because it had a very slow tangential motion - which is astronomer-speak for its path across the sky.

"Most stars this nearby show much larger tangential motion," Professor Eric Mamajek from the University of Rochester explained. "The small tangential motion and proximity initially indicated that the star was most likely either moving towards a future close encounter with the solar system, or it had 'recently' come close to the solar system and was moving away. Sure enough, the radial velocity measurements were consistent with it running away from the Sun's vicinity - and we realized it must have had a close flyby in the past."

At that distance, Scholz's star is 50 times fainter than what we usually see with the naked eye. That said, it's a magnetically active system, which means it periodically flares to become thousands of times brighter than normal. Our ancestors might very well have spotted it for minutes or even hours at a time when such a flaring event occurred. Whether they would have known the light was an entire freaking star system is another question entirely.

Prior to Scholz's star, astronomers predicted that the rogue star HIP 85605 would near our solar system in the next 240,000 to 470,000 years. Thanks to new calculations generated from this information however, it now seems HIP 85605 won't even enter the Oort Cloud at all. In the meantime, this data will be used to determine what other stars recently passed through our solar system - and which ones are still on the way.

Source: University of Rochester

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
It's strange, but all I can think of is Austin Powers going "Twins, Basil. Twins..." in Goldmember.

Still, ummm...wouldn't that also mean that said stars were swinging around some planets like a morningstar (no pun intended) when they did that?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Interesting story and yet the thing that confuses me the most is that they refer to these two stars as "Scholz's star". Are binary stars always counted as one? Or only when the partner is so small and weak as a brown dwarf would be? Are brown dwarfs even considered stars? Perhaps not.

FalloutJack said:
Still, ummm...wouldn't that also mean that said stars were swinging around some planets like a morningstar (no pun intended) when they did that?
Lot's of stars are without planets. And the Oort cloud itself is a) very far out from our system's planets and b) not fully proven yet, to my limited understanding. Another star (or stars) passing so (cosmically speaking) close by to our system would probably have had gravitational effects, sure, but I doubt it could've taken them out of their orbits and "swung" them around.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Funny thing: The Toba Catastrophe occurred roughly about 70,000 years ago.

No doubt this is where our alien visitors arrived from. All hail the true rulers of humanity!

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
"Very recently" Ooh, how recent? Like like Middle ages recent, or ancient Egypt recent? "Roughly 70.000 years ago-" Nevermind...

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
keniakittykat said:
"Very recently" Ooh, how recent? Like like Middle ages recent, or ancient Egypt recent? "Roughly 70.000 years ago-" Nevermind...
Well in terms of universal scale that's the equivalent of a minute ago. :)

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Am I the only weird one who instantly thought of the Itou Junji manga Hellstar Remina?

Yep, It's about a rouge star that eats other planets...

I'll just be at my weird corner then.

Hevach

Dec 18, 2013
Skeleon said:
Interesting story and yet the thing that confuses me the most is that they refer to these two stars as "Scholz's star". Are binary stars always counted as one? Or only when the partner is so small and weak as a brown dwarf would be?
Systems are usually are classified as one object, with each object getting a letter. Example: Alpha Centauri is officially designated as one object called Alpha Centauri AB. That object includes both stars Alpha Centauri A and Alpha Centauri B, probably (we're not 100% sure it actually orbits them) includes Proxima Centauri (Alpha Centauri C) and would also include any planets (we thought we found one, Alpha Centauri Bb, but follow ups seem to have ruled it out).

Are brown dwarfs even considered stars? Perhaps not.
Sort of. Some of them. Maybe. Brown dwarfs are still kind of a fuzzy classification, some show signs of nuclear fusion that ended early in their life, others show no such signs, while some show signs of active atmospheric weather. There's astronomers who split brown dwarves into as many as three separate types of object, with those that had fusion but stopped being classed as stars or stellar remnants and those with atmospheric effects like iron rain being classed as a new type of gas giant, sometimes with the middle ground being left in its ambiguous state.

Lot's of stars are without planets. And the Oort cloud itself is a) very far out from our system's planets and b) not fully proven yet, to my limited understanding. Another star (or stars) passing so (cosmically speaking) close by to our system would probably have had gravitational effects, sure, but I doubt it could've taken them out of their orbits and "swung" them around.
If it did, it takes up to 2 million years for a comet to fall from that level to the inner solar system, so we won't know for sure for another 1.9 million years or so.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Skeleon said:
Interesting story and yet the thing that confuses me the most is that they refer to these two stars as "Scholz's star". Are binary stars always counted as one? Or only when the partner is so small and weak as a brown dwarf would be? Are brown dwarfs even considered stars? Perhaps not.

FalloutJack said:
Well, I personally was not sure. Solar systems are weird things, of course. Everything in the universe is both in rotation and drifting around, sometimes into each other. Whole galaxies mingle, at least on the fringes, and yet stay 'whole'. We live in a strange world, so I had to wonder.

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
The DISCOVERY is recent, nothing else about this is.

Im worried about you, Escapist. I don't want to see mentions of "Supermoons" here.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Panzervaughn said:
The DISCOVERY is recent, nothing else about this is.

Im worried about you, Escapist. I don't want to see mentions of "Supermoons" here.
The event was also quite recent. 70,000 years on a cosmic scale is about how long it takes to microwave a cosmic burrito.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Am I the only one who immediately thought of Isaac Asimov's Nemesis? Anyone? Anyone at all?

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
The gravitational effects of this event would be rather interesting. A binary star system making its way through the Oort cloud could explain a lot of impact events throughout our solar system (starting with (as someone mentioned - albeit in jest) another possible explanation for the circumstances of the Toba Event, although unlikely). It could also be related to some of the more stretched orbits of ice comets around us, as well as (depending on the size and speed of the system), even some of our more local gravitational irregularities.

Also: While on a cosmic scale 70k years is indeed relatively recent, this "very recently!" has quite the stench of clickbait. (Which is something I've been noticing a lot with the science articles on here, sadly.)