Just played the first minute of Bioshock

northeast rower

Dec 14, 2010
Dead Space scared me so much that I kneed myself in the face. Nothing like your experience, though I stopped playing Doom 3 for about a month.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Well... Bioshock is creepy (It's in no way scary. People tend to over use that word far too much) in some places, but once you got over the initial "creepy" parts, you start to really get sucked into the game.

For me personally the only part of Bioshock I would consider even Scary, was the beginning of the garden part. When the creepy music comes on and your too paranoid to go any further in case something jumps out at you.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I was a massive wuss playing Bioshock. I actually downloaded a demo after hearing a lot about it, and because its the only way I know if I can play the game properly and therefore enjoy it. The demo included part of the same scene I believe, and I was fine with the plane crash and the swimming, it was only when you go into that first building and something attacks that pod lift (yeah I know, techical language)

Then I really started to pee my pants. It was about the same reaction I had to Dead Space really which I had daftly assumed was only scared because they said it was a 'horror' game and no 'horror' game was really that scary. I was wrong.

I loved it though, I am considering getting it but I'll wait until I get paid nearer Christmas :) and I've also considered Bioshock 2 but there was no demo, wanted to see if anything had drastically changed in controls.

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
dt61 said:
So a few weeks ago I asked a thread in which if Bioshock is worth a purchase and asked if it was actually scary. Well most said it wasn't bad and so I popped it in today and stopped after one minute. After the plane crash and you enter the building it was so dark and I'm afraid of the dark, so that didn't help. Also I quit after you start the machine that takes you to Rapture. So I think I figured out I'm the biggest wuss in the world. I'm selling it back on Ebay right away. Ever have a similar experience?

EDIT: If you want to know how scared I get, I cried to my friend begging him so that we wouldn't see this movie.

Yeah I recently started playing the game and I am completely lucky my friends were around to spoil every suprise while I played. Though actually it gets better as you play since eventually you can beef your guy with upgrades so much that enemies don't have a chance.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
lovest harding said:
The thing I hate (which also happens in a lot of games) is enemies popping up behind me.
The thing I hate about that is it isn't really scariness they're using but surprise. Of course I'm going to react to something jump at my monitor. Good games use atmosphere and sound to make you afraid, take the darkness I loved that game, but the ww1/hell/darkness level just freaked the hell out of me. Even when I knew I could kill anything just the bleakness of it wore me down.
the Dept of Science said:
The only game where I haven't been able to proceed because of the scare factor was when I played Thief 3's Cradle a few years ago.
Saying that I have recently got Silent Hill 2 so will need to see how that pans out.
Now that's a perfect example of a good frightening level, even though there's no threat in the first half and you can kill all the zombies if you have the right amount of gear, I just didn't want to play anymore.

TheEndlessSleep

Sep 1, 2010
Bioshock is more startling than actually scary, much like Deadspace. It's one of those things where stuff jumps out and goes 'BOO!' instead of actually terrifing you.

Besides, I maintain that you have to play a game for at least an hour before you decide whether you like it or not.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Awesomeforthemasses said:
Bioshock isn't scary in the least after you get the machine gun. Spider splicers still make me jump a bit if they sneak up on me, though.
I always used the souped up shotgun. Machine gun had too much recoil for my taste.

OT: There were parts of the game that were genuinely disturbing, such as when I harvested a Little Sister for the first time. I had beaten the game once already without doing so, and I wanted to see what would happen. Needless to say, even though they don't show anything, my imagination made sure I never did that again.

Also, anything involving Sander Cohen (much as I loved the character) was just plain wierd.

So in short, OP, under no circumstances should you sell that game!

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Bioshock was alright for me, I do get scared at games but I managed to tough this one out.

This scene was BY FAR the scariest for me:

Seriously, I absolutely shit myself at this part just because I was purely not expecting it.

Pirate Yoda Online said:
Bioshock is more startling than actually scary, much like Deadspace. It's one of those things where stuff jumps out and goes 'BOO!' instead of actually terrifing you.

Besides, I maintain that you have to play a game for at least an hour before you decide whether you like it or not.
Actually this guys description is pretty much perfect. Bioshcok was fun, and a bit scary, and Dead Space was borderline for me but I still managed to complete it.

Yet when I (try) to play games like F.E.A.R, or Amnesia: The Dark Descent I absolutely shit myself on several occasions and stop playing after 5 minutes. I guess it's the psychological fear that gets me more than the instant reaction to something scary.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
I'm an absolute horror wuss. I watched most of "The Descent" on fast forward or muted, couldn't play past the start of the second level of Condemned, and I had no problems with Bioshock. The thing to remember is THERE ARE NO CONSEQUENCES TO ANYTHING. Lose all your ammo? Either fight well with Plasmids/Wrench or just keep respawning. Eventually you'll be back where you were. I could use up ALL my ammo and EVE hypos on purpose, and 4 minutes later I'd be sitting on a stockpile.

