Just played the first minute of Bioshock

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Bioshock never really scared me.

The only game that had me feeling really tense was Dead Space, but it wasn't really all too scary.

I would feel courageous if I wasn't deathly afraid of squid for some reason.
Just like Samuel L Jackson's character in The Sphere(if you've ever seen that)

OT: Bioshock never "scared" me, I admit at first I had that feeling of dread like "Dammit, I know if I go in here, shit is gonna pop out and attack me as lights flicker and things scream", but I still never beat it. For some reason I can't bring myself to play it for more than an hour and ever go back to it

Bang25

Dec 6, 2010
I did ALMOST the same exact thing the first three times I tried to play Bioshock. There's a part where you see the shadow of a man performing a surgery on a wall at the other end of a dark and flooded room. When you get close enough, the room goes pitch black for a few seconds while the scariest, most foreboding violin is blasted into your ear. Then the light's are turned back on. The shadow on the wall is gone, and you can hear something faintly 'click' behind you. It scares me just thinking about it.

It does'nt get any worse than that though. The game stays creepy, but not scary.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
dt61 said:
EDIT: If you want to know how scared I get, I cried to my friend begging him so that we wouldn't see this movie.

LOL I totally forgot that movie existed, I alwys recalled that movie but I could never remember what it was called.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Bang25 said:
I did ALMOST the same exact thing the first three times I tried to play Bioshock. There's a part where you see the shadow of a man performing a surgery on a wall at the other end of a dark and flooded room. When you get close enough, the room goes pitch black for a few seconds while the scariest, most foreboding violin is blasted into your ear. Then the light's are turned back on. The shadow on the wall is gone, and you can hear something faintly 'click' behind you. It scares me just thinking about it.

It does'nt get any worse than that though. The game stays creepy, but not scary.
Yep. That's when I quit the game.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Its really only the scary at first.
Thurn the brightness up, give it alittle while, and once you start lobbing fire and lightening at stuff, you wont so much as flinch.

pwnzerstick

Mar 25, 2009
All I have to say about that trailer is, IN SOVIET RUSSIA GAME PLAY YOU!
OT: Bioshock is hardly a horror game, although it does have a creepy atmosphere, what Bioshock IS though, is an amazing game that you should definitly play.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
at first I thourght Bioshock was a little scary but its not so bad after a while

dead space wasn't scary at all but I still love it

I always considered myself to scare easyly but I think I've been desensitised a little

mindlessvulgarity

Aug 23, 2009
I love playing scary games with a mate. Just taking it in turns. It always turns into us jumping and screaming like little girls and then the controller sitting on the middle of the sofa neither of us wanting to touch it and then usually fits of giggles. Ahh good times.

the Dept of Science

Nov 9, 2009
Do you reckon we will convince him to keep the game, then in 2 days we will get a thread called "Just played the second minute of Bioshock".

Appart from a few scenes, I didn't find much scare in Bioshock after the Medical Pavillion (the first level). I'm not sure why, but I found it a lot less scary when I was wielding an automatic shotgun and shooting bees from my arms.

The only game where I haven't been able to proceed because of the scare factor was when I played Thief 3's Cradle a few years ago.
Saying that I have recently got Silent Hill 2 so will need to see how that pans out.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
lovest harding said:
No. Because I know I'm not one for scares (I've never understood why people like being scared as I hate it) and I avoid games that could scare me. Although I didn't find Bioshock to be that scary. The thing I hate (which also happens in a lot of games) is enemies popping up behind me.
You will most likely never finish Dead Space or Amnesia then. That's a shame, two great games that everyone should play :(
-Tabs<3-

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The beginning of BioShock wasn't that scary for me, maybe just really tense. I found it be creepy as hell to be sure, but even that one Medical Pavilion jump scare really didn't freak me out too much. You should continue to play it though, it's a good game.

Also, like others have said, the fact that you find a respawn machine every time you turn the corner, makes the game lose all it's tension.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
The first bit of Bioshock is kind of creepy thinking back on it. I've played a few games where I found myself actually scared the two best examples being Deadspace and Manhunt. I think it's fun to be scared on occasion because I'm rarely scared so its different from what I usually experience and that's nice from time to time.

Schlagwerk

Nov 5, 2009
Bioshock really sucked me in with its story and atmosphere but I can't say I've been scared by it. There's a few parts that are a little spooky but nothing terribly frightening.

ajemas

Nov 19, 2009
It's a shame that you couldn't make your way through it, as it is really a phenomenal game. I highly suggest that you give it another go, or at least have a friend play through the scarier parts for you. If it is any consolation, the horror parts are dropped very quickly.
You know, I had a similar experience once. In Resident Evil 4, the Regenerators scared me to no end. It took me weeks to get past that section because I kept on having to pause the game out of sheer terror. I'm happy that I managed to get through it, (I had my brother sit with me while I played it) because it is still one of my favorite games of all time, due in no small part to the last parts of the game.

Dismal purple

Oct 28, 2010
I don't react well to scares at all. I get freaked out by things that aren't even supposed to be frightening. Ravenholt in Half-Life 2 and indeed the first minutes of Bioshock really got to me.

Also, minecraft.

Despite that though, I managed to complete the Penumbra series and are now working my way through Amnesia. I'm not sure how or why I do it.

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
dt61 said:
So a few weeks ago I asked a thread in which if Bioshock is worth a purchase and asked if it was actually scary. Well most said it wasn't bad and so I popped it in today and stopped after one minute. After the plane crash and you enter the building it was so dark and I'm afraid of the dark, so that didn't help. Also I quit after you start the machine that takes you to Rapture. So I think I figured out I'm the biggest wuss in the world. I'm selling it back on Ebay right away. Ever have a similar experience?

EDIT: If you want to know how scared I get, I cried to my friend begging him so that we wouldn't see this movie.

If you don't like being scared don't play the Condemned games, fucking scary, not just pop-out boogeyman scary, actual oppresive apprehension scary, and playing scary games is good, after defeatig whatever it is that scares you you feel impowered, I have lots of "I just made fear my *****!" moments when playing scary games.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
AlternatePFG said:
The beginning of BioShock wasn't that scary for me, maybe just really tense. I found it be creepy as hell to be sure, but even that one Medical Pavilion jump scare really didn't freak me out too much. You should continue to play it though, it's a good game.

Also, like others have said, the fact that you find a respawn machine every time you turn the corner, makes the game lose all it's tension.
See I think of this differently. Maybe I think about things too deeply. The fear of death didn't make BioShock scary to me. Big Daddies weren't scary at all. But those people who were just stuck in misery, depravity, and paranoia creeped me out to no end (along with the scares from being startled). Even if they wanted to end their lives, they couldn't. They're just stuck. BioShock wasn't scary to me in a monster movie kind of way. It was scary to me in the way seeing a starving man being left with no choice but to eat a dead child is. I guess disturbing is a much better word.

The loss of humanity in people is something that will never cease to terrify me.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
I don't get why everyone thinks Bioshock is supposed to be scary, the main appeal is the story, unique setting, and atmosphere, not scares. How could it be scary when your character is basically a human tank with almost every power and weapon conceivable?