Just why is PC gaming the master race?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Treblaine said:
Mr. Omega said:
Uhh you know Cliff Blezinksky for Gears of War 2 actively encouraged trash-talking and that cursing our and verbally abusing your competition was "the way you are supposed to play". Xbox Live is a by-word for shit talking and being generally unpleasant to everyone who joins the event. It's down right unpleasant.

Left 4 Dead games on Xbox Live is fucking INUNDATED with team-killing griefers, yet to spite 300 hours on the clock for both Left 4 Dead games, all with completely random team-mates I have met only like 7 who actively team-killed. On PC people immediately apologise for accidentally shooting you and will stick together through the worst, I got knocked down short of the helicopter and two of them jumped out from the safety of the chopper to rescue me. We all died but still "Good game, that was fun" "Shame we didn't make it"

Black Ops on PC, the FAMAS has not been patched though other genuine glitches have been patched, why? Because the community doesn't constantly whine and complain about every time they are killed by someone with a FAMAS, the accept that one guns is quite good. I mean the FAMAS haters, by god, it's gotten out of hand.

I hear console black-ops player genuinely amazed that they hear of Ghost users on PC shooting down air support and spy planes, that people in last stand are revived, and other team friendly things... just don't happen on 360 and PS3. It's just an unpleasant community.

On PC if you trash talk and are abusive, you will be kicked by the admin. THAT is something console gaming critically lacks, admins to police games to make sure people play fair and play nice. I DON'T come home from work to have to suffer being cussed out and verbally abused whether they win or lose, and to have to pay EXTRA for this as well, when most games have no dedicated servers... you see why PC gaming is so valued?
1: Cliffy B. is an insane jackass. And not in the good way.

2: I'm not saying XBL is a good community either. I'm just saying with the various MOBA games, the post-Uber Update TF2 community and WoW "we have such a better community" is not exactly a solid piece of ground for PC Gamers to be standing on. And there are still nice players on XBL, just as there are a-holes on PC.

3: I do agree, dedicated servers would be great on consoles. That much I think is a point in PC Gaming's favor.

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
PC gaming certainly has its advantages. To say otherwise is just... wrong. I just don't care about them. Nor do I appreciate being looked down on because I don't feel like spending what little free time I have fiddling with Windows to get a game running. I did it for a good 10 years. I've had enough. I'll stick with my PS3.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
scorptatious said:
Treblaine said:
Left 4 Dead games on Xbox Live is fucking INUNDATED with team-killing griefers, yet to spite 300 hours on the clock for both Left 4 Dead games, all with completely random team-mates I have met only like 7 who actively team-killed. On PC people immediately apologise for accidentally shooting you and will stick together through the worst, I got knocked down short of the helicopter and two of them jumped out from the safety of the chopper to rescue me. We all died but still "Good game, that was fun" "Shame we didn't make it"
Really? I've played the Left 4 Dead games on the 360 and I've met very few people like that.
Well maybe I had a bad week but I'm really impressed by the team-commitment and good sportsmanship I see on PC that is so much rarer on 360.

Lordpils

Aug 3, 2009
PC gaming is far better in terms of how it plays then console gaming and anything you can do on a console can be done on a PC and usually better. HOWEVER there are two major things that should be mentioned:
1. Consoles don't need to be upgraded as often (usually only a hard drive change) which is much kinder on ones budget.
2. PC gamers shouldn't act like elitist dicks console gaming is just as legitimate as PC gaming and console gamers aren't hurting the games industry.

I don't pick my games based on preference for a gaming device I pick games based on which it would be most convenient to play it on most of the games I play on the PC are old classics (Arcanum, Bloodlines, The Longest Journey, Icewind Dale) and most of the games I play on console I play because I don't feel like upgrading my PC. Just my thoughts.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
The Holy Chaotic said:
I don't play PC's for one reason... they suck!