Don't deprive yourself of one of the most awesome games out there because you're building the game up to be scarier than it is. Bioshock is atmospheric, and is very good at making you FEEL horrified, but nothing outside of Big Daddies (which are passive) will really challenge you until Hephaestus. And that's really only challenging because it catches the player at a transition period between weak and stronger Plasmids, so you're still using the most basic Electric attacks and can't stun for crap until you purchase upgrades.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
You should watch a playthrough (let's play) on youtube first next time. And the game is not scary, it creates atmosphere, and startles(?) you a whole lot. I liked it, But then I got stuck because of the no-cd crack I was using(on a laptop, don't want to lug around with all the disks), so I stopped playing not long after the fontaine take-over.
I couldn't pick up the second anti self destruct medicine, probably because of the trainer(cheat program) I used, I usually cheat on my first playthrough)

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
the Dept of Science said:
Do you reckon we will convince him to keep the game, then in 2 days we will get a thread called "Just played the second minute of Bioshock".

Appart from a few scenes, I didn't find much scare in Bioshock after the Medical Pavillion (the first level). I'm not sure why, but I found it a lot less scary when I was wielding an automatic shotgun and shooting bees from my arms.

The only game where I haven't been able to proceed because of the scare factor was when I played Thief 3's Cradle a few years ago.
Saying that I have recently got Silent Hill 2 so will need to see how that pans out.
I played The Cradle maybe a year ago after heartily enjoying the earlier parts of Thief 3. I made it up until my first encounter with an enemy, and... I lost it. I flipped out. I was stabbing wildly, running around, stumbling into the baddy, trying desperately to hide... Eventually I shut off the system. I don't think it can be overstated how scary The Cradle is, especially considering how Thief 3 has this sort of enemy logic, and from the brief bit I saw, the enemies in The Cradle fly in the face of everything the player thinks they know about how enemies work.

It's like if you're playing Hitman, and suddenly you get to this level where the enemies can fly and have force fields and are somehow really scary, too. The Cradle kinda turns the game on its ear.

Anyway, I think the scariest thing in Bioshock is just the jump-out stuff, like when a splicer sneaks up behind you, and you turn around and see it just before you get hit. That doesn't even happen that much except in certain places, and it doesn't have to happen at all if you look up how to get the Natural Camo gene tonic.

Aegixx

Aug 5, 2009
I went "Eek!" a few times with Bioshock, but I played on. I wouldn't really consider it a horror game. Just really, really, REALLY atmospheric. Remember the start of the game where the female splicer was singing to a baby in her pram? You look at the pram later and she was singing to a revolver. Awesome.

Now, Bioshock 2 isn't scary one little bit. Go play that.

Salviar

Dec 5, 2009
dt61 said:
So a few weeks ago I asked a thread in which if Bioshock is worth a purchase and asked if it was actually scary. Well most said it wasn't bad and so I popped it in today and stopped after one minute. After the plane crash and you enter the building it was so dark and I'm afraid of the dark, so that didn't help. Also I quit after you start the machine that takes you to Rapture. So I think I figured out I'm the biggest wuss in the world. I'm selling it back on Ebay right away.

I had a similar thing with Bioshock. Granted I got a little further into the game than you did (haha) but I understand what you're talking about. If you are that scared then it probably a good thing that you are selling the game on ebay. xD
Though I would seriously suggest playing the second Bioshock, if you still want to give the game a go. Because in the second one, since you're a big daddy, things are significantly less scary because you are big and have a massive drill right from the start. :3 I prefered the second one, actually, probably because I'm a scaredy cat too. :/

OT: I haven't ever found myself playing a game that's too scary though, because I know my level of 'frightening' tolerance and so I never buy games that exceed it. xD

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wow, Bioshock really freaks you out that much?
I actually don't like horror games at all, but Bioshock was really mellow on this, it was all just enough to add that little extra spice to it all.

But something like Dead Space is too much for me, actually had to put it down to take a breath and then I made my friend play it, and watching that game scare his pants brown was hilarious :D

Maybe that is the solution, rent Bioshock and a friend to play it for you...

Ralphfromdk

Mar 26, 2009
Amnesia: The dark descent.

Played it for one hour, didn't even see an enemy, but i was still scared shitless. I haven't touched it since.

Damn that was a good hour. Scary, but damn well done.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
The first minute is the only scary one in the entire game, get through it and you'll be fine

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Stay the hell away from Condemned: Criminal Origins and System Shock 2 if you think Bioshock is scary. It's a pretty enough game, but not a particularly fun game.

Crazie_Guy

Mar 8, 2009
I remember I used to get freaked out playing shooters all the time as a kid. I developed quite a fear of anything behind me in a game, probably because I was playing console games like turok, 007, and Metroid Prime where you can't turn around fast. And I played alone in a dark room at night because it was the only time my mom wasn't there to make me stop after just enough playing time to not really have any fun.

Once I starting shooting on PC and sunk my teeth into unreal tournament though, I quickly learned a more haphazard, running and gunning, objective focused mindset - and of course stopped fearing death. I'm not really scared by any shooter anymore. On the other hand, my UT training doesn't serve me all that well in games that are big on ammo conservation...