Just played the first minute of Bioshock

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
octafish said:
Stay the hell away from Condemned: Criminal Origins and System Shock 2 if you think Bioshock is scary. It's a pretty enough game, but not a particularly fun game.
Yeah, System Shock 2 is a hell of a lot scarier than Bioshock.

Consistently.

Right through the game. You never quite feel 'safe'.

STALKER: Shadow Of Chernobyl is also scarier than Bioshock.

Underground 'X' Labs and The Bloodsucker Village. Good times.

So, yeah not much help for the easily scared, but if you want atmosphere, enjoy.

VanillaBean

Feb 3, 2010
Well I guess I can't blame you for being scared considering that my 12 year old brother had the same experience.

Infernostrider

Feb 8, 2010
lovest harding said:
No. Because I know I'm not one for scares (I've never understood why people like being scared as I hate it) and I avoid games that could scare me. Although I didn't find Bioshock to be that scary. The thing I hate (which also happens in a lot of games) is enemies popping up behind me.
hah, im actually replaying bioshock 1 right now and last tuesday i went into this room, in the medical pavilion, where white dust blew in front of my eyes....and i turned around...
and although this is the third time i played this game it scared me so much i wacked my wrench on the splicer that appeared behind for about 10 minutes before i let up ><

anyway..bioshock has its frigthening moments, even places where i walk around dreading what might come...at least on my first full playthrough, and even now a couple places i only walk through with dread...
i love it, truth be told, because it immerses me into a game very nicely :D

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Believe I told you in that thread that the only scary part was during the beginning when you first enter Rapture.
Just keep going and when you get the wrench you can just go nuts on everything that moves!

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I picked up Amnesia in the recent Steam sale, and damn...everyone was right, you can keep your 'boo' cheap shocks of the REsident Evils, Amnesia understands, and it tightens up the tension every damn moment you play.

Of course, I'm playing it the right way, in the dark, with headphones, but I've not even really discovered anything, just been wandering around an empty mansion, and yet I still got the point where I thought 'why am I doing this to myself?' heh...

I just know I'll be going back in there soon however.

Happy Sock Puppet

Aug 10, 2010
Bioshock is one of the best games I have ever played. I heavily, heavily, suggest against selling it. It's quite an experience.

NeonV

Jul 1, 2009
I stopped playing Bioshock after the first 20 minutes or so. I WILL pick it up again since its story is held in such high regard but for now I'm concentrating on mass effect 2.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I only found it scary for the first 5 minutes.

After that it just annoyed the crap out of me.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
stick with it, youll find that eventually the shock will go away and be replaced by calm, its kind of weird but that totally happened to me in Bio 1 and Dead Space. I just got used to the freaky zombie necromorphs and then one day when one popped up i pulled up my cutter and shot the dang things legs off without hesitation looked around and realized they werent scary...they were badguys that needed killing.

best bioshock 1 moment was right after you get the pistol one of my (easily frightened) buddies was playing when a guy jumped out and he yelped and shot the baddie in the face killing him instantly. sometimes being scared helps.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Bioshock? Scary? *dies laughing* oh man....that's nothing. Play Penumbra: Overture or Silent Hill 2, those are scary.

agentapathy

Nov 11, 2010
I think i get you. this happened to me when i played the first three resident evils, three games which i was not able to finish because each of them scared the shit out of me (i was kid back then) and never ever since then i never had the gull to play them again. I finished RE4 without a hitch though and most of the silent hill games.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
lovest harding said:
No. Because I know I'm not one for scares (I've never understood why people like being scared as I hate it) and I avoid games that could scare me. Although I didn't find Bioshock to be that scary. The thing I hate (which also happens in a lot of games) is enemies popping up behind me.
You will most likely never finish Dead Space or Amnesia then. That's a shame, two great games that everyone should play :(
-Tabs<3-
That's okay. My best friend loves Dead Space. She enjoys it enough for both of us. xD