Ha, no, I'm kidding. I don't play them because I can't really afford a nice gaming PC. That's pretty much the major reason (60% of the full reason) I don't go along with the PC camp.
Not all PC games are graphics-monsters:

-minecraft
-most Valve games
-Doom (with Zdoom mod)
-Duke Nukem 3D (with eDuke emulator)
-Serious Sam
-

It's not a huge commitment to try PC gaming. I mean you are pretty much there already in how you are using a PC right now. And look at what you can do with a graphics card that costs as much as a new console game:

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
I play games on both PC and console, and while I don't say console owners are inherently inferior, I will say I think the PC is a better system. Perfect? No. It is better though, assuming you have a good system.

Better graphics, quicker loading times, better interface, the ability to mod the games, the ability to copy the disk to your drive so you don't have to remember where you put the damn thing, the ability to play on either screen or TV, keyboard and mouse OR controller . . . as much as I love my PS3, I struggle to think of anything that it really has the PC beat on.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
Treblaine said:
Mr. Omega said:
Uhh you know Cliff Blezinksky for Gears of War 2 actively encouraged trash-talking and that cursing our and verbally abusing your competition was "the way you are supposed to play". Xbox Live is a by-word for shit talking and being generally unpleasant to everyone who joins the event. It's down right unpleasant.

Black Ops on PC, the FAMAS has not been patched though other genuine glitches have been patched, why? Because the community doesn't constantly whine and complain about every time they are killed by someone with a FAMAS, the accept that one guns is quite good. I mean the FAMAS haters, by god, it's gotten out of hand.

I hear console black-ops player genuinely amazed that they hear of Ghost users on PC shooting down air support and spy planes, that people in last stand are revived, and other team friendly things... just don't happen on 360 and PS3. It's just an unpleasant community.

On PC if you trash talk and are abusive, you will be kicked by the admin. THAT is something console gaming critically lacks, admins to police games to make sure people play fair and play nice. I DON'T come home from work to have to suffer being cussed out and verbally abused whether they win or lose, and to have to pay EXTRA for this as well, when most games have no dedicated servers... you see why PC gaming is so valued?

2: I'm not saying XBL is a good community either. I'm just saying with the various MOBA games, the post-Uber Update TF2 community and WoW "we have such a better community" is not exactly a solid piece of ground for PC Gamers to be standing on. And there are still nice players on XBL, just as there are a-holes on PC.

3: I do agree, dedicated servers would be great on consoles. That much I think is a point in PC Gaming's favor.
And yet Cliffy B is one of the most important and influential voices in console gaming... he was not called out for what he said nor was he encouraged to retract it. The point is what he said and continues to say is the most poignant example of how bad attitudes in the field of console gaming.

In my experience there are far more foul-mouthed trash talking losers, griefers and trolls on the unpoliced Xbox Live communities. I'm using a FAMAS in black ops on 360 and two team-mates are trying to box me in and generally shit talking me. On PC playing black ops you can use any weapon in the game without consternation, and if the game went well then it ends with a round of "Good Game" "GG" "GG" all around. Yet on Xbox Live I have NEVER had a positive thing be said to me. Never "good kill" or "good game". I think the Xbox Live headsets was supposed to be for friendly team banter but instead it's just verbal Diarrhea.

Dedicated servers are a key part of this good community, as one person is left with personal responsibility for good governance of their play area, it'a like a game without a referee. Now on console were everything must be owned corporately and paid for this is far too expensive. But on PC where servers are owned by enthusiasts they ahve the dedication that salary can't buy at an economically viable rate.

Simply implementing dedicated servers on console isn't enough, they MUST be opened up to the fanbase to own and run. That is something that is completely against the console way of doing things.

Mr. Omega

Jul 1, 2010
Treblaine said:
Mr. Omega said:
Treblaine said:
Mr. Omega said:

And yet Cliffy B is one of the most important and influential voices in console gaming... he was not called out for what he said nor was he encouraged to retract it. The point is what he said and continues to say is the most poignant example of how bad attitudes in the field of console gaming.

In my experience there are far more foul-mouthed trash talking losers, griefers and trolls on the unpoliced Xbox Live communities. I'm using a FAMAS in black ops on 360 and two team-mates are trying to box me in and generally shit talking me. On PC playing black ops you can use any weapon in the game without consternation, and if the game went well then it ends with a round of "Good Game" "GG" "GG" all around. Yet on Xbox Live I have NEVER had a positive thing be said to me. Never "good kill" or "good game". I think the Xbox Live headsets was supposed to be for friendly team banter but instead it's just verbal Diarrhea.

