Just played the first minute of Bioshock

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
So a few weeks ago I asked a thread in which if Bioshock is worth a purchase and asked if it was actually scary. Well most said it wasn't bad and so I popped it in today and stopped after one minute. After the plane crash and you enter the building it was so dark and I'm afraid of the dark, so that didn't help. Also I quit after you start the machine that takes you to Rapture. So I think I figured out I'm the biggest wuss in the world. I'm selling it back on Ebay right away. Ever have a similar experience?

EDIT: If you want to know how scared I get, I cried to my friend begging him so that we wouldn't see this movie.

EDIT AGAIN: I finally grew a pair and played through the first level and the game is awesome. I'm at the medical pavillion now, but thanks to everyone for the help and support.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
No. Because I know I'm not one for scares (I've never understood why people like being scared as I hate it) and I avoid games that could scare me. Although I didn't find Bioshock to be that scary. The thing I hate (which also happens in a lot of games) is enemies popping up behind me.

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
lovest harding said:
No. Because I know I'm not one for scares (I've never understood why people like being scared as I hate it) and I avoid games that could scare me. Although I didn't find Bioshock to be that scary. The thing I hate (which also happens in a lot of games) is enemies popping up behind me.
I can understand liking horror movies, but I just hate forcing myself to be scared because I don't like it.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Honestly, you really should give it another go. The game ditches the "dark scary disheveled city" after the Medical Pavilion. (Which is the 1st level after the tutorial.) You really shouldn't give up on a game because your too scared. Especially one as good as Bioshock, but its your choice.

I've never been in a similar position (Or at least I've never sold the game). Have I been scared by a game? Ya, especially when I was a lot younger, but I usually go back and try beat it. Its a little funny looking back at what use to scare me.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Me and horror games have a love/hate relationship, I hate getting scared but love beating whatever scared me if that makes sense... Usually brings out at lot of BRING IT OWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN moments.

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
While the whole dark foreboding-ness of it all kind of levels off (I would contest whether it truly goes away), the dilapidated state of the city and the grisly fate of its inhabitants really wears on the player over time. It is beautifully visceral, in that, once I finished the game, I needed several days to decompress from being immersed in a real downer of a scenario.

It's more of a Red Dragon type horror game than a Resident EviWWAAAARRGGGHHHHZOMBIIIIIEEEEES type horror game.

CultistRat

Sep 18, 2009
Bioshock isn't scary in the least after you get the machine gun. Spider splicers still make me jump a bit if they sneak up on me, though.

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
Yeah, it shook me up a bit the first time I played it. Mainly because I had never played a scary game before, (or since), but it affected me nonetheless.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Ever played Nightmare House 1 or 2 for Half Life 2?

I cannot, and will not play them, because I know I will void my bowels.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
I refuse to watch Stay Alive, too close to the heart as an avid gamer. As for scares, I'm a bit of a wimp when others aren't around. I'm still just as bad when others are, but at least I can scare them pissless too.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
Woah, woah, woah. You best be putting that disc back in the tray if you know what's best for you. Seriously though, the initial level (Medical Pavilion) is kind of scary, but you'll adapt to the game. It truly is a wonderful game, with a fantastic story. It freaked me out at times, but the game is definitely worth playing after all. I guess at these times it's best to...

(the important part is from 8-10s)

Rewdalf

Usually Sacrastic
Jan 6, 2010
Eh. I don't like scaring myself either, but my exception is that if you're with friends it actually gets fun...
Like playing F.E.A.R. in the dark. The three of us were freaked out by the end, but the memories we have today are of entertainment and not horror...

DatCracker

Nov 3, 2010
Fuck man, Silent Hill 2 and Fatal Frame 2 made me piss my pants and I still beat both games.
Bio Shock isn't so compared to SH2 twin vag monsters and the frighteningly tacky skirt Maria wears.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
dt61 said:
You should really give it another go. While the first little bit plays on light and shadow quite a bit, the rest of the game, at best, has flickering lights. Even that becomes negligable when you whip out Incinerate! (don't wait -- Incinerate!) and your firey hand of retribution can burn both the darkness and splicers to ash! Trust me, the game gives you a serious power trip as you get farther and farther in and notice even those Big Daddies are little dolls compared to your awesome powers. All in all, you just need to subject yourself to your fears once in awhile to know that if it ever came down to it, you're big enough to conquer them, even if it isn't terribly enjoyable at the time.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
DON'T SELL IT!

It's worth it, really. Get a friend to play it with you if you have to. It is more than worth playing, even if you're scared. Seriously, I cannot stress enough that you must keep it!

I get scared easily too, but seriously, it's worth it. So good!

shootdown

May 21, 2009
stay alive isn't very scary, its really not a very good film its just kinda interesting because of the game element.

but anyway i like scary games, not that i've played that many but the scary bits in bioshock were some of the most tense whatwasthatnoiseijustshatmyself moments i've had. I suppose i enjoy them because of the adrenaline buzz and the relief afterwards, kinda like how after you have a holyyshiticouldhavejustdied moment you feel exhilerated and happy.