Dedicated servers are a key part of this good community, as one person is left with personal responsibility for good governance of their play area, it'a like a game without a referee. Now on console were everything must be owned corporately and paid for this is far too expensive. But on PC where servers are owned by enthusiasts they ahve the dedication that salary can't buy at an economically viable rate.

Simply implementing dedicated servers on console isn't enough, they MUST be opened up to the fanbase to own and run. That is something that is completely against the console way of doing things.
1: Cliffy b.
It's quite clear you are thoroughly convinced of this idea, and no amount of saying "He's just one jackass who makes one game series and is by no means a good measuring stick of the entire console market" is ever going to convince you, so I'll just drop that.

2: Dedicated Servers
It can be done. It'd be hard, but that doesn't make it impossible. That's really all that can be said at this point. It's more an industry matter than a "our community is better than yours" matter.

3: CoD fanbase.
As stated before, I agree the XBL CoD players are much worse. I think your claims of "PC Users are always friendly and good sports while XBL players always swear and rage" is just you being hyperbolic and generalizing, but the general point still stands. Still, console gamers play games other than CoD, you know...

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Gecko clown said:
Face it guys, the only thing keeping the PC alive is Steam.
There are other things keeping the PC alive

1) The age of the current generation of consoles, allowing the PC a vast margin of technical superiority.

2) Some entire genres do not really exist on consoles. Such as Real Time Strategy and MMORPGs.

3) The ability to mod games.

4) That you need a PC anyway for work, internet etc, so you may as well play whatever will run on it. Which is quite a library even on an old laptop.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
As stated before, I agree the XBL CoD players are much worse. I think your claims of "PC Users are always friendly and good sports while XBL players always swear and rage" is just you being hyperbolic and generalizing, but the general point still stands. Still, console gamers play games other than CoD, you know...
It didn't start with that, it started with:

"our (PC) communities for the most part are less terrible."

Less.

Generally it is true. When was the last time you played online on Xbox Live and your opponent congratulated you? Even after you beat them? For me it was 2 hours ago on Black Ops... on PC. That's not hyperbole or generalizing.

And that whole match, I didn't have to endure any verbal abuse directed at me. I could never go a whole match without hearing some trash talk on XBL, the only way to avoid it is to mute everyone from the start.

Yes, console gamers play games other than COD, Gears and Halo are also saturated with trash talking griefers. The FAMAS was patched on console because it was good gun, it was not overpowered, it was used by good players and the community was so childish the nerfed it ridiculously.

Wolfinton

Jan 1, 2010
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Wolfinton said:
Scizophrenic Llama said:
For the most part: People want to justify why they spent $1,200 on a PC versus $200-300 on a console.
If you spent that much on a PC you've just been conned, my good fool! You can get a PC that is better in tech than the console for easily £400 and if you spend more you've just made it last longer meaning you don't have to buy a by-then cheap graphic card that'll allow you to continue.

Sick of people saying PCs are that expensive. Do some research.
I spent $1,200. However, I future proof my computers when I make them new as opposed to just upgrading. So I'm sure I'll still be using this same computer(I doubt I'll upgrade at all for at least the next three years) by the time the next generation of consoles is starting up.

As for the last statement, I never said they were expensive. What I was saying is that the people who do spend the $1,200 tend to be the ones who feel entitled to gloat about the master PC gaming race more-so than those who don't.
Ah, that makes me sense. Sorry for coming off as rude, I assumed you were one of those who listened soley to the people who bullshit about computer prices constantly. My appologies. A computer that expensive will last you a considerable amount of time, and even when it is "out of date" you'd still only have to update your graphics card sololy.

Mr. Omega

Jul 1, 2010
Treblaine said:
Mr. Omega said:

Less.

Generally it is true. When was the last time you played online on Xbox Live and your opponent congratulated you? Even after you beat them? For me it was 2 hours ago on Black Ops... on PC. That's not hyperbole or generalizing.

And that whole match, I didn't have to endure any verbal abuse directed at me. I could never go a whole match without hearing some trash talk on XBL, the only way to avoid it is to mute everyone from the start.

Yes, console gamers play games other than COD, Gears and Halo are also saturated with trash talking griefers. The FAMAS was patched on console because it was good gun, it was not overpowered, it was used by good players and the community was so childish the nerfed it ridiculously.
I repeat, I agree the XBL community is worse than PC on CoD. Using CoD and Halo as the sole measure of all console gamers is like me using EVE and HoN as a judge for all PC Gamers. CoD, Halo and Gears =/= the entire console market. Uncharted has a good community, and Killzone has decent players. Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter have some decent communities (as long as you don't run into vocal tournament players), even Wii has an ok Smash Bros. and Mario Kart community, despite the unorthodox methods of getting players online together. Saying all console communities are trash-talking little shits based soley on CoD and Halo (which is what everyone does) is just something that grinds my gears.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Gecko clown said:
I've just gotten really pissed off with this one guy who, despite being a member of the master race, just raged at everyone who made the slightest criticism of the PC as a gaming platform. And I'd just really like everyone who does this to stop. It's not the master race, and it just makes you look like a nob when you shout at people for saying that PC gaming isn't absolutely perfect in every way. Now before ANYONE shouts at me I would like to say that I play games on the PC and consoles and, despite both of them having their pros and cons, they are both about the same on quality. PC has mods and the mouse is much more suited to fps' than the Xbox controller but the keyboard, oh god the keyboard.

People who rage at console gamers for being console gamers are only making themselves look like dicks. Face it guys, the only thing keeping the PC alive is Steam.

Now let the foruming commence!

(Please no raging.)
Although you are right... The keyboard is hardly an argument supporting consoles because PCs can use joysticks/gamepads too.

The reason people 'think' PC gaming is best is because they dwarf the current consles in power WITH the power of modding and most of the features that consoles have. The best way to say this would be something like...

The xbox and ps3 are basically outdated gaming PCs. On paper, the PC is better than the xbox and ps3 in terms of hardware by far, without the built in limitations that the consoles have. They have their pros though. They are cheap, easier to setup etc., generally more user friendly than a PC is, which is fine.

However I think everyone should agree with me that it's been far too long since this generation of consoles and it is at a point where people are being held back at the graphics/sound capabilities of what a game could do in order for it to work on consoles.

But you're right the people claiming some superiority over the gaming platform they use are idiots.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
Treblaine said:
Mr. Omega said:

Less.

I repeat, I agree the XBL community is worse than PC on CoD. Using CoD and Halo as the sole measure of all console gamers is like me using EVE and HoN as a judge for all PC Gamers. CoD, Halo and Gears =/= the entire console market. Uncharted has a good community, and Killzone has decent players. Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter have some decent communities (as long as you don't run into vocal tournament players), even Wii has an ok Smash Bros. and Mario Kart community, despite the unorthodox methods of getting players online together. Saying all console communities are trash-talking little shits based soley on CoD and Halo (which is what everyone does) is just something that grinds my gears.
Sorry, but Xbox Live especially has across the board really atrocious reputation and one well deserved. Not just Halo/gears/COD (which already makes up the lions share of Xbox Live online. Name an Xbox Live game with a considerably large community that isn't inundated with trash-talkers or griefers? Left 4 Dead on 360 had it in stark contrast with the PC community. Particulalry the team killing griefers.

And the way Steam is constructed it prevents you having to deal with trolls. Like how you can't send personal messages (XBL hate mail) and can only chat with someone you becoem friends with. This keeps chat friendly chat. It's those little things that are so important.

Though I own a PS3 I haven't played many of their games online, the only one I found enjoyable enough to go back to was Uncharted 2 co-op but it is utterly silent, no one has a mic and no text communication either. Lack of any communication is no solution, there is no friendly banter or constructive communication. That is a LACK OF community, by default that means they are not as bad as Xbox Live but it's not great.

I don't own a Wii yet, though I didn't even know any Wii games had any significant online community as I thought it was so fractured with friend-codes the main multipalyer mode used is split-screen.